Iso Revolution

lemmy101

Didn't know where to post, but I must comment on this:

I see you are using OldStyle figures now. Don't. OldStyle was made for use in chunks of text, so the numbers don't pop out of the text mass. That's why some numbers like 9 have descenders and others like 6 have ascenders. There is not point other than "oh look those numbers are kinda different, let's use them in our game", no historical reference or whatsoever; hence, whilst this might not be common sense, it is still a knife wound to those who care about proper portraying of glyphs.

As far as it goes, though, I love the game. I have purchased it and do not regret any of the many hours I spent smashing zombie heads and building a gigantic fort only to die by a stupid bold move :D

I see you are using OldStyle figures now. Don't. OldStyle was made for use in chunks of text, so the numbers don't pop out of the text mass. That's why some numbers like 9 have descenders and others like 6 have ascenders. There is not point other than "oh look those numbers are kinda different, let's use them in our game", no historical reference or whatsoever; hence, whilst this might not be common sense, it is still a knife wound to those who care about proper portraying of glyphs.

I did know this was a thing. Nor a thing important to people.

Welcome to the forum!

I did know this was a thing. Nor a thing important to people.

Welcome to the forum!

It is a thing; not really important, but as annoying as the lack of capital letters or the excess of those. Thanks, mate!

just wow love the detail post. FLASHLIGHTS ! FOG ! oh how cool that would be ! oh make it so make it so ! about the animations any chance they can be made clearer, or hell how about just making the Player into a full 3d model with just overlay textures when you but clothing on. you would just need to stick it to the model... just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

As a very non-technical answer, having 3d chracters rendering on the fly would save lots of memory BUT would also be very CPU/GPU-intensive. The massive zombie hordes that are integral to the PZ experience would be limited to 5-10 onscreen at once ;)

Just because im curious.

Isn't the strength of modern 3D cards to do much of the same stuff at once as it was said in the OP?

So why should rendering many zombies (as they are almost clones already) be an issue? L4D has much more than 5-10 at the same time on screen (various looks like female, male etc). And i don't think the models would need to be that detailed in PZ as they are in L4D.

EDIT: L4D doesn't need that much Hardware with their 50 or so (never counted but they are many) zombies on screen (models beeing more detailed than they would need to be in PZ)

It's a little different in PZ since the game needs to be able to have hundreds on screen at once. Also, none of the zombies in PZ are cloned- they all have their own pathfinding (which is much more complicated than L4D's), their own AI, their own tracking of the player, etc. It's a very different system, and really comparing any kind of resource usage between different games is an incredibly apples to oranges comparison.

At the most simple, you have to understand that L4D uses Source (a well broken-in custom engine that's meant to do things like this) and PZ uses it's own custom Java engine, which has different strengths, weaknesses, and abilities.

It's a little different in PZ since the game needs to be able to have hundreds on screen at once. Also, none of the zombies in PZ are cloned- they all have their own pathfinding (which is much more complicated than L4D's), their own AI, their own tracking of the player, etc. It's a very different system, and really comparing any kind of resource usage between different games is an incredibly apples to oranges comparison.

At the most simple, you have to understand that L4D uses Source (a well broken-in custom engine that's meant to do things like this) and PZ uses it's own custom Java engine, which has different strengths, weaknesses, and abilities.

Yea thats a valid argument and its so hard to compare both,  first of all the apple is fast to eat and juicy while the orange while being juicy too doesnt offer the kind of fast eating possiblity the apple does.Altough ive heard of some mod people use to eat the orange skin  which then bring the orange back  on par with the apple speed Wise. The most overlook point  and what make the orange the best of the 2 i think is the fact that its using a dual -core. The outside core serve as a proctection for the inner core  which can then preserve is integrity in much harder condition then an apple would. You could then point out the pomegranate but that would be like comparing the ressource usage betwen 2 different game . :)

• 6 months later...

I wish they would do this sometime soon :(

The need for it is not there anymore, with several optimisations that were introduced, so it dropped in the priority list.

There is only so much you can do at once and there are simply more important things.

The need for it is not there anymore, with several optimisations that were introduced, so it dropped in the priority list.

There is only so much you can do at once and there are simply more important things.

I know, but i'm kinda tired of the 90 degree landscape. Still in love with this game though :)

I know, but i'm kinda tired of the 90 degree landscape. Still in love with this game though :)
I'm tired of many things, too.

You'll have to live with it until it changes ;)

I'm tired of many things, too.

You'll have to live with it until it changes ;)

Well hopefully it will come after 1.0 I can't wait for npc's :D