Inventory-to-furniture: Ham radio

TheNicestGuy

Question

I just found a US ARMY COMM. Ham Radio. I presume this is about the best radio in the game, but it's got a weight of twenty! I want to use it from a countertop without tying up my hands, but I originally found it in a container; it's in my inventory like a normal item. Is there a way to get an item from the inventory to "place mode"?

If I manage that, will I be able to power the radio from a wall socket or a generator, or must I constantly feed it batteries?

2 answers to this question

15 hours ago, Keshash said:

Use "place furniture" mode. It's under the health and crafting menu. Click on it and select place. After that you can right click on the radio and select "Device options". I don't know about powering it with generator, though...

You can also do this with every single-tile furniture.

Well, that does skip over the crucial missing step, but it did help me experiment some more and figure it out. It's like so:

1. Put the radio into your personal inventory, not a container or bag. No need to equip it.
  2. Enter "Place Mode" by hovering over the cabinet icon and clicking the one with the down arrow. A square outlining individual floor or surface tiles will follow the cursor.
  3. Click the radio in your inventory. Now the radio will appear in the outline as you move the cursor.
  4. Click a tile to place the radio on the floor, countertop, what-have-you. Now it's in the world, and the Device Options menu is available.

This doesn't work for any random item from your inventory, but I guess there might be things other than radios that can be treated as furniture and can also be found as inventory items.

When I figured this out, the wall power was still on. There was a working fridge right next to it, but the radio still required a battery. Haven't tried a generator yet.

Use "place furniture" mode. It's under the health and crafting menu. Click on it and select place. After that you can right click on the radio and select "Device options". I don't know about powering it with generator, though...

You can also do this with every single-tile furniture.

Archived