Saws

Kelgo

3 hours ago, MacSupreMe said:

The saw sprite looks to be a small handsaw. not a tree cutting saw. Maybe be able to use it to cut off branches but it would potentially take days to cut a tree with a small handsaw.

However hard it would be to saw a tree down it would be a 1000 times harder to saw it into planks. Me thinks it's just a gameplay thing so you need to find different tools etc. 

I wear flannel now and then so I'm pretty qualified to speak on this matter.

You can absolutely cut down a tree with a handsaw. But the handsaw generally needs to meet certain criteria to be good to go for the tree in question. An appropriate handsaw is likely going to be very large relative to what you would use to saw a log into planks. A two foot diameter tree would likely call for something on the order of 3-5 feet if you're not looking to spend the rest of your life at the task.

If you look up bone cutter saws for trees you'll likely get a pretty robust encyclopedia of products that fit the description of what you're going for.

But in terms of Zomboid. Well. I think the axe/saw dynamic works pretty well. The saw is immortal and it's fairly intuitive. The axe can die but be born again eternal through foraging, so that's nice.

I gotta agree, I do not want to try to cut down a tree with a saw, unless there was the word 'chain' before the saw.

Depends on the size of the tree of course, but for anything that I would hope to get planks out of, I definitely would rather use an axe.

Archived