Climbing walls

Drious

Hello everyone !,

So as you can read it in the title, does the option of climbing walls will be implemented in the future? because an average person could (maybe) easily climb a 2,5 meters wall, so why not adding this feature. In my opinion it would add some more "vivacity" to the game, it would be nice too if there was some factors that could influence your climbing skills like being feeble, weak or athletic, strong...

Thank you for reading and feel free to leave your impressions down below.  ;)

No, Im pretty sure the average human cant climb a wall thats half a meter taller than him/her

Arms up the air and your half a meter taller. Then a little jump and you can hang ontop and drag yourself up to jump over. If this was implemented, it should take time though. Like have the player hang around for like 3 or so seconds, then sit on the wall and rest for 2 seconds and then jump down and recover for 1 second.

Hm I see your point but I have to say your numbers are off here. First off 2.5 meters comes out to about 8.2 feet. I real do not think a average person could climb a wall that high. Maybe a trained soldier could clime a wall that high.

Now if the player took the trait fat they would have trouble climbing a 1 meter wall.

This is a good idea it just has to have the numbers looked at. I do not think the walls are even that high in the first place. And lets not forget chain link fence much easier to climb then a wooden fence. is at any size. This is on the right track and I like it.

yeah i think i think i exagerated a little for an average person but if you actually train you'll get a very effective wall run

here's a guy performing a wall run : 

as you can see the wall height is beetween 2,80 and 2,90, so if you actually train properly you could easily get to 2,50-2,30 in a month or less (personally i have succesfully climbed a 2,37 wall, yes i measured it, and  i'm not that tall : only 1,69m) the devs could add a probability of falling too it would be more realistic

thank you for reading :)

I don't mind the idea, but don't forget that we're the characters here that we're playing are meant to be Joe Average Survivor; if Athlete or Stunt Man were introduced as professions then I'd say have that ability set with those career paths specifically.

Also it's not something that you'd be able to do with carrying much past a bottle of water and some snacks, let alone a fully laden rucksack, and I'm not leaving my rucksack full of scavenged goods behind :)

Climbing wire metal netting and some fences seem to me pretty easy, i always wondering why we can't do that. Especially with the new height wire netting we got now in the map.

Maybe put an action time when we Climbing and make us vulnerable to got hook/grab/scratch by zombies or shoot by others survivors ( pretty easy to shoot someone climbing a fence XD. )

Anyway i'm definitively for this. Do IT RJ plz :D

Also it's not something that you'd be able to do with carrying much past a bottle of water and some snacks, let alone a fully laden rucksack, and I'm not leaving my rucksack full of scavenged goods behind :)

I dont know, I can climb through windows fine with 5 logs in my backpack so I don't think logic plays much of a part here lol

I think a fairly reasonable proportion of people are capable of climbing higher walls than their Zomboid avatar can.

However, I'm for gameplay over realism on this issue. If you give the player the ability to climb high fences then they can escape the Zombies easier, and the game becomes less of a challenge.

The map has been designed specifically around what you currently can and cannot climb and this would mean the player is a lot more free in their movement. Those restrictions are part of what gives us a challenge.

Keep things as they are, I say. Yeah, I could probably climb that fence in real life - but the game rules make it clear that I can't and I can live with that without feeling hard done by.

I don't mind the idea, but don't forget that we're the characters here that we're playing are meant to be Joe Average Survivor; if Athlete or Stunt Man were introduced as professions then I'd say have that ability set with those career paths specifically.

I think you could throw it over a medium high wall, like one thats 0.5-1 meter higher than you. That should however degrade the condition of some items.

As I am myself a professor in wallism and fencementship I must tell you, that in this world, there are many different kind of walls. This may. Now sound like higher physics to you, but you can believe me - it's true.
In detail walls are different. And I am not talking about height. It's about their design, accessoires and shape.

So, if you want to climb a wall you should think about, what's its surface like? Is there anything I can't put my hands at to pull me up? Maybe a box next to the wall? Pipes? Window shelves? Maybe there is a second wall on the other side, so it's a... Forgive me.. It's a street valley? .. So you can put arms and legs on both walls and push yourself upwards between them.
Next question would be, the material. If it's a flat wall of cement, there ain't much ways to climb it except for brute force, like running, jumping, panzerfaust. If it's a brick - or stone wall, you can get grip between the elements. If it's a wall out of thin steel or wood, you might be able to cut some holes or niches into, which you can use for better grip. The most happy wall of all would be the steel fence. With squared elements there is nothing easier to put hands and feet into, so probably there ain't no limitation for you to climb up as high as you want. I once did it myself because of science, and I challenged a football field fence of about 40ft, which now makes me a cool person and granted me that degree in higher wallisment.
A bonus feature would be your equipment. If you have a ladder, you can climb a wall. If you have a rope with a stone at its end, it might be of value too. Its all a question, of knowledge, reparation and reason. If there is a horde of zombies behind you, it's probably possible to forget about those lousy physic laws and JUMP THAT FREAKING WALL!

I hope I could show you some deeper insight in the great science of walls and their social behaviour. In addition, it might be said, that friend can help you getting u a wall, too, but I generally shot friends first in the apocalypse, as they are the primary source of problems. Nevertheless zombies care much about friendship. And so it might be a possible situation, that if a crowd of them try to get through a wall because they saw you on top of it, the brawl onto each other and become themselves a ladder that get some of them through dat wall.

Anyway, if your swing me personally, I think climbing could break this game. If I am not anymore bound to the urban situation, I don't feel it. Zombies in the basement? Climb next level - they never find the stairs.
It's not a no-go I think, but personally I don't like it that much. The zombie climbing would be much cooler for me.

-snip-

Anyway, if your swing me personally, I think climbing could break this game. If I am not anymore bound to the urban situation, I don't feel it. Zombies in the basement? Climb next level - they never find the stairs.

It's not a no-go I think, but personally I don't like it that much. The zombie climbing would be much cooler for me.

It depends on how the devs want to make that game. 

Do they want a realistic experience where you can climb walls and easily lose zombies like you could in real life?

Do they want a hardcore experience where you can't climb easily climbable walls so that the challenge of the game isn't taken away?

Do they want a mixed game? 

I think it should be a server / sandbox option. Like "Climbing / Parkour: [Zombies: Human, Medium, Slow, None] [Humans: Realistic, Mixed, Unrealistic, None]" or something like that.

-snip-

It depends on how the devs want to make that game. 

Do they want a realistic experience where you can climb walls and easily lose zombies like you could in real life?

Do they want a hardcore experience where you can't climb easily climbable walls so that the challenge of the game isn't taken away?

Do they want a mixed game? 

I think it should be a server / sandbox option. Like "Climbing / Parkour: [Zombies: Human, Medium, Slow, None] [Humans: Realistic, Mixed, Unrealistic, None]" or something like that.

I like the idea of adding more things to sandbox but at some point you have to draw the line.  I mean if we're going to be able to set how many chairs spawn per house or something it's going to get crowded and irritating to fill out the sandbox options.

I think that your suggestion is reasonable but we need to be careful and not get into too much painful detail or it will get a little...abstract

I wouldnt mind having it where you can climb walls but there has to be a limit. You cant climb a wall that is a good 2-5 meters taller than you. possibly 1 meter but that is a little bit unbelievable. The idea needs work but i like it. Possibly when erosion comes out vines can gown on fences and walls and you can use them like ladders but they may break or you can fall injuring yourself.