RELEASED: Build 35.26

RobertJohnson

14 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

Damn this alarm clock pronlem, i'm quite lost, is this from a past build 34 server?

Also coffee: it's my bad, i forgot to remove the previous make hot drink recipe, it's an evolved recipe now, just look for "make hot drink" in recipe you should find it, i'm gonna remove the previous recipe for next version

Yes its a server from build 34, for me anyways.

All files are validated under Steam. Verified sound drivers are up-to-date.

I have to launch the server through the .bat file because otherwise I get the 'failed to establish P2P connection' error (other something very close to that and this has been a workaround) and to choose my character through 'join'. Could that have anything to do with it? Seems unlikey, but trying to brainstorm possible differences.

18 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

Damn this alarm clock pronlem, i'm quite lost, is this from a past build 34 server?

i think that issue comes when spawns on corpses and others containers and alarm is on, when starts to make noise server crashed.
Digitalwatch2 i think.  I tested this on a 35.9 (new and fresh server). I update the game and now server its running with 35.10.

1 hour ago, Snakeman said:

i think that issue comes when spawns on corpses and others containers and alarm is on, when starts to make noise server crashed.
Digitalwatch2 i think.  I tested this on a 35.9 (new and fresh server). I update the game and now server its running with 35.10.

Makes sense based on my server logs. I am no expert in FMOD or Java, but my logs mention alarm clock sounds and zombies.

Do/did the digital watches use the alarm clock sounds at any point? I have never seen alarm clocks drop on zombies, but the watches do. Not sure why there'd be any reference to zombies, if it wasnt related to their loot.

I like the concept of zombies having alarms go off on their watches, but if it's game breaking, can we just disable that for now?

9 minutes ago, CaptKaspar said:

Makes sense based on my server logs. I am no expert in FMOD or Java, but my logs mention alarm clock sounds and zombies.

Do/did the digital watches use the alarm clock sounds at any point? I have never seen alarm clocks drop on zombies, but the watches do. Not sure why there'd be any reference to zombies, if it wasnt related to their loot.

I like the concept of zombies having alarms go off on their watches, but if it's game breaking, can we just disable that for now?

SuburbsDistributions says only male zeds can drop a digitalwatch2.

13 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:
  • You now have a minor "chance" to spawn a new player with minor injury (could be bandaged), minor panic or a bit exhausted, won't happen in easy difficulty

May i ask what is the reason behind this?

Just adding some background to the character?

1 hour ago, Blasted_Taco said:

You now have a minor "chance" to spawn a new player with minor injury (could be bandaged), minor panic or a bit exhausted, won't happen in easy difficulty

Honestly, unless this is somehow balanced (as in, giving that wounded character some kind of starter advantage, like maybe starting with a weapon or something along those lines) I won't be able to see what makes it worth it. I just don't see why we couldn't simply let that wounded character die and start with another one to avoid this annoyance.

More than starting with a bleeding wound out, maybe we could start with it bandaged already. It'll still give us the debuffs from the pain but it won't kill us shortly thereafter if we fail to find some disinfectant or whiskey.

Edited by Blake81

2 minutes ago, Blake81 said:

Honestly, unless this is somehow balanced (as in, giving that wounded character some kind of starter advantage, like maybe starting with a weapon or something along those lines) I won't be able to see what makes it worth it. I just don't see why we couldn't simply let that wounded character die and start with another one to avoid this annoyance.

More than starting with a bleeding wound out, maybe we could start with it bandaged already. It'll still give us the debuffs from the pain but it won't kill us shortly thereafter if we fail to find some disinfectant or whiskey.

PZ's main problem for most of it's life has been that it's been way, way too consistent. You always start the same way, you always fight the same group size of zombies, you always go to the same places to find the same items, you're always in a perfect state even though you don't really know what's happened to your character prior to your taking it over.  I'd be fine if you sometimes started with a weapon, as well.

That said, maybe it should be a closable option outside of Survival if others don't like it / find it annoying. That a temporary wound or status would make you go through the whole character creation and load screen again is a bit surprising, though.

Bolded: That's in the changelog. There's a chance.

1 minute ago, EnigmaGrey said:

PZ's main problem for most of it's life has been that it's been way, way too consistent. You always start the same way, you always fight the same group size of zombies, you always go to the same places to find the same items, you're always in a perfect state even though you don't really know what's happened to your character prior to your taking it over.  I'd be fine if you sometimes started with a weapon, as well.

Hm, you DO have a point there; the game starts in a way too consistent manner, and that can be always fixed by the touch of RNGesus.

Maybe survivors could spawn with random buffs and debuffs to add some more uniqueness to each character. For instance, at the start of each game, it could roll on any of these:

<Good Rolls>

- Water Bottle (it doesn't even have to be full, but even an almost empty bottle could save you from thirst for a while)

- Baggage (from the epic BHB, to the useless Plastic Bag. Maybe even with some minor random loot on them)

- Consumable (try to make that bag of crisps or jerky last you for a while....)

- Weapon (Fully random, but also balanced. Sure, you could start with an Axe, but maaaybe you'd only get it after you lost three dozens of survivors who started out with a mere Pencil)

- Medicine (Why not? Even I sometimes keep band-aids on my wallet. Why couldn't a survivor had done the same)

<Bad Rolls>

- Wounded (already like that)

- Thirsty (Ranging from 1st to 2nd level Moodles)

- Hungry (Same as above)

- Tired (Maybe you outran a horde?)

- Sleepy (Same as above)

Then RNGesus would pick 1-3 from these two piles and have them on you. That'd be a good way to balance it, I think...

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

That said, maybe it should be a closable option outside of Survival if others don't like it / find it annoying. That a temporary wound or status would make you go through the whole character creation and load screen again is a bit surprising, though.

Bolded: That's in the changelog. There's a chance.

This is true, but I see a ton of people just re-rolling every time they start a new game until they get a good start.

Randomization is really good as long as it isn't too harsh, but I've already heard stories of zombini sandwiches spawning inside fully barricaded homes supposedly because they left the curtains open on the second floor (with the lights out).

Edit: I think a good way to do it would be to give players some kind of possible bonus to go with the bad. That way players will be less prone to power-game it. I don't mean "chance to spawn with a loaded weapon", I mean "oh hey, you spawn with an injury and no keys to your home, but you get this <generic survival improvement item/location> to make up for that".

This is something that will need balance tweaks, of course.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

I like the idea of random injuries adding some flavor to the start of the game. Honestly though, when was the last time any of us died from a minor injury? I don't see it effecting our game play all that much.

However, I do imagine that most people would just re-roll their character since they have nothing to lose (except a small amount of time) and everything game-play wise to gain.

What if injuries were a trait that you could select instead of randomly being assigned one?

For instance if you choose to start with a broken leg you get +8 (+6) points to spend? (I know currently the injuries are only minor ones and not major ones). The game would be significantly harder in the beginning and make for some 'fun' new starts.

Broken hand could be worth +4 and cuts/scratches could be +2?

It would also lend well to the RPG aspect of it. Imagine your character was upstairs in bed with a broken leg. Eventually your family stopped coming home to care for you, 911's dial tone is busy, and you have just come off some pretty heavy duty pain killers but you swear you heard something on the radio, during that drug induced near coma, about zombies? Your leg is finally strong enough to bear some weight, so you head downstairs to raid the fridge because you are nearly starving and your throat is dry from thirst. As you are stumbling to the kitchen you look out the living room window and see your wife banging her head against the window covered in blood. Behind her are countless others just like her.

23 minutes ago, Blake81 said:

Hm, you DO have a point there; the game starts in a way too consistent manner, and that can be always fixed by the touch of RNGesus.

Maybe survivors could spawn with random buffs and debuffs to add some more uniqueness to each character. For instance, at the start of each game, it could roll on any of these:

<Good Rolls>

- Water Bottle (it doesn't even have to be full, but even an almost empty bottle could save you from thirst for a while)

- Baggage (from the epic BHB, to the useless Plastic Bag. Maybe even with some minor random loot on them)

- Weapon (Fully random, but also balanced. Sure, you could start with an Axe, but maaaybe you'd only get it after you lost three dozens of survivors who started out with a mere Pencil)

- Medicine (Why not? Even I sometimes keep band-aids on my wallet. Why couldn't a survivor had done the same)

<Bad Rolls>

- Hungry (Same as above)

- Sleepy (Same as above)

Then RNGesus would pick 1-3 from these two piles and have them on you. That'd be a good way to balance it, I think...

Now that I like. :D

17 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

Build IWBUMS 35.10:

• Coffee and tea bag are now food items
  • New Evolved recipe: Prepare Beverage, from a mug of water, add coffee or tea, sugar/honey/milk if you want and cook it!

while we're on the subject, would it be possible to make it so coffee and tea reduce tiredness like vitamins do but maybe to a larger degree? it's always bothered me that they don't.  also i think it would make more sense that they cause a bit of anxiety rather than reduce stress. I feel like vitamins should reduce fatigue like genseng does rather than tiredness, and if we still want stress reducing beverages why not add cocoa to the game? 

Edited by morninam
additional info

3 hours ago, Blake81 said:

<Good Rolls>

<Bad Rolls>

- Hungry (Same as above)

- Sleepy (Same as above)

I agree with this, but I feel like most of the RNG should revolve around the house the player starts in and the immediate environment around that, not the character themself. So every profession should have a list of items associated with them that have varying odds of spawning somewhere in the house that they start in (i.e. a fireman/logger would have a relatively small chance of coincidentally bringing an axe home with them that day, and a relatively high chance of having their uniform somewhere in the house). This makes the starting profession more dynamic and interesting, rather than the "best" solo build always being one where they have a wide variety of skills to get a decent exp modifiers on the important long term skills.

Then the real challenge of the start should come from limiting the players time to find those items, either from nearby zombies or a pre-started fire or an alarm going of shortly after spawning. Also sorta puts context on why the PC is suddenly more active about their survival when you start playing them, because obviously given the number of infected they must have been surviving just in their house for a while already and are now being forced to leave.

Edited by Absle

im having a control issue with the latest build. I cant spin my character around while I hold the right mouse button down. if i restart the game I can again, but once I kill a zombie my character doesn't follow the direction of the mouse anymore.

great update :) finally the ashes problem and wet towel problem is no more Yay. Also the drink now is way much better than before (gotta delete my plain coffe and tea recipes on my mod) was always craving for plain sugarless drinks before now its vanilla :D. I actually liked the no key ring thing provided we can still get one from loot and random container items (1 more thing to do in zomboid is always good so now we have to find a watch and also a keyring, i might even go so far as remove keyring from new player item list :p).

Is there a way to limit all alarms to be set to off on spawn (maybe this will remove the problem) at least it will free up resources. I also hope the starting injury dont apply to sandbox option but only on survival mode.

Some quick feedback on 35.10......

Spawning with no key ring makes zero sense. Unless your planning on re-hauling the Key UI, why remove the keyring on spawn? I understand not spawning with your house's key, but cluttering up the UI (for players who do use keys) doesn't make much sense. Keys are in a wonky state as it is, as of right now you basically "farm" keys for a desired house by dragging zombies into it, then butchering them. I honestly think hardware stores should play a bigger role with keys, with pre-packaged doorknobs with keys, and a key cutter machine with blanks. Make the players go into the city to earn keys instead of dragging zombies into a house :S

The random injury doesn't happen that often (and many times I load in with a panic moodle and no apparent injury). The injuries I've found after several test spawns is always a bleeding scratch in a random spot. While interesting, do we really want a new player ripping off their pants or shirt to treat the injury? I guess what I'm getting at is perhaps starting the player with some rags might be more aesthetically pleasing, unless you want them to occasionally run around shirtless or pantless on some game starts.

7 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

You always start the same way, you always fight the same group size of zombies, you always go to the same places to find the same items, you're always in a perfect state even though you don't really know what's happened to your character prior to your taking it over. 

No "proc. generated world" - no surprises.

I swear to the Java gods, sometimes I lose my faith and start to tend to the dark side... Sweet dark side... The coffee side...

Anyway, fixed the MP alarm crash (hopefully :D), still no idea why it sometimes crash... Like it find JNI dependencies, but sometimes nope. It's a shrodinger exception, untill you use the JNI, you don't know if it'll works :D

Gonna release as soon as I fix other stuff before flying (haha, understand 6h of trains) to Newcastle

Build IWBUMS 35.11:

• Removed the previous "make hot drink recipe"
  • Now always spawn with a key ring, but still only 40% chance to have the key of your spawn house
  • Hopefully really fixed the MP alarm crash...
  • Fixed thirst not changed when pouring soup/stew into bowls
  • Improved the new inventory tweaks (should fix right click to move your player problem)

watch alarm generate a fading black screen as i'am waking up when bell rings if i'am transfering objects even if i'am not sleeping.
I don't know if is it normal.

server with "sleep mode" : sometimes go to bed generate segfault when time  should accelerate. Can wake up, but false connexion maintained with server.
chat window disappear even if window is sticked.

Edited by arkahys

3 hours ago, GOGOblin said:

No "proc. generated world" - no surprises.

Oh yah, totally, like Alien: Isolation. Not procedurally generated, definitely no surprises there.

...oh wait, no. That's ridiculous. Procedurally generated worlds only hit gaming (on a large scale, at least) about 5 years ago. Saying there can't be surprises without it is both direspectful and wrong. Please don't comment if you can't add something meaningful to the discussion. As I warned you on reddit, stop taking every possible opportunity to take a jab at the game/devs. You don't like stuff, cool, but if you keep posting off topic I will suspend you. This is warning number 2, you don't get a warning number 3.