ToastedFishSandwich

Hi all.

I've made a mod in which killing a zombie spawns two zombies nearby after a short delay unless the original zombie was on fire. There will soon be options for whether fire should stop them respawning, the delay before the new zombies are spawned and the distance they should spawn at.

My hope is that this could lead to some interesting gameplay by forcing you to think about whether it's worth killing one zombie now only to have to deal with more in a few seconds. If you have any suggestions or feedback then please do voice them so that I can improve the mod.

This works on the latest IWBUMS (as of the 20th of June 2017).

To install all one must do is put the zip into their Username/Zomboid/mods/ folder, right-click it and select "Extract All" in the drop-down menu.

Download (Full Package)

Other versions returning soon...

Download (Kill it with Fire {No positional change})
Download (Delay Only {No position change} [No Fire])
Download (No Delay {Or positional change} [Or Fire])
Download (Build 23)

Edited by ToastedFishSandwich

This is a great idea. It will make me change my game play no longer will i be able to mass kill zombies with my shotgun. And picking a safe house will be more of a challenge.

Just a few questions.

Are the zombies spawned to a random area or near where you killed the zombie?

Are the zombies that are spawned Fresh zombies or are they the weaker slow ones?

Did you change the loot table at all since zombies can be farmed forever?

Any way great idea i am always looking for a way to make the game harder so thanks :)

As of right now the zombies are spawned right where you killed the zombie instantly but I'm working towards the possibility of a 10-30 second delay and a random, locational, offset could be included too, I'm not certain if they're fresh or rotten but I'd assume they'd be fresh. The looting issue is something that didn't even occur to me but now you've mentioned it I might just have to change it up a bit. Although the amount of zombies you'd have to kill to get anything useful would go on to create a massive horde which you obviously then wouldn't be able remove.

I'm glad there is some interest and I'd love to see some kind of challenge run.

a little hazy on this, i kill one and get two in return. what happens if i kill the two new zombies, do i get 4 in return, or does the mod somehow identify the zombies that were in the game and distinguish them from the mod spawned zombies, making it so only the "original" zombies give you the 2 for 1 deal?

I will test now!

They definitely do. That was completely terrifying. I killed a zombie with a kitchen knife, then when the new ones spawned they instantly started attacking me so I spammed the kitchen knife insta-kill attack which created a small horde in seconds. I'm not sure that playing this mod with running zombies would even be possible without finding a firearm in the starting house.

I would totally download it if Zombies spawned in a random location, preferably somewhere really far away like the edge of the map. Then i would build a huge fortress and wait for the Metagame to lead on larger and larger hordes to my doorstep and see how long i can survive.

But having zombies spawn near you immediately is just not for me.

I would totally download it if Zombies spawned in a random location, preferably somewhere really far away like the edge of the map. Then i would build a huge fortress and wait for the Metagame to lead on larger and larger hordes to my doorstep and see how long i can survive.

But having zombies spawn near you immediately is just not for me.

Quoting for visibility. Done! Unfortunately the way it works for now is rather hacky and might crash the game. I haven't tested it yet and I'm still working on a better way.

Ignore, I don't think that this will work. I am almost done with delaying the spawning though. Should I include that in the main download or offer it as an alternative? Delay is finished.

I made a special version just for you. It's actually really awesome because the transition from one zombie to twenty was more gradual so you don't realise that you're surrounded until it's too late. As with the other versions, this is for Build 25 and features fire permanently killing them and a short delay (I might shorten the delay even more in future versions of this branch though). As usual, please do leave feedback for me so I can improve the mod.

Download

• 2 weeks later...

Something like this is really needed for mutiplayer. Zombies are killed off and new ones have to be added by admins. If there was a way to add them in groups or auto in random areas, that would really help out. Kill 2, 3 appear or something. Or after 30 killed 35 appear someplace. Anyways just an idea.

• 2 months later...

New update. In the 'Full Package' version zombies spawn in a circular radius around the original, unless it died on fire, after a short (possibly too short) delay. Go ahead and try it out, I've tested all of the features I just mentioned and everything seems to work perfectly.

Remember that I'm always happy to create a custom version of the mod to alter things on requests (within reason).

Also, I'd love to see some Let's Plays of this mod so get on it guys.

Edit: Wow. So I just started a survival world with the mod because 'Why not?' and I was somewhat surprised to find that it's actually really fun. Because I know that every zombie I kill will spawn more I've just been sneaking around and, unlike in vanilla, I actually care about getting spotted because I can't just back off and kill the one zombie that spotted me. It's also really tense every time I have to go outside because of the three or four zombies which are loitering on my lawn.

• 2 years later...

I installed it in my mod for my server in MP but sadly it didn't work.

function duplicateFunction(this)

if this:isOnFire() == true then
      table.insert(zombieDupe,{0,this:getX(),this:getY(),this:getZ()});
   end

end

after I fixed a few codes, I wanted to make zeds spawn only when they die on fire (etc. campfire kit) but nothing happened.

6 hours ago, justcrow said:

function duplicateFunction(this)

if this:isOnFire() == true then
      table.insert(zombieDupe,{0,this:getX(),this:getY(),this:getZ()});
   end

end

after I fixed a few codes, I wanted to make zeds spawn only when they die on fire (etc. campfire kit) but nothing happened.

Create a zombie must be operated by the server, the client can only send command to the server to complete.

See:

3 hours ago, Sky_Orc_Mm said:

Create a zombie must be operated by the server, the client can only send command to the server to complete.

See:

you are my savior! thank you. so you mean, do I need to put the lua file in the server folder not in the client ? and need some fixes for codes?

12 hours ago, justcrow said:

Hi there, I hope you've got everything working now. I never started on multiplayer support for the mod but your post has reminded me about it and I think I might have another crack at it in a few weeks with multiplayer support, more options and better functionality (quite often with this version you'll see the zombies popping in, for example).

2 minutes ago, ToastedFishSandwich said:

Hi there, I hope you've got everything working now. I never started on multiplayer support for the mod but your post has reminded me about it and I think I might have another crack at it in a few weeks with multiplayer support, more options and better functionality (quite often with this version you'll see the zombies popping in, for example).

Wow..buddy, do you plan to make this mod work in MP in a few days? Great news! I can't wait for it! Thank you so much :)