RegularX

This is a pure gameplay mod, no new items or weapons or the like.

The gameplay goes like this:

• You don't sleep.  You don't even get tired.
  • You start with a hiking bag, a flashlight, some batteries, a hammer and some nails.
  • During the day, zombies are blinded.  You can walk right past them.  They will react to sound.
  • When night falls, not only do zombies go from being blind to eagle eyed - most of them will probably know where you are.  
  • Hopefully you spent the day wisely.

The intention is for fairly high difficulty at night.  Fortify yourself well, or be prepared to stay on the run for the entire night.

Stable build up on pz-mods:

http://pz-mods.net/gameplay/Insomnia/

Most recent test build will be here: http://insomniamod.herokuapp.com/Insomnia.zip

These are currently the same.  Watch this thread/OP for updates.

UPDATES:

March 23rd, 2015: I have put Insomnia in the proper directory structure and tested it successfully against build 31.9.

Installation: For the Desura version of Zomboid, you'll need to unzip, go into the Insomnia folder and copy the media/lua/Insomnia.lua file into your source directory.

For the Steam beta build supporting modloader, you can add the Insomnia folder to your mods directory and then enable the mod from the mod menu.

post-737-0-12135400-1427148119_thumb.png

But I did ask myself, why do I not have to sleep in the mod?

Because it's so hard to survive at night anyway? 

It's more of a tradeoff to not getting tired, which means if you need to do something like make a break for it in the middle of the night - you won't suffer any effects for sprinting till morning.

If you've barricaded yourself in and feel secure, you can still fast forward til morning.

But I did ask myself, why do I not have to sleep in the mod?

Because it's so hard to survive at night anyway? 

It's more of a tradeoff to not getting tired, which means if you need to do something like make a break for it in the middle of the night - you won't suffer any effects for sprinting till morning.

If you've barricaded yourself in and feel secure, you can still fast forward til morning.

It sounds to me like security is more of a pipe dream in this world.  :ph34r:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the mod, it's great!   8-)

Adds some much needed tension and urgency to the game.

It wouldn't work for me initially on Steam though, I had to recreate the mod.info file to make it work.

It was missing the "ID" field that PZ uses to identify it as a selected Mod in the loaded.txt file.

Just thought I'd pass that along in case anyone else ran into this issue.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, sorry for bumping, but does this mod still works on build 29? Or has there been an update?

I'd love to try it, it sounds awesome. 

I got derailed from PZ modding in general a long time ago, but I'm on holiday this week and next and may take a moment my mods in the latest build just to see how well it still works.

I just reinstalled PZ itself so will retest this week. Insomnia will be first of my mods since it does not rely on new media. It is possible the event system has been updated, which Insomnia would be really sensitive towards.