Question About NPCs (The Old Broken Ones)

dannyisdude

So I'm sure we all know that there have been test builds before with NPCs in them, and more specifically, before the old NPC system was abandoned. The ones I'm talking about are the ones that were never released further than internal testing. I was reading some old mondoid stuff, and I came across these pictures; http://projectzomboid.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/npcs1.jpg http://projectzomboid.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/npcs.png

I know these systems were completely abandoned, and I'm fine with that; However, I want to know if we ever get access to these old test builds. Those debuggers look like toys and I want to play with them. I know those old builds were probably totally broken and lack a ton of features we now have,  but I just want to know if I will ever get the chance to play with those old NPCs and maybe create my own basic behavior trees with those debug menus.

The system in those screenshots was clearly from before the IsoSurvivor system was written off, but after the map change, and the major ui overhaul. This would have been a test version, and these specific screenshots are from Lemmy (If you couldn't already tell by the behavior debug menus).

6 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Oh,  no. None of that was ever released publicly and I'm quite certain is from the NPC system that replaced the one  prior to 2.0r.

I know, it was never released publicly, and I said that. I also said I know this NPC behavior system was abandoned. Those menus are showing functions from the IsoSurvivor systems, which was written off a long time ago. 

28 minutes ago, dannyisdude said:

So I'm sure we all know that there have been test builds before with NPCs in them, and more specifically, before the old NPC system was abandoned. The ones I'm talking about are the ones that were never released further than internal testing. I was reading some old mondoid stuff, and I came across these pictures; http://projectzomboid.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/npcs1.jpg http://projectzomboid.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/npcs.png

I know these systems were completely abandoned, and I'm fine with that; However, I want to know if we ever get access to these old test builds. Those debuggers look like toys and I want to play with them. I know those old builds were probably totally broken and lack a ton of features we now have,  but I just want to know if I will ever get the chance to play with those old NPCs and maybe create my own basic behavior trees with those debug menus.

I just want to know if there is any chance those might ever be released just to show how stuff has changed from the beginning to the end or something like that.

1 minute ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Check the dates of the screenshots . . . those are the current systems, in development. The system that was abandoned was from 2012.

I thought they said the entire NPC system was being rebuilt for the new animations, as the animations were what was needed for NPC development to begin again.

1 minute ago, EnigmaGrey said:

NPCs have been in development for the past 3 years; animations are just required to finish them and begin the release process.

Holy crap. I thought everything was being redone and it was gonna be a very long time until this was all ready. And these menus are gonna be in the release. Wow, just wow. I may not be waiting as long as I thought.

56 minutes ago, MashPotato said:

To be clear, NPCs are not imminent; the animations are one step in a continuing process. 

Well, yeah, that's a given. However, rebuilding a system entirely vs. reworking an existing one does change how long it should take.

those screenshots are from the new NPC system ;) just the new NPC system a long while ago.

Nothing's been rebuilt, its just NPC dev is in a bit of a slump during animation development is all, for numerous reasons not least that things like combat and movement will need rewriting due to the vastly different systems animations will bring making it a fools errand trying to develop both alongside each other.

I will be porting over NPC code into a new base build, post anims being complete, if that's what you mean, but it's not the same thing as being rebuilt, it's more just like putting everything on the bed before tidying the rest of the room, then putting everything on the bed back in its proper place. That process will take some time but it's nothing compared to rebuilding from scratch. We have a ton of really powerful circuit boards we've built and none of that time needs redoing, they're all not just connected together at the moment, and the process of putting them together into a cohesive and complete NPC system is what's taking the time and is proving very difficult. and time consuming The only time NPCs have been 'rebuilt' is when they were removed from the game before Steam launch.

6 hours ago, lemmy101 said:

those screenshots are from the new NPC system ;) just the new NPC system a long while ago.

Nothing's been rebuilt, its just NPC dev is in a bit of a slump during animation development is all, for numerous reasons not least that things like combat and movement will need rewriting due to the vastly different systems animations will bring making it a fools errand trying to develop both alongside each other.

I will be porting over NPC code into a new base build, post anims being complete, if that's what you mean, but it's not the same thing as being rebuilt, it's more just like putting everything on the bed before tidying the rest of the room, then putting everything on the bed back in its proper place. That process will take some time but it's nothing compared to rebuilding from scratch. We have a ton of really powerful circuit boards we've built and none of that time needs redoing, they're all not just connected together at the moment, and the process of putting them together into a cohesive and complete NPC system is what's taking the time and is proving very difficult. and time consuming The only time NPCs have been 'rebuilt' is when they were removed from the game before Steam launch.

Ok, from what I understood from the mondoids was that it was gonna either be reworked to work with the new animation system, or that it was gonna be rebuilt. I got it. Cool.

Archived