access to IWBUMS builds for GOG users

gozer

I couldn't find the thread in which either Kirrus or nasKo answered this, but the way GOG works doesn't allow for beta branches (yet).

EDIT : it actually was EnigmaGrey, and here's his post :

well, then this is something that should be clearly written in the game description at the GOG, as the very first thing under the game name, using really big letters. Because for GOG users pretty big part of the game is simply missing compared to Steam. 

I don't know about others, but I for one knew nothing about PZ until I saw it on GOG. While I technically have a Steam account, I almost never use it or buy games on it -- I have a good number of old favorites from GOG on the other hand. SO I thought the game looked like fun, bought it there, and found out later that I probably would've preferred to buy it on Steam if I'd known enough at the time.

Anyway, if I decide I really want to access the IWBUMS builds, I could just buy the game again on Steam. In my opinion, a game this good deserves my money anyway (but not everyone has the extra income for that). :) But, yes, just understand that not everyone knew about both Steam and GOG and the differences between them until after they had spent the money, and please don't judge too harshly.

8 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

GoG isn't Steam. Don't expect Steam things from GoG.

true, but I'd expect full disclosure when some features aren't available based solely on eshop you use for purchasing the game. If they sell the same game for the same price then there should be the same features, or there should be warning about the features that are missing or unavailable. The fact that you can't access IWBUMS builds is never mentioned, not on GOG store page, not in any FAQ or game description, not in any of the IWBUMS changelogs ... only way for player to find out is to stumble on one of very few posts burried deep within forums (posts that you can't even search for because forum search doesn't allow searching for 3 or less letter strings ... like 'GOG' for example)

It's not as though test builds are promised in the store page, either, or that you can't refund the game within 14 days (regardless of how long you played) if you find the GoG storefront lacking. As far as I'm aware, this is the same situation all EA-style games find themselves in until GoG Galaxy can be  integrated.

Inform yourself before you buy things, please.  (This is the same reason people get upset with EA games or alpha/beta games . .  .) There's even a post directly on the front page of the GoG discussion group: https://www.gog.com/forum/project_zomboid/steams_iwbums_beta_branch_on_gog

Though I'd like  TIS to add a warning to the GoG page.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Inform yourself before you buy things, please.  (This is the same reason people get upset with EA games or alpha/beta games . .  .) There's even a post directly on the front page of the GoG discussion group: https://www.gog.com/forum/project_zomboid/steams_iwbums_beta_branch_on_gog

Though I'd like  TIS to add a warning to the GoG page.

well, in my case the thread on GOG appeared two months after I bought the game (when it first launched on GOG in January) ... there was nowhere to "inform myself", not until the thread you linked on GOG forum (and few threads here in support section that I've found) appeared. Didn't really get to playing PZ until April / May, then the 33.20 stable version kept me pretty busy for quite some time, after playing it for some time I wanted to try the experimental builds and well, I can't. And that is how it quite likely will be for many new players buying this game ... buy it as "interesting game to play later" and only much later discover that they are sod out of luck with the experimental builds and that they're stuck between having to wait several months between stable versions vs paying for the game twice to get Steam version with access to IWBUMS. 

And btw, just look at the FAQ on GOG forum, the entire "How often do you expect to release updates?" part is pretty missleading for GOG users, talking about updates taking rarely more than month between releases including beta versions ... except GOG users have no access to those beta versions. 

So, updating the FAQ is something that REALLY should be done. Having one line in game description on the store page saying that the GOG version at least for now doesn't allow access to experimental builds would be nice (or at least mentioned in FQA or in sepparate stickied topic in the GOG forum, GOG probably won't be too happy about having pretty much "you should use competitors eshop to buy the game instead if you want beta builds" message written on their store page) ... if the situation later changes and GOG gets experimental builds working then simply remove the warning. And including that one line warning in the IWBUMS changelogs here on forum also wouldn't be a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I carefully read the available material at GOG before buying.  I think it's clear that it's an "in dev" game and it clearly implies that GOG customers will get access to new builds.  But they don't and they're so far adrift from the Steam version it's not funny.  I am very disappointed with TIS and feel misled.
GOG's 14 day guarantee is worthless given that it's likely to take longer than that to see how rare updates are.

On principle, I won't pay again to access it on Steam.

GoG releases require both that they're stable because they can't be hotfixed quickly and for it to pass through GoG's hands. You will still receive new builds as they come out, however they will not be the IWBUMS builds until GoG Galaxy support is in.

That's missing the point.

Whether it's GOG missing infrastructure or TIS not doing something, GOG customers of TIS (not just me) feel they're not getting what they reasonably believed they had bought.  TIS and/or GOG need to sort it out.

As for "[you] will still receive new builds as they come out" -- build 34 still isn't available.

Apologies for the wait--build 34 was uploaded last Wednesday, but GOG had not packaged it for download (we don't know the reason for the delay, but the EA model is new to them so that might something to do with it). Since we've had more updates since then, we've just uploaded a newer build, and we will be on GOG to get it out soon as possible. We will also work with them to update the GOG description to make the situation about public test builds more clear.

At this point, I'll believe there's a new build for GOG customers when it finally turns up.

7 minutes ago, MashPotato said:

We will also work with them to update the GOG description to make the situation about public test builds more clear.

What about customers who've already purchased it?  I challenge TIS to arrange either refunds or gratis Steam keys for unhappy GOG customers.

On 5/23/2016 at 2:30 PM, MashPotato said:

Apologies for the wait--build 34 was uploaded last Wednesday, but GOG had not packaged it for download (we don't know the reason for the delay, but the EA model is new to them so that might something to do with it). Since we've had more updates since then, we've just uploaded a newer build, and we will be on GOG to get it out soon as possible. We will also work with them to update the GOG description to make the situation about public test builds more clear.

Will there be a notification here once the latest version is out on GOG, or should I just keep checking my GOG account page daily? (I'm really excited for the update!) :)

"Will there be a notification here once the latest version is out on GOG, or should I just keep checking my GOG account page daily?"
34.28 appeared in my GOG account yesterday. I use Galaxy on my Windows box, and it had downloaded it before I even noticed! So go grab it. :-)

Archived