Dealing With Trash

Okamikurainya

So currently, using the object moving system, we can pick up trash as a tile and just place it back down again. I say we remove this feature and rather tie the trash piles to the player's foraging skills.

Right clicking on the pile of trash would bring up the option to "Forage" or "Rummage Through Trash". The types of items you get will be similar to what you'd normally find in trash cans, though at higher Foraging levels you'll be able to find things such as Cockroaches, Dead Rats, Empty Tin Cans, Scrap Metal and maybe even a thoughtlessly discarded bottle with some soda/water/alcohol still in it. Foraging through the trash will also have the chance to delete the trash on that tile which would vary depending on your foraging ability, though the percentage chance that the trash pile will vanish will always be relatively high.

This would make logical sense, especially now that metal working is a thing. If I need a tin can I'm not going to look at a pile filled with Soda Cans and potential Empty Tin Cans and just throw my hands up into the air and say "Oh well! It's all in a pile, nothing can be done with it!"

I don't know, maybe some of you like to decorate your safehouses with trash piles, maybe keep the ability to pick them up though have the chance to "break" them as well?

What y'all think?

I am actually one of those who likes to 'decorate' my base with the trash and the torn posters. 

But your idea makes sense, some of those bits of trash are just a single soda can so if they can now be used in metal working it would be silly not to be able to use one from a trash pile, maybe it could be an ideal plave for a mouse trap.

But i still want to pile it up iny base like a filthy hobo survivor.

12 hours ago, ShuiYin said:

use Svarogs trash mod :)

Different kind of trash. I don't mean dealing with Trash Items, I mean dealing with Piles of Trash Tiles. :P

15 hours ago, NebNebber said:

But your idea makes sense, some of those bits of trash are just a single soda can so if they can now be used in metal working it would be silly not to be able to use one from a trash pile, maybe it could be an ideal plave for a mouse trap.

Indeed! MetalWorking is pretty much why my IMO this should be added relatively soon.

15 hours ago, NebNebber said:

But i still want to pile it up iny base like a filthy hobo survivor.

And being able to forage in the trash will add one more piece of realism to the Hobo Survival Experience. :D

22 hours ago, SaltandPretzels said:

I think it's a good idea. It also basis for a new profession  - homeless/ down on the luck.   Have a higher percentage to find good items in trash cans. Needs less sleep and etc. 

That is a cool idea as well, maybe the Homeless trait would grant you the ability to possibly find other food objects when foraging through the trash?

19 hours ago, Geras said:

The more scavenging the better! I like it. 

True words are true! :P

was gonna add a feature to forage thru mailboxes, trash piles, and also to dissasemble log piles to actual logs and to reconstruct said log piles using actual logs but my modding got halted for now. Probably will fix my mods to be compatible to next builds and wait for animation update before i continue again.