Just got banned for levelling to quick(is it unbalanced?)

The Bonz

*Story time*

Iv been playing zomboid on and off since it came out on steam. Ill play for awhile then take a break untill a few more builds/features  are released. Iv clocked up nearly 300 hours. not much for some but i think its enough to have a understanding of the game.

Now that the game has advanced a bit i thought ill try my by monthly zomboid playing on a MP server. I found a public server that was occupied most the time. Was the 1st time i seen a server with consistent numbers let alone a average of 10-20(gets 30-40 at prime time). 

So i did my zomboid time all online, and it was great. made friends,enemys,bases,get raided, events(i won a fishing event). I was mostly a solo player, i could set up a base and stash within 2 days. And with item respawning on said server there was no issue of any resource. I was set up in woodlands near the firing range and the mall. so had full shelves of ammo,weapons,medical,ect.

To try and not make the story to long. At one point i was in westpoint helping some good people, i broke my leg. went to the church that was a spawn and ment to be no pvp. Called for a medic to help speed it up, while wishing new spawns good luck and something to do while i wait for it to heal. A guy comes in, turns on pvp and kills me(goodby 1 1/2 weeks survival)

So i respawn, me and a random guy end up beating this guy to death with golf clubs. And i go on my way. back to my hut to get supplys to level aiming. now prior to this, i would get my shotgun and boxs of ammo. With police job and fast learner i could get around 1000 zombie kills and still not be level 10 aiming.

i had previously herd people say in chat how easy it was to level aiming with pistol. So along with my shotgun i bring extra boxs for my pistol. i run to a group of house close and bunching the zombies up, pull out my pistol and wow..Between 2-5 minutes later, maybe around 5 boxs of bullets and a total count of 24 zombie kills. i had max aiming. It was late so after this i go back to my hut and log out.

I jump on the next day and say something like "level 3 to 10 aiming in around 2 minutes, not balanced at all". I then get told this is impossible by one of the admin and i must must be cheating. i say  i can tell you but do you really want everyone running around with 10 aiming?. I then get told i must say it to save myself. So i say you "use a pistol against a large horde of zombies, i think it scales with more zombies like sneaking"

Before i can say i also have fast learner and am police class i get kicked and banned..after a month or so on this server..

*End Story time*

So  now, if anyone knows. i would like to know just how leveling aim works. Dose it scale with how many zombies are around? and why dose pistol give so much more then a shotgun? i did a quick test after i got banned. Started a single player game and ran straight to the police station. It took abit longer then 5 minutes because it was a fresh map, no beta blockers and took time to bunch the zombies together. With about 5 boxs i got this in aiming

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410189845

Either way, it seems unbalanced. just the fact that 1000+ zombie kills with shotgun got me around 8-9 aiming and around 25 zombie kills and 5 minutes got me max aiming.

Sprinting is one thing and its kinda nice to level it alot quicker then it used too. But on a  MP server that has free PVP and quick respawn. You can make one trip to a (insert weapon spawn locaton here) get a pistol and boxs of bullets, find a big pack of zombies and get level 10 aiming. Technically within 20 minutes of starting a fresh spawn. And that seems unbalanced and is deadly for the people that just run around WP and KoS.

If your talking single player you can just play sandbox and increase the XP gain. On a MP game its just too easy to get to the point of being max aim and deadly with firearms(8x zoom hunting rifle monster)

Thats a shame. Shooting can REALLY get a lot of points.... Mr. Admin, please top up... Man, sorry for ya. I get a lot of points for shooting herds, I had 3 XP points for killing a small herd of zombles. Man, feeling bad for ya. Especially if it was a server you loved.

When i was checking it in SP i was getting around 150 exp per shot at level 5 aiming, i dont know if it goes up with level or more zombies around. It did suck how quickly i got kicked and banned. But now it seems i can rejoin the server, i dont know if they just kicked me(they did say before i DC that i was banned) or they lifted the ban..or even if you can ban people.

I can see it from there point of view. But the fact it was so quickly dismissed as lies and impossible and then kicked and banned(was about 30 seconds from when i said "aiming is unbalanced" to kick and "you have been banned from the server") Has tainted my zomboid experience now. Even though i can join the server ill probably bench zomboid for a few updates again. I might join and show some of the good guys on there where my hut is with 30-50 boxs of all ammo,all guns,mods,tools multiple sledge hammers ect.

Not taking anything away from the game though, it still one of my favourites and one of the best early access games i got. But once you have a understanding of how the game works it becomes easy. Im not excited for NPCs(well i am) im more excited for the end game difficultly spike thats makes lasting a month a huge thing(a few updates ago i got to one year).  And every update that comes seems to add substantial stuff to the game

Hello Bonz,

I am sorry to hear this. Lately the server has had a bunch of cheaters reloading characters. One way we deal with it is banning the characters they use so they have to deal with remaking new ones and forced to take it as a warning after being told not to reload characters.

I am sorry you were not fully investigated by my staff before they took action in this situation. I will be discussing this with my staff to prevent further issues like this from occurring. I am deeply sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you and your experience with Project Zomboid.

I will be remove any bans that have been imposed on you. Just let me know the name of your character. Thanks!

Thanks zeek, like i said, its understandable. it was a busy time of the day and they where just doing what they thought was right. Besides this time, iv always seen the GMs being helpful. For along time i was playing under the name Haze but not long ago it seemed to break itself and i clicked join server.The intro screen would happen and i would see map loading and stuff down bottom. But when it said click to continue nothing happened. I had to delete the player folder from my save and made a new one "The Bonz" not long ago.

While ill probably bench zomboid for awhile its not because i got banned. only a few hours after all this happened i could join the server again.It just brought to ahead the " i need to take a break" moment.

I tryed to make a good post in the other topic, just to show how much i have enjoyed my time and its by far the best public server i have played on. You have a great mix of players and i hope it continues to go well

But now the topic no one wants to talk about. This aiming scaling bug. I had a quick look through bug tracker and couldn't find a post on it. So yeah, now you all gonna hate me for bringing it up but ill have to post it later.

But now the topic no one wants to talk about. This aiming scaling bug. I had a quick look through bug tracker and couldn't find a post on it. So yeah, now you all gonna hate me for bringing it up but ill have to post it later.

Well, you've done it now ;)

Just remember everyone, it's The Bonz's fault :D

You told the admin how it was done, and instead of investigating the issue you get immediately banned anyway?

If it were me, at most I would have politely asked you to log out and stay logged until the issue is investigated.

Bans are supposed to be a last resort for extreme behavior and repeat offenders, not just tossed around because you just assume something suspicious is impossible without cheating IN AN EARLY ACCESS GAME.

Well, you've done it now ;)

Just remember everyone, it's The Bonz's fault :D

This is hilarious. In Czech, "bonz" (or "bonzovat" as a verb) is when you tell somebody in the position of power about someone's illegal activities :D

To try and not make the story to long. At one point i was in westpoint helping some good people, i broke my leg. went to the church that was a spawn and ment to be no pvp. Called for a medic to help speed it up, while wishing new spawns good luck and something to do while i wait for it to heal. A guy comes in, turns on pvp and kills me(goodby 1 1/2 weeks survival)

So i respawn, me and a random guy end up beating this guy to death with golf clubs. And i go on my way. back to my hut to get supplys to level aiming. now prior to this, i would get my shotgun and boxs of ammo. With police job and fast learner i could get around 1000 zombie kills and still not be level 10 aiming.

i had previously herd people say in chat how easy it was to level aiming with pistol. So along with my shotgun i bring extra boxs for my pistol. i run to a group of house close and bunching the zombies up, pull out my pistol and wow..Between 2-5 minutes later, maybe around 5 boxs of bullets and a total count of 24 zombie kills. i had max aiming. It was late so after this i go back to my hut and log out.

I jump on the next day and say something like "level 3 to 10 aiming in around 2 minutes, not balanced at all". I then get told this is impossible by one of the admin and i must must be cheating. i say  i can tell you but do you really want everyone running around with 10 aiming?. I then get told i must say it to save myself. So i say you "use a pistol against a large horde of zombies, i think it scales with more zombies like sneaking"

Before i can say i also have fast learner and am police class i get kicked and banned..after a month or so on this server..

I am an admin on this server (not the one that banned you) I am just hearing about this now since I have been away.

But if you would like my two cents:

-If an admin is threatening to ban you (which in the case it seems this admin did) Please do not hesitate to come on to the teamspeak and talk to us directly. I do not think it's the best idea to post against a server when you should have just posted a bug report and/or talked with admins directly. There should be no excuse for you not to come into the teamspeak to talk to us, especially if you are a long time member of the server.

-False bans happen all the time. Even people acting as vigilantes get banned (the ones who reload their character to kill a cheater, then get banned themselves because our logs show what they did) We have banned people that were 100% innocent before. You have to understand that this game IS early access, much like BoogieMan said, and there are bugs that none of us had seen before. Like the PVP bug** for example.

-The Church is a PVP free zone because it is a spawn point, not a safe zone. If you go there to use this spawn point as a safe area to do stuff away from PVP, you will be killed by trolls. The point of the rule against PVP inside the church is to protect new spawns from having their starter kit's farmed from them, or just spawn killed in general. For now, think of it as an off-limits for everybody but new spawns zone. The description on the spawn point helps us as a disclaimer, helping us mitigate the amount of PVP that does happen, if it does. It says: Westpoint Church (NO PVP).

**The PvP bug was when a bandit would see someone and turn pvp on and shoot right way without waiting for the timer to countdown. This would confuse the client into thinking the player was still 'Green' but the server now thinks he's 'Red' - This led to bans without the player understanding why. Obviously an easy bug to accidentally have happen to you. Well players reported they were invincible, since the server would put a skull on them but they were green on client, and couldn't be injured and thus bans happened. It was only days after I figured out the bug and posted it which can be found in the link below for ref**

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/tracker/issue-1433-pvp-on-or-off-or-what-just-broken/

Regardless, I am empathetic towards you about this as lots of things are not 100% clear. The Church's purpose, the fact that the admins (including myself) have never been able to get that amount of aiming that fast even with spawning in 1000 zombie hordes and such, and because the game right now is generally pretty vague and hard to control and effectively debug. 

I do apologize if this post seem's hostile, I just wish players and admins could get along and help eachother better the game. We do have many regulars in the teamspeak that do help us find bugs, [real] hackers (ones that get shot 36 times and not die). characters that reload, etc. I also apologize for the unlawful ban - we will be talking to the admin about the actions he took and to hear his side of the story as well.

All is not lost Bonz - but please be respectful towards our decisions. We are humans too, and we make mistakes. I hope you can understand and forgive this incident and continue to play on our server.

Fixed. It was awarding XP for each possible target, not just the ones that were actually hit.

So now we only get exp when we hit ? So if my skill is 0 and I hit 4 out of 15 shots I only get exp for those 4 hits? It will make lvling aiming so much harder.

Fixed. It was awarding XP for each possible target, not just the ones that were actually hit.

So now we only get exp when we hit ? So if my skill is 0 and I hit 4 out of 15 shots I only get exp for those 4 hits? It will make lvling aiming so much harder.

It looks like you'll get the XP even if no damage was done.  Basically the fix just limits the number of XP additions to the max number of enemies that can be hit by the weapon.  (4 for shotgun for example) 

Archived