Released: Build 28.3

RobertJohnson

Another thing I was looking forward to was when NPC's are in the game, clearing an area of zombies and then seeing how the NPC's reacted to area's that now have a low zombie population and also the shift in dynamics the game would take at that point as it would become more about survival from man at the late stage of the game, which is what I think in really life it would eventually become. Zombies would still be a threat as the meta game would eventually move zombies from a populated area to you or alternatively you would unknowingly drag zombies to your area. All this is now not possible as of the new build due to zombies being able to re-spawn.

It's also not possible as of the new build since NPCs are not actually in the new build, so they can't have any reaction to it.

All this respawning stuff is basically just a temporary crutch implemented to keep at least some level of long term threat around for those who want it, especially in MP, just like the helicopter and gunshot noises happening without an ingame source. The crutches get removed as more detailed mechanics for the same purpose get implemented and polished, such as the metagame zombie migrations.

Basically the point is, don't make any long term conclusions to the effect of the game being ruined because of some possibly temporary and optional measures being implemented.

I think you misunderstand the point of this, even when you leave an area an return to it the zombies there are 'spawned' again. It is literally not even going to be distinguishable from them flocking into an area.

And also how on earth is it fun when you know you have nothing to worry about? I think the very ability of a single person to clear an area is laughable because then it would just take a few hours for the army to rock up and save everyone anyway since Average Joe with the hammer could do it..

You don't have nothing to worry about, if you cleared a small area of the map new zombies will get drawn in due to the meta game and you going out of your current area to get more supplies. I personally feel that even if you do effectively clear an area of the map new zombies will move in very soon due to you being in that area and the meta game moving stuff towards you.

I feel if you make it so that zombies can also spawn on the roads it will become more like last stand mode and you will literally just have zombies coming at you constantly, which wouldn't make sense as it should take a bit of time for new zombies to move into an area, I feel this adds more of a dynamic feel to the game as opposed to just being constantly bombarded with zombies every second of the day no matter how many of them you kill.

-snip-

Changed the zombie "spawning" sentence as it's a bad, bad word in English and you all missundertand what I meant, zombies WON'T SPAWN IN FRONT OF YOU, stop thinking that, we explained it a tons of time in this thread and that "please no zombies respawn it'll ruin everything" keep coming.

So now the new phrase is :

Added experimental population management: after an area is abandoned by the player, new zombies will migraite slowly from this point. I'll need feedback on it. :)

Still not the best system, but better than nothing (please think about the people playing on public server where there's always 10-20 people on it, there's no more zombie...)

Hope it'll be clear for everyone :)

This is the closest we've ever come to zombies migrating, actually. At the end of the day, new zombies have to come from somewhere. The end goal is for it to be something like the edge of the map, but for now having them migrate along the highways makes sense (it'd be the path of least resistance for them to move).

Everyone just needs to stop having a knee-jerk reaction to the word "spawn" and actually pay attention to what's being said. Further, you're completely ignoring the fact that RJ has reiterated several times that this is temporary while we work on another solution.

You don't have nothing to worry about, if you cleared a small area of the map new zombies will get drawn in due to the meta game and you going out of your current area to get more supplies. I personally feel that even if you do effectively clear an area of the map new zombies will move in very soon due to you being in that area and the meta game moving stuff towards you.

*Buzzer sounds* Wroooooong. Thanks for playing, contestant. But seriously, the meta game currently doesn't move zombies around at all. The only effect of sounds is to move zombies in your current area towards the source. No new ones are spawned, none are moved from any long distance away, and the metagame doesn't control zombie movements at all.

I feel if you make it so that zombies can also spawn on the roads it will become more like last stand mode and you will literally just have zombies coming at you constantly, which wouldn't make sense as it should take a bit of time for new zombies to move into an area, I feel this adds more of a dynamic feel to the game as opposed to just being constantly bombarded with zombies every second of the day no matter how many of them you kill.

I feel you should play it before making sweeping generalizations that are flagrantly untrue.

*Casts Level 4 Augment Zombie*

About the notes, will this dynamic extend to writing journals too? Where instead of crafting a journal and then 'consuming' it by reading it you instead get the happiness bonus by crafting/writing it yourself?

And will it be possible to use a screwdriver or something to break a window lock from the inside to keep it from being opened by other people?

Really looking forward to the listed additions, can't wait :)

Zombie migration, not respawn*

And how can I have feedback if I set everything as optionnal ? I almost never have any feedback on stuff, test it before going "i don't like it"

The players that like it are the 99% that don't come onto the forums specifically to bitch about it without even trying it yet.

I personally am super excited for the fix that makes zombies migrate to inhabited zones more often. And hordes. Hordes that my players don't know I spawned.

Problem adding in molotovs in is that you can guarantee that griefers will be everywhere on multiplayer servers.

I have seen it happen on several servers already just with players setting themselves on fire and destroying safehouses on purpose.

i have said this before because its true, you are one of the best inde devs, you guys are working hard on iproving the game as well as adding features. i have been with the game for a year or so, and let me tell you, i am extremly happy with this investment, its been amazing seeing this game go from very little features to an amazing zombie game with tons of features and more to be seen, like i said i am glad to support you guys! :D

i actually dont see any issue with zombies just "spawning".

lets face it, especially in MP, at some point the map is gonna be cleared of zombies. what long term motivation is there to keep on playing then ?

a good thing here would be, from day one, a constant spawn of zombies that move across the map. like the number of zombies outside the mall in Dawn of the Dead ... they just keep on getting more and more...i dont need an explanation where they came from.