Announcing... the Project Zomboid Nexus!

Dudeman325

Hey there, been playing Project Zomboid for a few months, and I recently decided to try out playing with mods, and even more recently making my own, which I've posted in the Items mod section on this forum (Homemade Bats, for those interested). I've been using Dropbox to host my file for now, but a while ago when I was modding New Vegas and Skyrim I hosted my mods over at The Nexus. Not too long ago, they opened up the site to allow hosting mods for any games. Which brings me to the point of this post and this introduction...

The Project Zomboid Nexus has launched! However, there is only one mod hosted there right now... (mine, of course :P )

For those unfamiliar with the Nexus, its a website that used to just host mods for the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, but has started expanding to eventually become a hub for any game that supports modding. There are many advantages for both mod makers and users to host their mods at the Nexus instead of the many generic file hosting websites, such as the Nexus Mod Manager, a utility that can easily install mods to the correct locations at the single touch of a button, eliminating the need for complicated installation instructions (which thankfully PZ isn't too guilty of). Users can also track their favorite mods to immediately receive both site notifications and email alerts as soon as new updates are published. Each mod keeps track of views, downloads, and endorsements (similar to "likes"), which allows for popular, well made mods to show their status, as well as allowing hot new mods to be prominently featured so that the community knows they mean business. Which brings me next to the community...

I feel that the Project Zomboid modding community could really flourish at the Nexus, just like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout modders did before. However, we need people to be aware of it for it to exist! So I'm asking any and all mod makers to give the site a look, and if you like what you see, to host your mods there.

Here's an example of my most popular Skyrim mod on the Nexus, Better Bee Hive, to give you an idea of what a functioning mod's page looks like.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If the moderators feel this thread would be more appropriate in the PZ General Discussion subforum, please move it.

I'm a pretty long time user of TES nexus sites so I'm very happy to see this happening. My only concern with new mod hosting sites is that the mods will most likely be dispersed over multiple sites and you'll have to search all to find the ones you'll like.

Although I'll have to say that the Nexus has probably the best mod install/support/search etc. that I've encountered so far. I also have my doubts on the 'upcoming' steam workshop since it turned out to be quite a failure in regards of mod compatibility with Skyrim.

Anyway's I think this is a positive thing above all and I'll definitely be posting any and all of my new mods also in the Nexus from now on! :)

I'm a pretty long time user of TES nexus sites so I'm very happy to see this happening. My only concern with new mod hosting sites is that the mods will most likely be dispersed over multiple sites and you'll have to search all to find the ones you'll like.

Although I'll have to say that the Nexus has probably the best mod install/support/search etc. that I've encountered so far. I also have my doubts on the 'upcoming' steam workshop since it turned out to be quite a failure in regards of mod compatibility with Skyrim.

Anyway's I think this is a positive thing above all and I'll definitely be posting any and all of my new mods also in the Nexus from now on! :)

NMM works with PZ mods, just like that?

Nah. I don't think it does. Someone will have to make it compatible. :???: And I doubt it'd work well right off the bat, since the folder positions etc. are constantly changing.

The only proper place for mod and map installs is in the user home folder and it'll stay there, any mods (including maps) that require installation in the game's install dir or elsewhere need updating. If there are bugs with the mod system itself that stops modders from doing so, those need to be filed on the bug tracker. It is also in TIS' interest to get the system to work in a standard manner to eventually work with Steam Workshop.

Nah. I don't think it does. Someone will have to make it compatible. :???: And I doubt it'd work well right off the bat, since the folder positions etc. are constantly changing.

The only proper place for mod and map installs is in the user home folder and it'll stay there, any mods (including maps) that require installation in the game's install dir or elsewhere need updating. If there are bugs with the mod system itself that stops modders from doing so, those need to be filed on the bug tracker. It is also in TIS' interest to get the system to work in a standard manner to eventually work with Steam Workshop.

Ok, I just noticed my own error! Sorry about that and thanks for the correction! :D I was thinking about the folder structure of the mod, but then that would be just the mod that'd require the edit. 

Yeah, I thought/hope so too, but as we never know...

Anyway, point was that it doesn't work with the NMM. I tried to do a few workarounds through the existing games in it, but since you have to pick an exact game for the manager to work, PZ would need to be added either by the Nexus people (which I think might be the only way...) or by someone who knows how the NMM inner workings go and is able to add it (and this might only be the Nexus people).

I also tried searching for it a bit, but found only vague answers that it's really hard to add new games into the NMM etc.

Interesting, I remember using Nexus a lot when I used to play Fallout. I gotta say it was a pretty smooth ride and enjoyable to look through the pile of available mods and easily downloading them. But there was still the issue of mod compatibility. Modders still need to look into making their mods compatible with other mods in that system (for some at least). Not sure if it would be the same for PZ. But I'll definitely keep an eye on the PZ Nexus for hosting my mods in the future if that turns out to be possible. It does go a step beyond with the mod manager in comparison to pz-mods.net.

I also tried searching for it a bit, but found only vague answers that it's really hard to add new games into the NMM etc.

This is my understanding too, would need the Nexus people somewhere higher up to add support.

My experiences with NMM-supported games have been 50/50, but when it does work it is damn convenient, especially when you want to download and install around 5GB of mods in a row. My main problem with it was that it doesn't discern between mods that are and aren't NMM compatible, thus seemingly allow you to install mods off Nexus which in fact don't work when installed via NMM. I also don't particularly like the Nexus site UI, so without NMM support I don't see myself using it much.

Anyway, choice is good to have, so, yay!

Whoops, that'll teach me to make a new topic right before going to bed. I should have barricaded the windows... :D

My only concern with new mod hosting sites is that the mods will most likely be dispersed over multiple sites and you'll have to search all to find the ones you'll like.

I'll admit that this is a concern, but is really no different than the current situation we have right now, with some mods being hosted at pz-mods, others on generic file-hosts, but I think as long as modders keep making a post here that links to their mod we should be able to keep things at least as organized as it already is.

Doh, I probably should have pointed out in the OP that Nexus Mod Manager does not currently work with PZ, seeing as PZ hasn't been on the Nexus for even 24 hours, but will likely be updated soon should the PZ Nexus become popular enough.

Interesting, I remember using Nexus a lot when I used to play Fallout. I gotta say it was a pretty smooth ride and enjoyable to look through the pile of available mods and easily downloading them. But there was still the issue of mod compatibility. Modders still need to look into making their mods compatible with other mods in that system (for some at least). Not sure if it would be the same for PZ.

The same is true (partially) for PZ, but the specifics you are talking about were (and still are) a fault of Fallout and TES game's mod structure, and there isn't really anything the Nexus can do about it. PZ modders still need to worry about making their mods compatible with each other to an extent, for example if two mods both changed the Baseball Bat (one adding damage, the other adding durability), only one could be applied without overwriting the changes of the other (afaik, please correct me if I'm wrong here, I just started with PZ modding not too long ago).

The only thing modders would have to do to make a mod "compatible" with the Nexus would be to standardize the file structure inside their rars when/if NMM support goes live so that they can be installed properly through NMM. Without NMM support, modders can host their files in pretty much any setup they like, but they should point out how to install the mod in the description.

My main problem with it was that it doesn't discern between mods that are and aren't NMM compatible, thus seemingly allow you to install mods off Nexus which in fact don't work when installed via NMM.

I can see that being a problem, but its really only the fault of the modder for not setting their mod up properly for installation. In PZ's case, if/when NMM support goes live, I'd think that mods which use the current "mod folder" system would work exceptionally well, just package the whole folder in a rar. Mods that change or add files to the main game folders (which apparently should be phased out soon?) would have to be installed manually, just like for mods for Fallout/TES that don't install to the "Data" folder.

I put my mod up too.

Awesome, I'll give it a look. :)

I'm glad to see the response here is overwhelmingly positive. This is a great modding community, and I think time is only going to make it even better!