The Fishing System

RobertJohnson

Yay ! Finally I did it ! The fishing thread ! :D

First of all : Please remember that this is an early access game, so you can help us here, we listen to you guys, if you have any suggestion about fishing in the game or how it works (like if everyone want QTE fishing, we can do it !), please tell us in this thread ! :)

Let's roll ! (to be a rock and not to rooolllllll... Sorry.)

1) Required stuff (yes, you CAN'T fish with your hands, or you're Bear Grills.)

• A fishing rod
  • Bait
  • Water (and not a rain collector barrel :D)

Let's talk about the fishing rod, you can find one or you can craft one : You'll need a wooden stick, some twine (or fishing twine), a hook made of nails or paperclip and a knife to craft this all.

So why use a fishing twine instead of the classic twine ? Well, just because it's more resistant, you'll have less chance to broke a fishing twine than a classic twine.

The bait now, you have 3 types of bait so far : Worms, Bait fish, Fishing Tackle.

Worms first, you can find some by digging the ground, they are great to catch a lot of fishes.

Bait fish now, you can fish them sometimes, or just put a fishing net and wait for them (more info in 2) !) they are used to catch bigger fishes (like Pike)

And finally Fishing Tackle, be warn with them, they are more used by good fisherman, don't really try them if you're low on fishing skills (oh, did I say there was a fishing skill ? Damn, I need to practise those kind of thread... :P)

Ok, you're ready now ? The hardest part : right click on water, select "fishing" !

And then you have to wait... And wait.... And try again... And lose bait, try AGAIN, and wait.... And maybe catch something... Maybe some socks...

Oh. Be carefull tho, our game have zombies.

2) Fishing net ! (for lazy fisherman, yay !)

You can find them, or craft them with some wire and twine (lot of twine.. 2 FULL twine), then you just put them in water (right click on water, select "place fishing net").

Then, you just have to... Mmh... What the main thing about fishing ? WAIT ! YEAH ! It's pretty easy, just wait and check your trap sometimes (I give you a clue : wait a minimum of 1h before checking it), be carefull, the more you wait, the more chance it have to break... Check it every 10h or something.

So for now you can only catch fish bait with them, those fishes are used to catch bigger fishes (like zombie sand double headed shark... I wonder how many people read all my stuff entirely.. We'll see with this :P).

3) Fishing skills !

Who said fishing not require any skills ? (answer : me as a child)

The skill is involved in lot of things, like the time needed to catch something, the chance to break the line, the chance to lose the fishing tackle, the chance to lose the fish if he bait, etc.

4) Fishes !

After a lot of researches (I'm not kidding, jeez, I even found this : https://twitter.com/rj_pz/status/454169911166660610 like REALLY ?) we added different type of fishes (7 !), all can be found in Kentucky, yup, let's stay realistic here ! (but don't worry, the system is really EASY to mod, so add your own fishes !)

They each have 3 size (small, medium and large... I don't know why, but I need a coke now...), and each type have min/max weight/size, so for example, a small trout can be from 10 to 20cm and a medium one from 20 to 30 (this is just an example, I don't remember the exact numbers :P).

The size influence the weight which influence the hunger reduction given by the fish.

A large fish have more chance to break your line, but will also give you a lot of hunger reduction and give you more xp !

Once you catch a fish, you can cook it directly, or cut the fillet so it can be used in a lot of recipes, but by cutting fillet you'll lose a slight hunger reduction of it (a slight, really).

6) Dawn and Dusk

You'll have more chance to catch fishes at dawn and dusk... Mmh yup, that's all I have to said here... Don't have any jokes left... Mmh... Well, that was interesting at least...

Ok, I think I'm done for fishing !

Oh yeah, for modders, check the fishing_properties.lua file, everything is down there, pretty easy to add your own fishes/bait, right ? :)

Again, I'd like to hear feedback from fisherman (and non-fisherman) about how realistic is it, do you get the thrill of catching a large fish, is it too boring, too easy/hard ? TELL ME ! :D

Thanks !

And like the dolphins said once : Goodbye and thanks for all the fish !

man i have been fishing for literally 19 hours straight , and i love it.

thanks for this thread and the fishing addition also . this was one of the features of build 26 i was waiting on.

and digging your own worms is great . i dig it. lol

Tried to fish, got too much bait. Got one fish, power goes out. Tries to make campfire, bugs out and doesn't light... No cooked fishy for me... But anyway, AWESOME! I need to gather many fishing lines and nets to go on a full on, West Point River annihilation of fish.

Now I have 2 fishing rods, loads of tackle, some worms and loads of fishing nets/lines and paperclips, all from the hardware store in Bedford. But nowhere nearby to fish Dx

Still, it is nice to know that paperclips do have a use. Is this why when opening a box of nails I can also open a box of paperclips?

Edit; I will make a topic about it, but I'm on my phone right now.

Thanks RJ! this helps a lot! Also awesome work altogether! :)

If you find the time, could you possibly add the dig option to the spade too? I was somewhat missing this when I started fishing. I understand that it might offset the farming a bit if it's the same "dig", but at least I'd prefer it to be that way. Anyone else? Your call though. :)

Thanks again! This is too great! :D

I'd love to be able to make a Chum Bucket type of item. Take some old, rotten food (or even some fresh food if you've got spare) and add it to a bucket to create "Chum Bucket". Take it out to the water and throw it in. Now every fish in the area is running to the newfound spot with a high concentration of food for them and they're eating it all up in a frenzy.

Also, cutting a fish into a fillet should give you a bunch of bones and internal organs which you can also add to the "Chum Bucket", helping to draw in more fish than you had available before.

is it possible to build fishing rod?

Let's talk about the fishing rod, you can find one or you can craft one : You'll need a wooden stick, some twine (or fishing twine), a hook made of nails or paperclip and a knife to craft this all.

I'd love to be able to make a Chum Bucket type of item. Take some old, rotten food (or even some fresh food if you've got spare) and add it to a bucket to create "Chum Bucket". Take it out to the water and throw it in. Now every fish in the area is running to the newfound spot with a high concentration of food for them and they're eating it all up in a frenzy.

Also, cutting a fish into a fillet should give you a bunch of bones and internal organs which you can also add to the "Chum Bucket", helping to draw in more fish than you had available before.

This is necessary. Baiting, once hunting comes into play we'll need to do pretty much the same thing. It's the apocalypse. While this isn't very sportsmanlike this is definitely something that should be added. It would also make a major benefit to all the rotten food that is going to be in everyones world.

I like this idea ! :) Will see what I can do with that :)

Yeah, the idea is cool and I have another idea, as I read it.

What about filling a plastic bag with food, tie it, so it is waterproof and throw the bag with a rope on it in the lake or river.

The advantage: Cool your food in summer. It is probably not as good as a fridge, but when the power is off, it's maybe a good idea.

the fishing is great, really enjoying it's addition to the game. but i have an idea for the line. IRL, there is not one line for all fish, there are numerous types of line and strength's of line. a 4 lb monofilament line would be good for Crappie and small to medium Trout but a Pike or large Bass or Walleye would snap it no problem. while a good 25 lb braided line with steel leader would be great for a toothy fish like the Pike, but would be massive overkill if going after smaller fish.

so how about bringing in 2 or 3 more fishing lines of varying strength, color coded. red could be the strongest, followed by yellow, green and blue as the weakest  as shown on the durability bar. of course, this would require most people to have 4 fishing rods with each line on the individual rods.

(a little info on the various lines http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/_/N-1100383?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480)