New medicinal plant

JonJon

A friend of mine here in Brasil is suffering from anxiety and starts using Passiflora incarnata.

It not only helped her in her anxiety problem as also gave her some sleepiness.

So it get me thinking, with the new sleeping mechanics coming with build 35, sleeping pills will probably be more required.

But how about having a herb to act as sleeping pills?

In this article from the wikipedia (common Joe font of information? kkk)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora_incarnata

I found the spread across the USA of the plant, and Kentucky is in it.

Also it is still used by the Cherokees, what will give a good realism to the adition.

And in the historical uses and folk medicine we can see various uses for it, but i suggest only this 3:

1 Reduces Anxiety

2 Reduces Panic

3 Gives Sleepiness

All 3 will help you get a nice night of sleep, suggestions are welcome.

I've done a bit of reading too :

• Chamomile for about the same effect as OP describe for Passiflore.
  • Lavender, an antiseptic and possible mental health effect.
  • Echinacea, for wound, infection and cold/flue.
  • Valerian root for about the same effect as OP describe for Passiflore.

Thanks for the support guys, I do think more medicinal plants will be great in the game,

But I think if Chamomile and Valerian have the same effects as Passiflora let the devs choose one of them to be in game.

MyTJ, do you have information about the mental health effects of lavender? I think some kind of herbal antidepressant will be a great adition.

Well, Passiflore is supposed to have some too.

Don't know how scientific that is : https://nccih.nih.gov/health/lavender/ataglance.htm

Historically, lavender was used as an antiseptic and for mental health purposes. Today, lavender is used as a folk or traditional remedy for anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, depression, headache, upset stomach, and hair loss.

It is still commonly used in detergent, most probably because of the antiseptic properties.  It is also know to be a skin irritant, I know first hand.  Seems it can also stimulate boob growth in young boys :-o

I've not found any info on Flax, although I remember that they make flooring out of it's oil through an oxidation process and other steps.  It has as well natural antiseptic properties, but I can't say if it's from the flax oil, or the process that make it so : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleum

Interesting,

Looking on internet I found that Chamomile also have some antidepressant effect, so maybe add some kind of herb that can be used in making a hot infused tea?

It could have the same stats as a hot cuppa? Or maybe giving sleepiness and some antidepressant effect for long time like the antidepressant pills?

Giving sleepiness and maybe relivieng some pain and unhappiness as some kind of relaxing tea (maybe use this exactly name?)

Maybe making Passiflora as a ready to eat herb and other herb (like chamomile or lavender) that need to be infused in some kind of tea?

Love the herbal tea idea.  Would add depth to eating herb and poultice.

What about cold brew?  You could craft a bottle of herbal tea from a bottle of water and said plants to automaticaly drink it like water.  This would increase the long lasting effect as you are constantly taking small doses.

Maybe have it reduce stress/anxiety and help ward off insanity.  There could be side effects (like droziness) or even long term devasting effects to your health unless it was crafted by a doctor.  This could help balance out occupation because I understand from other's comment that there are currently a few ones that are not much used in MP games.

Agree with you untill the part of the doctor.

I like to play SP, and then making some recipes doctor's profession only will not be cool.

I think the herbalist should have all the knowledge to craft everything from the herbs.

As for the doctor profession, I think TIS will rework the First Aid and Injuries to make the doctor more valuable in MP.