How to use your controllers with Project Zomboid

Kevlar_29

Question

Figured I'd add this to the new forums, nice treat to see after coming back from 3 weeks holidays. Good job guys :)

I'm well aware all of this can be found googling, but it's easier just to have it here in one easy to find post. I've been updating this when people have made suggestions or found something wrong with it, so if you think I should change anything just let me know.

XBox 360 Controllers [Wired/Wireless]
[Wired]
This controller is probably the easiest to set up and use for PC and more than likely PZ. If you have one of these, chances are you've used it already with your PC, but if not here you go.

1. Firstly, you're going to want to install the drivers for the wired controller. The best way to do this would be with the installation disc that came with the controller however if it didn't come with one you can download it here
2. Next plug the controller in, go to start>run (or windows key+r) and type 'joy.cpl' without the quote marks. If you installed it all and connected it right, then you pressing any buttons should pop up here.

[Wireless]
For this, you're going to need an XBox 360 Wireless Controller USB receiver, you can pick these up online, I'm not sure whether GameStop still stocks them. Microsoft's site that sells them is broken so don't even bother. With this, you can connect up to 4 controllers however making it quite handy

1.  To use the wireless receiver, you'll need to install the drivers again, this one is slightly easier as its plug-and-play, meaning it could be as easy as just hitting 'Install the software automatically'. If the new hardware wizard popped up, then you're good to go. If not, install the drivers manually from here.
2.  Now, it's time to connect the controller, turn the controller on using the guide button, press the sync button on both the controller and the receiver. (The sync button on the controller is on the top of the controller beside the left button.
3.  The lights will stop flashing when it's connected and you can use it the same way as the wired controller.

PS3 Controllers
This is a little bit trickier as there's no built in support on windows for PS3 controllers, however, it's nothing any of you using the test builds can't handle ;)

To do this, you're going to need to download and install the drivers/config software from here (if you have any trouble, mirror here ). Just download and extract. (I've been told MotionJoy is a little.. dodgy, so I've updated this to use XInput Wrapper instead. Thanks EMPdrift for the heads up. For those you who already have MotionJoy, your best bet is switching to MotionJoy's offline and less malwarey client found here)

[installation and use]
Firstly, make sure you have all the requirements for running this software, I know it's a bit hefty but it's worth it.

- Microsoft .NET 4.0
- Visual C 2010 Runtime.
- Latest DirectX Runtime.
- Latest Xbox 360 Controller Drivers available.
- Genuine Sony DualShock3 or SixAxis Controller(s).
- Administrator rights on your PC.

1.  Connect your controller firstly (and bluetooth dongle now if you're going to need it later) and let Windows install its default drivers. Extract the software you downloaded using 7zip or another archive tool.
2.  Create a folder where you want the controller driver service to run from (your best bet is to create it in C:\Controller Service or something similar, this solves any access rights issues) and then copy the contents of the 'ScpServer/bin' directory from the extracted files to your created folder.]
3.  Now, load up 'ScpDriver.exe' in your created folder (if you're using Vista/XP, make sure to check the 'Force Install' checkbox, 7/8 don't need to worry. If you're not going to be using bluetooth then uncheck the 'Bluetooth Driver' checkbox) and hit install, allow any driver install requests that may pop up.
4.  That's it for the installation aspect, to check if your service is running correctly, go to the folder you made in part 3 and load up 'ScpMonitor.exe'. This will tell you when and if you're controllers are connected.

Because these drivers and service emulate a 360 controller connection, you shouldn't have to edit any config! Makes things easy :)

[using your PS3 controller via Bluetooth]
If you're using a laptop that has built in bluetooth, or you have a bluetooth adapter for your PC, or something like that, then you'll be able to use your PS3 controller wirelessly, especially handy for those using it with their TV's or who only have a small mini-USB cable.

[Pairing it with your PC]
1.  Making sure the controller service is running, plug in the controller via USB and it will be automatically paired with your PC.
2.  Disconnect from USB and connect the controller as you would normally, however disconnect by holding R1+L1+PS for 2 seconds.

I was going to add Wii controllers but I decided it's probably not very.. feasible.. considering the amount of buttons, or lack thereof (and lack of dual thumbsticks). If you've any ideas for more controllers let me know and I'll add 'em to the list. Also, any changes or corrections or criticism... let me know!

As for generic gamepads, the range is too broad to just give one guide, I'll do a quick guide on the config files in a bit just to give a heads up to people with issues on that front.

I have a bit of an issue that's been bugging the ever living hell out of me.

After scouring the last forum before the reset and move, I ran through the entire thread trying everything two or three times, but it's either my lack of wit or my lack of *nix knowledge that is leaving me dry. I have Ubuntu Raring (13.04) and I can play PZ just fine with my keyboard and mouse. I hook up my controller and attempt to play. Computer sees it, great. PZ recognizes button presses, awesome sauce. 

Move my right stick to the left? My character starts shoving air. Now I'd love to blame his actions on his sudden stupidity based upon the fact that he's in a kitchen and walking into a stove every time I press up on my left analog stick, but I can't help but to feel this is a user error somewhere. All the face buttons work (not counting start which makes my character walk south if I hold it) just fine. So I know the Joysticksetup.lua is partially correct in some terms, but I can't seem to figure out where the issue is. 3:

If anyone who has a *nix OS can help me out much appreciation. 

TLDR: Analogs aren't working correctly. Left goes left, up does nothing, down does nothing, right moves right. Left triggers turns my character around so long as I push it. Right analog stick shoves if I push it to the left.

Death that's currently a known bug for all Unix based systems, same on OS X. In the config file you can fix the analogue sticks to be right but all the rest is completely borked. At some time in the future I'll be helping RJ figure it out. Might give you a call if we're having trouble pinning down the exact problem.

awesome, I just fixed my swapped Analogue sticks, left now moves and right aims (it was vice versa before) though the left analogue stick shoots randomly, and no face buttons do the shooting.
Dont have a ps3 or Xbox controller (its a powerwave dual analogue) so I'd be keen as to play some co-op with my boys

Any controller that is recognized by Windows as an USB game controller is fine. If it works for you in other games you're probably good to go, but you can also check from Windows' control panel. Type 'game' into the control panel search field, the first option that shows up should be "Set up USB game controllers". Click on that. If your controller shows up in the list, it should work.

Edit: ah right, didn't realize you were talking about a Wii accessory. I have no clue about whether those work with Windows in any official capacity, sorry.

Thanks Kevlar!

I was having no end of trouble with MotionJoy, the pad would constantly pull to the left no matter what I tinkered with! I was about to throw in the towel until I spotted the other software you recomended, it works perfectly, no messing about, Just installed, followed your short guide and now I can finally enjoy multiplayer! :)

Anyone have success with Logitech Dual Analog (non-XBOX version)? The game won't respond to mine at all. :(

UPDATE -- Oh. Nevermind. It started working. Now, how do I trigger split-screen play? :D

UPDATE #2 -- Annnnd figured that out too. K. We got this. XD

Has anyone figured figured out how to load a game and continue with split screen? So far we've been able to start new games with start split-screen, but we have yet been able to load any of the games we've started. Any help would be much appreciated!

Has anyone figured figured out how to load a game and continue with split screen? So far we've been able to start new games with start split-screen, but we have yet been able to load any of the games we've started. Any help would be much appreciated!

When you press a button on the control, it presents you with an option to either take over or add another player. Does that not work when loading an existing save?

Anyone have success with Logitech Dual Analog (non-XBOX version)? The game won't respond to mine at all. :(

UPDATE -- Oh. Nevermind. It started working. Now, how do I trigger split-screen play? :D

UPDATE #2 -- Annnnd figured that out too. K. We got this. XD

I'd like to know how. My Logitech F310 wont work at all.