Building Overhaul mod - Long-Term Crafting Projects (CrafTecs)

blindcoder

Long-Term Crafting Projects (CrafTecs)

This mod is a complete overhaul of the building worldobjects mechanics (like walls, doors and such).

Current state

The mod is fully functional as of IWBUMS 34.something.

Mechanics

The mod requires you to start CrafTecs (working name) on squares, then add parts like planks and nails. After that, you can start working on the object. If you only have half of the necessary parts, you can start building the object up to 50% completion (or whatever fraction of parts you have).

Objects take a LOT longer than they did before. Walls take half an hour, stairs four hours, crates one hour and so on. It always felt weird putting up walls and stairs in minutes.
To counterbalance that long time, you can stop the project at any time and resume working on it later. You can even share the work between different people! Everyone will get 0.1 point of experience per unit of progress he helped on the project. That means if you build it for 60 minutes, you will get 6 points of experience sliced into 60 times 0.1 points. Normal multipliers still apply.

The code also allows for objects to require certain level in different skills and even allows for certain profession. This way you could, for example, require a nurse with experience in Blunt-Maintenance to build a certain object.
You can also require MULTIPLE professions / skilllevels for a single object.

You can also require different tools to build things. Hammers, saws, blowtorches, a waterscale, a pen, a piece of paper, anything!

Download

Download is available on github: https://github.com/blind-coder/pz-craftec/releases

Download is also available on Spiffos Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=677858797

Demovideo

Enjoy :-)

Edited by blindcoder
Update for version 0.2.2

12 hours ago, blindcoder said:

The code also allows for objects to require certain level in different skills and even allows for certain profession. This way you could, for example, require a nurse with experience in Blunt-Maintenance to build a certain object.
You can also require MULTIPLE professions / skilllevels for a single object.

You can also require different tools to build things. Hammers, saws, blowtorches, a waterscale, a pen, a piece of paper, anything!

So...eh...does this mean that I can design my own building with this mod?

5 hours ago, wsensor said:

Now we just need a party exp system for building massive buildings together.

That's definately coming soon. I honestly JUST realized this issue when I wrote the last sentences of the documentation for the public release.

3 hours ago, blackteapie said:

So...eh...does this mean that I can design my own building with this mod?

That's the ultimate point once I manage to properly draw silhouettes of the tile being built.

It would be cool if we could build some things at a workbench (IE: Window, Door, etc) and then take them to elsewhere to be placed. Some could still be built in multiple ways (IE: Crates, Tables, etc) perhaps.

On 3.5.2016 at 8:13 PM, wsensor said:

It would be cool if we could build some things at a workbench (IE: Window, Door, etc) and then take them to elsewhere to be placed. Some could still be built in multiple ways (IE: Crates, Tables, etc) perhaps.

I wrote some bulk code a while ago where proper carpentry could only be built with proper planks. Proper planks could only be created with a circular saw bench (one that could be pickt up and the big stationary ones in McCoy). Never really got beyond the planing phase.

Hope that you (@blindcoder) can achieve this!

Hey, I just saw this in the Workshop on steam, and left a comment. Might as well repost it here, if anyone else would like to add on or w/e.

Is it possible to make experience be gained over the period of time you are making the object, instead of all at the end? I'd imagine that only gaining xp at the end would defeat the purpose of allowing other people to help, since there'd be no incentive. It might mean that overall more experience is gained for finishing it than in vanilla, but I'd like that better, since it would be taking more time to finish anyways.

Edited by FiveNine78
clarification

I have changed the XP completely now.

The new idea is:

XP is awarded for whatever skill the work on the recipe requires, or Carpentry if "any". This way XP can be awarded to any skill, which makes it interesting once metalworking is in.

Also, XP is awarded at 0.1 points per in-game minute you work on the project. You can check how much has been done / has to be done by checking the "Progress: 0 / 60" text in the tooltip. In this case, there's 60 minutes of work left which means 6 XP points at 60 times 0.1 point.

This means, that building things give a LOT more XP (up from the default 3 points for everything), but since they also take a lot longer, it only seems fair. This bug still applies, though: http://theindiestone.com/forums/?app=tcbugtracker&module=tracker&controller=issues&id=176&do=getNewComment

I still have to figure out how to balance this with deconstruction, since now you can just construct something to 95%, then deconstruct it down to 5% and reconstruct it to 95% and gain XP over and over again. Not even sure if this even IS an issue, since it's still taking a lot of time anyway. All ideas welcome :-)

The upgrading is not in the mod yet. I'm waiting for it to hit IWBUMS, too, so I can check the sprites and how to properly integrate it all.

I could probably integrate the upgrading of existing walls already, but I want to stay as close to vanilla as possible.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...