What can I do to make Skyrim run better on my computer?

Biofrell

Here are my specs:

6 gigabytes of RAM, 1 terabyte hard drive, Intel Graphics card (I know...), Windows 8, and an Intel Core i3-2130 CPU.

No clue bro. I haven't gotten it on PC because I have it on PS3, but you should be able to run it, I think.

Intel HD Graphics can't do anything more than TF2 on low without being frustrating. I know, I had a laptop and then a potato of an HP desktop that I had replaced. Your CPU meets recommended specification, and your RAM well exceeds it. I have not bought Skyrim on my PC yet, so I have not tested myself, but if your package supports a video card and you want something immediately on the cheap that should work, I have an XFX AMD Radeon HD 5450 2GB ( http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-PCI-Express-Video-ON-XFX1-DLX2/dp/B008N1DU8W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1377234619&sr=8-5&keywords=radeon+hd+5450 )

However you might want to decide to wait and buy something better, since there are cards available that aren't too much more but outperform this video card. I'm not sure how finicky mobos are with video cards and all that jazz since I haven't built a computer yet but here's a good resource to have: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

tl;dr: Your intergrated GPU sux and you should have it replaced.  (fedora)

Im no tech wizard but even I know that you need a special magic gfx card to make the magic happen. I advise ripping that crappy thing out of your rig with your teeth then getting a purpose built one that works with your motherboard. Make sure that you take Enigma's advice before installing it. Apparently the blood of innocent virgins works best and you get a slight increase in FPS.

Im no tech wizard but even I know that you need a special magic gfx card to make the magic happen. I advise ripping that crappy thing out of your rig with your teeth then getting a purpose built one that works with your motherboard. Make sure that you take Enigma's advice before installing it. Apparently the blood of innocent virgins works best and you get a slight increase in FPS.

The man speaks the truth. I lather my video card with a butterknife coated in virgin blood liberally before and after play sessions and my games work great!

And having your game run off a 1 TB drive is . . . insanity.

Though, not as insane as it use to be, since they can cache pretty well for large file transfers, but I'll be a proponent of 200 MB/s + access times of solid state drives. God, I love these little electronic wafers.

Intel HD Graphics can't do anything more than TF2 on low without being frustrating. I know, I had a laptop and then a potato of an HP desktop that I had replaced. Your CPU meets recommended specification, and your RAM well exceeds it. I have not bought Skyrim on my PC yet, so I have not tested myself, but if your package supports a video card and you want something immediately on the cheap that should work, I have an XFX AMD Radeon HD 5450 2GB ( http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-PCI-Express-Video-ON-XFX1-DLX2/dp/B008N1DU8W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1377234619&sr=8-5&keywords=radeon+hd+5450 )

However you might want to decide to wait and buy something better, since there are cards available that aren't too much more but outperform this video card. I'm not sure how finicky mobos are with video cards and all that jazz since I haven't built a computer yet but here's a good resource to have: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

tl;dr: Your intergrated GPU sux and you should have it replaced.  (fedora)

I have an Intel HD graphics, yet I can run most 2012 games on Low-Medium.

I probably have a newer card though.

Intel HD graphics are integrated so you don't have a card, its running off the CPU. But yeah, OP, don't use shitty integrated graphics. Get a cheap Radeon card for like 70~90 bucks. 

Edit:NO GPU 4 U

Edited by Pixel Bombs

Intel HD graphics are integrated so you don't have a card, its running off the CPU. But yeah, OP, don't use shitty integrated graphics. Get a cheap Radeon card for like 70~90 bucks. 

Edit: The 7000 series is pretty good and this one is only 90 bucks. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161403

Oh. Well that sucks.

I really need to get a desktop.

GPUs are everything man. We have a four or five year old PC. When we built it, we got medium-top of the range gear. The only thing we've swapped out is the graphics card twice for newer models. It went from glugging along on Skyrim on lowest settings to super-smooth ultra with 150NZD.

EDIT: NZD is new zealand dollars.

GPUs are everything man. We have a four or five year old PC. When we built it, we got medium-top of the range gear. The only thing we've swapped out is the graphics card twice for newer models. It went from glugging along on Skyrim on lowest settings to super-smooth ultra with 150NZD.

Not really. If you have a shit CPU it can bottleneck your GPUs performance. His seems alright, but if he were to get a GTX 780 or HD 7990 he would be throwing money away.

Not really. If you have a shit CPU it can bottleneck your GPUs performance. His seems alright, but if he were to get a GTX 780 or HD 7990 he would be throwing money away.

True true, but you're far less likely to need to replace your CPU than your GPU. GPU and RAM is my first pit stop for improving performance.