Moving World Objects/Climbing Over Objects

CaptKaspar

I know that is has been mentioned that in the future we will be getting movable 'wheelie bins' and that we should have the ability to move furniture, but I was hoping that this could eventually apply to all the objects in the world.

I would love to be able to move a couch behind a door to prevent players/zombies from getting in, to be able to roll cars into place once they are implemented and create barriers (virtually all cars have a manual override to put them into neutral. There is usually a small access panel somewhere near the shifting mechanism that allows mechanics/tow drivers to put 'dead' vehicles in neutral. Obviously manual cars you can just press in the clutch), to pile up beds, grills, boxes, shelves, etc to create obstacles for zombies and players. You can use this to beef up your defenses and you can create deathtraps that funnel players and zombies into your kill zone. Sure you can do this now, but you need to build walls to do it and that is just excessive and a waste when you can do it with objects just laying around.

It would also be cool if moving these by yourself created a lot more noise than if moved with an additional player/NPC. By yourself you'd have to drag a couch, but with a friend you could do it a lot more quietly by picking it up.

Also, I suggest that we should be able to climb over a lot more obstacles than we currently can. I can't tell you how many times I've been annoyed that I can't just walk over a couch/chair or climb over a bar/counter. The ability to hop over obstacles is already programmed in. We just can only do it on windows and fences. Being able to climb a chain-link or house fence for a 27 year old that is in shape should not be a problem either. Maybe overweight players wouldn't have that option? We shouldn't be able to take down a chain-link fence with a sledgehammer, but we should be able to climb over one.

I realize that some of these ideas would change the game play a bit, but I think they are feasible to develop and realistic to implement in this game world. It would expand the options on style of play and make the game more realistic and immersive IMHO.

of all the items in the game that could be movable, the one i want most is the silver BBQ, the one that runs on the propane tanks. i like to use west point as home base, and having only 2 of those in west point drives me bonkers. really dont like the tiny houses they are located at for use as a base.

• 7 months later...

Is the animation update the big thing that needs to happen before we can move furniture? Or are there other major technical issues that need to be resolved first?

The engine most likely needs some additions to handle the moving stuff. Animations have nothing to do with that. It's on the to do list, but so are many other things.

Is the animation update the big thing that needs to happen before we can move furniture? Or are there other major technical issues that need to be resolved first?

The engine most likely needs some additions to handle the moving stuff. Animations have nothing to do with that. It's on the to do list, but so are many other things.

Do they have an official to-do list posted anywhere? I saw the stickied post in the suggestions forum, but I don't know if that has been dev-endorsed or not.

Do they have an official to-do list posted anywhere? I saw the stickied post in the suggestions forum, but I don't know if that has been dev-endorsed or not.

All of the things mentioned in that list are something the devs have specifically said they'd want to do or don't ever want to do, for zomboid. So in part yes it's endorsed but also it's not their official list. It's gathered by Rath on what the devs have said on the forums and in private discussions. Nothing is written in stone, but that's as close as it gets. Of course it doesn't include everything they've thought of.

of all the items in the game that could be movable, the one i want most is the silver BBQ, the one that runs on the propane tanks. i like to use west point as home base, and having only 2 of those in west point drives me bonkers. really dont like the tiny houses they are located at for use as a base.

Omg yes. I get those huge propane tanks and lug them back to my base only to realize that the closest grill is like miles away!

That being said, I remember when pushing couches and other items was in the game. I liked it a lot.... And then at the same time I didn't... sometimes I'd run into a couch and not mean to move it, and then I could never get it to look right again (the couch was segmented into 2 pieces).

I'd hate to say it, but I think using a right click option would be awesome for this.

"Right click, use Strength"

"Baldspot has used Strength, Baldspot can now move boul.. couches"