Eating tooth paste.

Bennytheowl

It would kill you. Eating toothpaste would give you zinc poisoning. It says not to eat it on the tube. I think it was either 1 whole tube or half a tube would be fatal or something like that.

Yeah. I'm not totally sure if it'd be outright fatal in most cases, as usually there's not enough fluoride in toothpaste, but it certainly would be very bad for your health and almost definitely cause you to vomit, which pretty much eliminates any help the hunger reduction would give you. Even without any fluoride the stuff is still not good to ingest.

Maybe it could be used as a cake ingredient. Get bit? Make yourself a cake with toothpaste filling and wash it down with some bleach, then go on a shotgun rampage. Delicious.

Still, theres plenty of stuff in the game that doesn't make sense..just trying to make use out of a useless item, because I honestly think there is too many misc items that don't have a use and should. Wouldn't have to be the whole thing either, maybe just a tiny bit for the tastebuds?

I mean it could still be a feature...you can drink bleach and that kills you.

EDIT: damn i've eaten toothpaste before, well i'll be dead soon.

It would kill you. Eating toothpaste would give you zinc poisoning. It says not to eat it on the tube. I think it was either 1 whole tube or half a tube would be fatal or something like that.

Yeah. I'm not totally sure if it'd be outright fatal in most cases, as usually there's not enough fluoride in toothpaste, but it certainly would be very bad for your health and almost definitely cause you to vomit, which pretty much eliminates any help the hunger reduction would give you. Even without any fluoride the stuff is still not good to ingest.

Maybe it could be used as a cake ingredient. Get bit? Make yourself a cake with toothpaste filling and wash it down with some bleach, then go on a shotgun rampage. Delicious.

I don't think we can really consider vomit a valid point considering you can drink an entire container of bleach haha

I don't think we can really consider vomit a valid point considering you can drink an entire container of bleach haha

Well, the bleach does kill ya.

I could see toothpaste being another edible item that acts as a much more mild poison, however. Could just give you a sickness variant or something like that. Could be used as a poison in food maybe? Would need a 100% chance of noticing, though. Even if you can't directly see it in food, you're gonna taste it as you bite in and probably before you swallow and it can do anything to you. Then again, the same goes for some other existing poisons which, I believe, have a chance of not being detected.

When the zombie apocalypse comes I'll probably just use toothpaste tube caps as currency. 

I could see toothpaste being another edible item that acts as a much more mild poison, however. Could just give you a sickness variant or something like that. Could be used as a poison in food maybe? Would need a 100% chance of noticing, though. Even if you can't directly see it in food, you're gonna taste it as you bite in and probably before you swallow and it can do anything to you. Then again, the same goes for some other existing poisons which, I believe, have a chance of not being detected.

When the zombie apocalypse comes I'll probably just use toothpaste tube caps as currency. 

Makes more sense than Fallouts bottlecaps considering the amount of noise they must make.

I'll fashion a toothpaste gun and squirt it at my enemies, then lick the end of the gun clean and fall over dead.

Makes more sense than Fallouts bottlecaps considering the amount of noise they must make.

I'll fashion a toothpaste gun and squirt it at my enemies, then lick the end of the gun clean and fall over dead.

A rugged survivor dramatically walks into a bathroom, their face covered in blood and sweat, a grizzled expression on their face. Suddenly, they notice something.

A toothbrush and toothpaste.

"Oh god, it's been months since I've been able to brush my teeth..."

The simple things really do bring joy nowadays. Reminders of the Old World. Before everything went to hell. Before the Infection.

He turns the sink on, picks up the toothbrush, and squirts out some toothpaste. He smiles and runs the toothbrush under the water for several seconds and begins to brush his teeth. Suddenly, from the shower behind him emerges one of the Infected. Seeing it in the mirror, he draws his axe in less than a second, taking off the monstrosity's head with one clean blow. That is when it happened. He accidentally swallowed a drop of toothpaste.

"Oh God, no..." he mutters to himself. But it's too late now. It's already begun. This is the end.

Remember kids, don't ever brush your teeth in the apocalypse.

No need to worry about keeping your teeth from rotting, anyway! If your teeth rot, they can't eat rotten food. As such, you're obviously much safer! 

I frankly thing that eating toothpaste is the worst thing you can possibly do in this game, aside from leaving the oven on or drinking bleach. Why?

1. You burn more calories swallowing the paste than you get from consuming it.

2. It has several things that can get you sick.

3. It cannot really kill you that fast, but you are getting sick really fast probably.

4. Not because it is toothpaste that it can kill you in large amounts. Anything can. A woman that drank 30 liters of water in a drinking contest almost died. From WATER. You know, the thing we are composed in out of 70%?

5. Most of toothpaste brands taste like sh*t.

I frankly thing that eating toothpaste is the worst thing you can possibly do in this game, aside from leaving the oven on or drinking bleach. Why?

3. It cannot really kill you that fast, but you are getting sick really fast probably.

4. Not because it is toothpaste that it can kill you in large amounts. Anything can. A woman that drank 30 liters of water in a drinking contest almost died. From WATER. You know, the thing we are composed in out of 70%?

Not to detract from your point too much but it does not take a huge amount of toothpaste to poison you though. 2 tubes is enough to be completely screwed, one tube could probably enough to kill you without medical help (if I recall correctly, probably varies by brand etc). It takes a very large amount of water to be consumed to get water poisoning or drowned from it. So yes large amounts of anything can kill you, but toothpaste is a bit more dangerous than water. Another fun fact, 1 gram of pure caffeine is fatal. It is a very potent drug. If I recall my calculations correctly, it would take 500 cans of coca cola to ingest that amount of caffeine. Caffeine also causes paralysis in insects.

Everything is lethal in excessive measure.

Lol I think we all get it by now, I mean who says it doesn't make sense? when i first got the game I drank bleach without realising it would kill you, i mean it didn't outright say "this will kill you" and i didn't think the game had that much detail. add tooth paste eating in the game and BAM some newcomer will chow it down only to discover it does nothing but disadvantage you, thus adding more layers to the game.

Not that I actually care about adding it, it was just a thought. Honestly I was watching south park and cartman was starving so he ate tooth paste and that gave me the idea.

Lol I think we all get it by now, I mean who says it doesn't make sense? when i first got the game I drank bleach without realising it would kill you, i mean it didn't outright say "this will kill you" and i didn't think the game had that much detail. add tooth paste eating in the game and BAM some newcomer will chow it down only to discover it does nothing but disadvantage you, thus adding more layers to the game.

Not that I actually care about adding it, it was just a thought. Honestly I was watching south park and cartman was starving so he ate tooth paste and that gave me the idea.

I'd also enjoy a show about farting canadians in PZ. ;)

Jokes aside, i think pretty much everyone is reading the wiki as they start, as the starting guide doesnt explain much. However, it would be a nice way to punish the ones who do not understand logic or plain just don't read the wiki. No offense if you're too much of a man not to read the wiki, but i seriously think it will help you.

Just like in the game The Escapists, most people read the wiki. If you don't, you can find crafting notes in different spots or just buy them. In PZ those aren't implemented, and in some way, you are forced to cheat. I didn't know sheet ropes existed before reading the wiki, and sheet ropes saved me from a trillion situations.

To shorten it out, it would punish a really small number of people that think that the game is unrealistic, and you can drink bleach to restore your thirst without any consequences. Same with toothpaste. But i don't think it would be a bad idea at all. Still, instead of punishing newbies, shouldnt we try to make them learn at the start..? Just a random thought.

Offtopic

Please note that i never would suggest something such as crafting notes in the actual time, because the game tells you automatically how much of what stuff you need for each thing.

If it wasnt like this, this game would turn probably turn as confusing as Minecraft without reading the wiki. Maybe, in some kind of ''hardcore'' mode you need to remember every ''recipe'' for carpentry, campfires, etc. Only giving you the option to build them once you have the materials for it, instead of telling you right away. Suggestion inside a suggestion. Suggestception.

Wow.. This got really offtopic :mellow:

Imma shorten this with the art of BBCode before someone tries to rectify this tread like a tree spine.

I'd also enjoy a show about farting canadians in PZ. ;)

Jokes aside, i think pretty much everyone is reading the wiki as they start, as the starting guide doesnt explain much. However, it would be a nice way to punish the ones who do not understand logic or plain just don't read the wiki. No offense if you're too much of a man not to read the wiki, but i seriously think it will help you.

Just like in the game The Escapists, most people read the wiki. If you don't, you can find crafting notes in different spots or just buy them. In PZ those aren't implemented, and in some way, you are forced to cheat. I didn't know sheet ropes existed before reading the wiki, and sheet ropes saved me from a trillion situations.

To shorten it out, it would punish a really small number of people that think that the game is unrealistic, and you can drink bleach to restore your thirst without any consequences. Same with toothpaste. But i don't think it would be a bad idea at all. Still, instead of punishing newbies, shouldnt we try to make them learn at the start..? Just a random thought.

Offtopic

Please note that i never would suggest something such as crafting notes in the actual time, because the game tells you automatically how much of what stuff you need for each thing.

If it wasnt like this, this game would turn probably turn as confusing as Minecraft without reading the wiki. Maybe, in some kind of ''hardcore'' mode you need to remember every ''recipe'' for carpentry, campfires, etc. Only giving you the option to build them once you have the materials for it, instead of telling you right away. Suggestion inside a suggestion. Suggestception.

Wow.. This got really offtopic :mellow:

Imma shorten this with the art of BBCode before someone tries to rectify this tread like a tree spine.

Some people only read the wiki when they feel the need e.g. "Hmm How do you bandage? i'm going to search bandage in the wiki"

and considering it's unlikely that most people would actually think eating tooth paste in a video game would kill you, most people probably don't even know a tube of tooth paste is enough to kill. Like i said, i'd say most people who actually used the wiki wouldnt read enough to know about tooth paste, they probably search the usual crafting stuff ect.

I never used the wiki until i really needed it because I feel it spoils a lot of the game if you already know what everything does or is used for before you even find it. Also i'm going to have to disagree with you about the small number of people, newcomers mostly don't take the game seriously enough to think "oh i better check tooth paste on the wiki just to be sure it won't rot my insides". i've had to warn all my friends before they played not to drink bleach.

I think it;s better to find stuff out than be told it. It's funny to let people make those first mistakes because not only do they learn by themselves they also get the enjoyment of messing up early when their worlds and characters won't mean as much to them. I'd be pissed off if tooth paste eating was added and I ate it with my 4 month old character, but i'm experienced enough in the game to know that everything is trying to kill you where as some new boy with a hairless chest and smooth hands ain't gonna know a tube of tooth paste from a tub of bleach.

Some people only read the wiki when they feel the need e.g. "Hmm How do you bandage? i'm going to search bandage in the wiki"

and considering it's unlikely that most people would actually think eating tooth paste in a video game would kill you, most people probably don't even know a tube of tooth paste is enough to kill. Like i said, i'd say most people who actually used the wiki wouldnt read enough to know about tooth paste, they probably search the usual crafting stuff ect.

I never used the wiki until i really needed it because I feel it spoils a lot of the game if you already know what everything does or is used for before you even find it. Also i'm going to have to disagree with you about the small number of people, newcomers mostly don't take the game seriously enough to think "oh i better check tooth paste on the wiki just to be sure it won't rot my insides". i've had to warn all my friends before they played not to drink bleach.

Not a tube, but probably lots. I dont know, if it took out a really decent amount of hunger people would start abusing it. And surprise, it can make you sick or maybe kill you.

Toothpaste itself isnt poisonous, but in some way, your stomach doesnt quite know what it is,so it just goes ''Meh'' and just passes it down.

When this raw toothpaste goes to other organs it can damage them because of the chemicals the stomach was supposed to dissolve. These chemicals are supposed to be minimal because you are supposed to brush your teeth with them. However, just like the chemicals ''clean'' your teeth, it does the same effect with your intestines. However, it is dangerous for them.

So, if instead you brush your intestines instead of your teeth, you would probably end with a pretty bad disease, which cannot be taken care of in the middle of an apocalypse.

Stomach, you slacker! Get dissolving those freaking chemicals! <_<

Not a tube, but probably lots. I dont know, if it took out a really decent amount of hunger people would start abusing it. And surprise, it can make you sick or maybe kill you.

I was thinking of it more like a stick of gum...an appetite supressanted that doesn't have any nutritional value but adds to the survival aspect of the game. Not that it makes much sense because hunger is just one moodle it doesn't actually cause any stomache pains.

I should probably say that i'm not actually defending the tooth paste idea, I accepted that its not worth putting in the game after the first 3 posts lol...but still its fun to imagine.

I was thinking of it more like a stick of gum...an appetite supressanted that doesn't have any nutritional value but adds to the survival aspect of the game. Not that it makes much sense because hunger is just one moodle it doesn't actually cause any stomache pains.

I should probably say that i'm not actually defending the tooth paste idea, I accepted that its not worth putting in the game after the first 3 posts lol...but still its fun to imagine.

Its not that its not worth putting, but at the actual time, i think the devs are focused on things as hunting, trapping, etc. I think gum could be a stress reliever but can make you sick in excessive use. However, i think sickness is a minor aspect right now, just like depression. I'm sure the devs will put things such as this after they finish the most important parts of survival, such as ways of getting food, water, temperature control and mental stability, etc.

Another fun fact, 1 gram of pure caffeine is fatal. It is a very potent drug. If I recall my calculations correctly, it would take 500 cans of coca cola to ingest that amount of caffeine. Caffeine also causes paralysis in insects.

That's crazy!

If my quick Google skillz, and calculator use is correct, it would only require just under 34 and a half standard cans of coke (12 fl oz, American style Coca-Cola) to ingest 1 gram of caffeine.

Low calorie coke contains even higher levels of caffeine - you'd need less than 25 standard cans for a total of over 1 gram caffeine!

Then again, common sense says 1 gram of caffeine is not a lot, and a quick Google confirms that 400mg of caffeine (~4 strong cups of coffee, or 8-10 cans of cola) per day is still well within the 'healthy' caffeine dose for adults, and 14,000mg is a likely fatal dosage (that's 140 grams, for you math folks).

Fun fact - You'd need to drink around 140 strong cups of coffee to have a high chance of fatality from the caffeine content alone, not to forget that's around 35L of liquid!!

Edit: I know that ramble was a little off topic, but my BS sensor was tingling, and I had a spare couple of minutes to open Google in another tab.

I don't know about fatal, but common sense also implies that eating toothpaste would be highly detrimental to your health - without even running the factual numbers.

Its not that its not worth putting, but at the actual time, i think the devs are focused on things as hunting, trapping, etc. I think gum could be a stress reliever but can make you sick in excessive use. However, i think sickness is a minor aspect right now, just like depression. I'm sure the devs will put things such as this after they finish the most important parts of survival, such as ways of getting food, water, temperature control and mental stability, etc.

I agree more important matters. on an unrelated note I hope to see actual specific illnesses with differen't cures in the game one day, possibly things like urine infections from only drinking orange soda and that would take a different kind of antibiotic to be properly cured (shitty example)