Taking farming inside.

willow512

Perhaps it's possible to build a new structure, a few wooden planks with a load of earth stashed in there, a makeshift flowerpot. Idea being that you can then grow some plants indoors, or on non grass tiles.

Disadvantage is that you can't depend on rain for watering. (Unless you happen to be in the large warehouse ;) )

Advantage is that the zombies won't step on those little plants in your attic.

Perhaps it's possible to build a new structure, a few wooden planks with a load of earth stashed in there, a makeshift flowerpot. Idea being that you can then grow some plants indoors, or on non grass tiles.

Disadvantage is that you can't depend on rain for watering. (Unless you happen to be in the large warehouse ;) )

Advantage is that the zombies won't step on those little plants in your attic.

Good idea.

I'd go for this, but you need the plants near an open window, so you'd have to be safe checking on your plants, or build a zombie wall around your house to block zombies but allow light in windows. Maybe even going as far as adding a gravity based watering system?

I would try to make this as a mod, but way out of my comfort zone and time frame :( but would love to see this as a mod or in vanilla PZ.

Edited by kinyoshi

I'd like to see that, too...

Think the Idea is really good...

But won't you have to add a new container for the earth, like a portable mini-crate... or you allow us to fill a bucket with earth. for example you have to equip a bucket secondary and a shovel primary and dig a hole to get a bucket of earth.

I'd love to see indoor and rooftop farming implemented.  Not being a farmer myself I can't say if this is a viable solution for growing food long-term.  Still, I want this.

Here's a thought, though.  Right now farming is the only thing tying us to the ground - if we can make rooftop gardens, do you think people with just start building "survival huts" on legs with no first story and never leaving?

I was actually thinking of building a roof garden on top of the NW warehouse. What else am I going to use that big flat, walled around roof for? :)

I would just need some empty containers (empty plaster bag, bucket, whatever), dig up some earth and carry it up there. I would probably need quite a lot but not much more than I need to plaster a whole house. Maybe I would need to craft some flowerbeds from wood, but that's about it. And the rain could water it just like on the ground.

This would be great, the zombies couldn't occupy my plantation (like they usually do).

No way the average person could set that up.  You need special... everything.  And even then it doesn't always work.

lol its easy.... anyone with a decent amount of intelligence should be able to figure it out pretty fast... 

It depends if you're talking about 'proper' hydroponics (feeding the plants nutrients through enriched water), or just an indoor growing collection in dirt that can water itself.

As CrazyEyes said, I doubt many people would even know where to start when trying to craft a proper hydroponic setup, let alone trying to find a supply of nutrients to use.