Iso Revolution

lemmy101

Hmm, now that you're rendering in 3D, are you planning to render the players/zombies in 3D as well, since they're currently spritemaps rendered from 3D in the first place?

BUT WAIT, THIS DOESN’T MEAN WHAT YOU THINK IT DOES.

[...]

We still have hundreds of fridges, sofas, cabinets, trees, characters all in bonafide 2D with fake isometric drawn directly into the tiles. This isn’t going to change (though who knows for the next game in the PZ engine, or perhaps post-multiplayer, years down the line, we’ll get some hair brained ambition to do it, so it’s always a tantalising possibility where prior was a literal impossibility)

[...]

Hmm, now that you're rendering in 3D, are you planning to render the players/zombies in 3D as well, since they're currently spritemaps rendered from 3D in the first place?

BUT WAIT, THIS DOESN’T MEAN WHAT YOU THINK IT DOES.

[...]

We still have hundreds of fridges, sofas, cabinets, trees, characters all in bonafide 2D with fake isometric drawn directly into the tiles. This isn’t going to change (though who knows for the next game in the PZ engine, or perhaps post-multiplayer, years down the line, we’ll get some hair brained ambition to do it, so it’s always a tantalising possibility where prior was a literal impossibility)

[...]

I feel you have been trolled.

Holy Cow! :-D

Thanks for the detailed explanation, was an interesting read and once more showed me why I wouldn't want to be a programmer... :)

Well done! I really hope that everything is going to work out as you planned for PZ. I am sure though, that you will achieve the result that you want, no matter what hurdles might show up still.

Cheers!  (clyde)  (clyde)  (clyde)

*snip*

Okay, mea cupla, I missed where it said characters. :C

Obviously the furniture and other world objects would not be feasible (nor desirable for that matter), but what is their reasoning not to render the characters on the fly? I'm not intending to criticise, I'm just wanting to get an insight into Lemmy & Binky's thought processes. (Wannabe game developer here fresh from computer science course at University. :B)

As a very non-technical answer, having 3d chracters rendering on the fly would save lots of memory BUT would also be very CPU/GPU-intensive. The massive zombie hordes that are integral to the PZ experience would be limited to 5-10 onscreen at once ;)

Fair enough. I imagine it would be possible to draw individual components of the animation on the fly to an offscreen buffer and then cache it from there but it would probably be a lot more trouble than it is worth in the end. Thanks again for the insight!

Something like shadows and fog are such simple additions, yet the notion brings me a disproportionate amount of joy. I watched PZ grow from just an idea, and every time I think the game has hit the ceiling of what it's capable of being, you guys come out with something new that takes it up a notch. Well done, devs!

Glad you made this move :D It's a hard move to make isn't it, when you've stuck true to a fully 2D implementation for all this time and put so much effort into the art assets... but it just makes so much more sense on modern hardware. And well... quite simply, if it looks the same, who cares? :P

• 3 weeks later...

- We’re no longer shackled to the isometric flatness and 90 degree roads. The potential for making the wilderness an infinitely more exciting place to be is very exciting.

I like these non 90 degree roads you're talking about. Will there be any massive changes to the look of Muldraugh because of this?

• 3 weeks later...

so did i get it right, that you constantly converse the current version to the new engine? or ist this something for post steam release, cause i still get low fps :(

Steam release happens on Friday, so the 3D stuff will definitely have to wait until post Steam release.