Is a soft reset suposed to wipe characters!?!

marfiuss

in servertest.ini or whatever u named it, in user/yourname/zomboid/server/  youll find a line "ResetID=xxxxxxxxx" xxxxxxxx being a set of numbers, those numbers change on a soft reset and if they change then youll force each player to make a new character,so if you dont want new chars make a backup of your ini or that line of it and after the wipe replace it, but i think a soft reset would need new characters as the map data seems to be in each players save game so they see stuff that isnt there sometimes.

This is where I point out that soft reset was removed from all releases, aside from one. It's currently a "use at your own risk," function.

Now, it looks like for build 26, something has been done to prevent clients from keeping their character data, despite the server being reset to defaults. Not sure what to do about that (if this is the case and not some freak occurrence on our server.)

i agree a soft reset needs new characters, it seems some map data is stored client side that makes it keep the old map data for areas you have been and shows you the old map (before soft reset) with the dead zombies and busted windows...etc till you go thru that area and leave and come back, hard to explain i guess, but my save game was like 350mbs after our last map on our server and i did a soft reset and i had to go thru a area and come back for it to look fresh.

marfiuss, "EasyPickins" (The post before this one) has given you the solution there but if Enigma is right, is it true then, that this solution won't apply to Build26 servers? That's pretty devastating to those of us hoping to have persistent worlds running.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. New to the forum here...

I run a server, and I like being able to do the softreset once a week. But a lot of my players are tired of making new characters, or having to back up their character data once a week before the wipe.

So does backing up the servertest.ini and it's ResetID number work for saving the players characters ? Or do they get ereased no matter what ? I'd really like to not force my players to back up their stuff all the time. Many don't seem very computer knowledgable, and it gets tedious walking new players through the process several times a week.

Nice to know you dev's are listening to the community! :)

After a soft reset we've noticed all the world data remains persistent except for the zombies, that is to say, the zombies no longer re-populate the map afterwards.  We're currently kludging it by having our admins log on and populate it themselves! :)