Lockpicking Mod (1.8.1)

RoboMat

Lockpicking

A Lockpicking Mod for Project Zomboid which allows you to quickly open locked doors.

poster.png

Now with Tiny AVC support, so you will never miss an update ever again:
11c4bed4-25da-11e5-8438-0a93ffd00fe0.png

Breaking Locks
If you want to break door and window locks you need to have a crowbar in your inventory. Right click the door you want to open and it should give you the option to break the lock.
Be careful though, since this is rather noisy and will certainly attract some unwanted guests.
When you break open a door like that, there is a chance that the crowbar will slip and smash against the door, creating an even louder noise in the process. When you try opening a window with the crowbar there is a chance that the window will be smashed.

Lockpicking
The art of silently opening a lock with a screwdriver and a bobby pin (the latter can be found or crafted from a paper clip). Unlike breaking a lock, using a lockpick is totally silent.
Although it has its dangers too. If you fail to open the lock, it can break, making any further lock picking attempts impossible. Even if you succeed with opening a door you might lose the bobby pin.
As you can see, both methods have their pros and cons and it is up to you to decide which one you prefer.

Download here

Spotlight (at 2:51):

Edited by RoboMat

I think XP would be a welcome addition to this mod. The first few pick attempts should be pretty much guaranteed to fail (perhaps even having a chance of breaking the screwdriver in the process) and work on from there slowly but surely gaining the ability to pick.

Thanks a lot folks!

I think XP would be a welcome addition to this mod. The first few pick attempts should be pretty much guaranteed to fail (perhaps even having a chance of breaking the screwdriver in the process) and work on from there slowly but surely gaining the ability to pick.

That's definitely on my to do list :)

• 2 weeks later...

my 6 play threws i never once found any of them items but the crowbar O_O'''

i been dieing very fast with no way to get meds. >_>

I suggest playing in Sandbox mode with loot set to abundant :) It can be hard to get into PZ, but there will be tutorials etc. in the near future.

In the next version of this mod the screwdriver spawning rates will be a little bit higher ;)

Updated to Version 0.5.0

v0.5.0

• Implemented Thuztor's awesome icon for the Bobby Pin
  • Added condition drainage to the screwdriver
  • Condition of the crowbar goes down lower now

=> It happens at random atm so it shouldn't be too fast anymore

• Increased chance for successfully breaking a lock
  • Breaking the lock is much faster than lockpicking it now

=> Overhauled completion times of both lockpicking and lockbreaking

• More lock difficulties (Very easy, Easy, Medium, Hard, Very hard)
  • Tweaked distribution of bobby pins

=> they are most common in bathrooms now

• Tweaked distribution of screwdrivers
  • Lockbreaking now exhausts the player
It's only a small update ... I know - sorry :(

IMPORTANT BUGFIX

Version 0.5.1
- FIXED: Inventory stuck after breaking a lock!

Awesome, maybe NOW is my chance to find a screwdriver.... gonna try it today!

My little suggestion: build in a mini game like in skyrim for example!

They should spawn more frequently especially in crates now :)

Please no mini games. ;)
It should depend on the characters skill (later). Or? :)

No minigames! :)

Love your mods RoboMat. But do I have to manually remove the files from the old version before I install the newer ones?

Thanks a lot.

Well it should be enough to delete the respective folder in /media/lua/Mods/ ... all the other files should be overwritten. In the future I will probably post a note wether old files need to be removed or can be overwritten :)

I like the Update Idea, perhaps you could also add a low chance to open an old (some?!) window with a screwdriver (+hammer?)? 

i've read that something like this may be possible in real life also ^^ (you probably should add a thief profession/trait for that)

(http://www.wetterauer-zeitung.de/Home/Kreis/Staedte-und-Gemeinden/Wetteraukreis/Artikel,-Ein-geschlossenes-Fenster-ist-keine-Sicherheit-_arid,157059_costart,1_regid,3_puid,1_pageid,241.html)