badtrix

• 2 weeks later...

This mod works pretty well with build 26, one issue I'm having is that if I try to build an item and there's not enough nails, it crashes the game.

This is mainly an issue with the cellar as it says it only takes 1 nail, but really needs 10 nails. So if you don't have the full 10 (thinking it only needs 1 like stated in the recipe) it will crash.

Otherwise, great mod! That small issue is the only problem I have with it. Keep it up to date, I love this mod. Thanks for creating it.

Edit: Digging clay also only seems to work 5% of the time or so.

Edit 2: Digging clay works just fine, I didn't realize you had to left click a tile after selecting it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh guy... yesterday i saw the thread that devs confirmed basements but my first thought was that they dont add the feature that its cold down there and you

could save ur food from rottening in there. And then i saw ur mod. Awesome work... your implementation of the basement is great and logical. 

For future improvements it would be cool if the stuff that can be crafted dont look like IKEA Stuff. It should looked used or not high quality crafted (i hope u get what i mean).

Second point is that ppl can build stuff to easily. I think it would be better if the most stuff cant be build without at least level 4 crafting. because the mod makes surviving easier.

I know its easy to say do this and that but i think this points would make a realy great improvement to ur mod. Keep up the good work.

Oh and i got an question that u maybe could answer: I wanted to add new Items for preservation and edited the BuildingModFood.txt and added the Cabbage. But it didnt work. I looked also in the other files but i didnt find any hint. Maybe u could give me a little advice.

Edit: Got it... found the last bit in the BMPreserve.lua. ;)

Edit Number 2: Okay i can now preserve the cabbage but if move it from the ceillar to my inventory the item disappears. i know that the (P) item should be deleted and replaced by an original item. I think something is wrong with the replacement part. I will continue to look into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi badtrix! Good job with this mod. I use b27 and it's ok, beside the clay thing.

I was just wondering if there is a way to build without resources, like free building.
I took a look at the lua and found "BuildingMod.cheat = false;"...if I set it to true will it enable free building?
Otherwise, what should I do?
Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice mod. Especially well and cellar are very usefull- I rly missed that in vanilla. Too bad it kinda looks dead since 29 build where devs made some major changes in classes in IsoThumpable.class file. I've tried to add 'preserve' class but i can only view it without editing.

Could you please post that file for 29 build or just simply explain how to edit and build IsoThumpable.class file?

• 2 weeks later...

I played a bit with this mod and because I love building a base in the endgame the brick walls and new furniture was a great addition. However the ghosttiles werent showing, so I was building blind and to get clay, I had to write a small script that produces clay just using the shovel as a never ending ingredient.

This Weekend I wanted to try some things out and looked at the lua files a bit closer. I have still no real clue how everything works but with a bit spying on other mods and the original game files I tried this and that.

Currently I have found the ghosttiles not showing bug and some small typos in the lua file. The cellar still doesn't work however as does the clay digging.

But for everyone who likes to have some silly decoration options that don't change the game at all or just wants a fence that is more fitting in style to the wooden walls I think I've something nice here.

After I got permission I would love to upload it here.

It would need some finetuning concerning needed building materials. ATM my main concern was to have it in a state where I can reliably add new things to build and that these work in the game like intended. (hoppable, iscontainer, ghosttiles etc etc)...

Currently I have added dozens of furnitures, floors and decoration stuff. But it's not much more than a tool to bring some sprites on the map on the cost of a few planks and nails. It would need some finetuning concerning different health ammounts of the objects and needed materials.

I've never really made a mod myself, but allways edited mods of other people to my liking. So all credit goes to the original Autor badtrix! He made the template I simply built upon. And also credit to Pravus and his RKFMod, I used a file from his mod and the mod in general as a reference.

I hope it is ok to upload my updatet version of the building mod now. I didn't get permission, but badtrix wasn't online for a long time.

So here is the link and an attached screenchot of some of the new options I added.

All credit goes to the original autor.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-9690464/BuildingMod.rar.html

I am new to modding, so if something odd happens please tell me. For me it worked on build 29.

The cellar and windows are still not working and the white storage tent doesn't show after a reload. I am working on it.

post-4388-0-89926000-1413394386_thumb.pn

Hi. I circumvented the clay digging with a simple recipe. It uses the spade (you keep it of course)  and gives you 4 clay, 1 clay in turn gives 6 bricks. That's enough for one wall element.

I wouldn't call it balanced in any way. It's just a dirty fix to be able to use the mod at all. It's a bit like cheating :) But honestly, before, you just had to be outside and click the ground with a spade, so I wouldn't say its thaaaaaaaat much of a change.

Still if you want to keep the game hard, you will have to restrain yourself a bit with the brick walls^^

Also, I am still working on it. I got the pool table and pool wall reck to need a pool cue to be build and that was my achievement for today that took me some hours to get it working.

In the long run I may find solutions for getting the clay that are more immersive... I am thinking about building a "mineshaft" that needs a lot of planks but can be used to get clay after being placed. But for that I need to find a way to 1, introduce new sprites (that didn't work with the cellar.png and I have no idea how to do it) and 2, write my own little lua file that has a function to get clay from clicking an object placed in the gameworld.

I am as far from writing my own functions (that actually work like intended) as is the earth is from the moon atm. So for now... dirty-shovel-recipe-instant-clay-fix ;)

It's much easier for me to introduce building options that use items allready ingame (like the new stone item-I will make the stone garden floors use stones to build), so I think I will use the time I spend next on the mod to introduce new building options and balance those I allready added (like with the pool table).

The mod shouldn't conflict with anything as it doesn't overwrite any file. The only file I am a bit concerned about and have to look more closely at, is the waterContainer.lua (and that stupid white tent) that is used for the well. It is working on my game, but you never know...

Also, the sustain mod uses metal scraps like this mod does. There will be no issues, but because both metalscraps items come from different modules, the metal scraps from this mod won't work with recipes from the other mod and vica versa.

Good work Gaunti... I had wanted this in my compilation originally... In the coming days I'll take a look at your file and see if I can't get it to work with my sustain mod... I can tweak the metal scraps so they can be used for building in this mod and mine, which was the original intent... back when this worked.

Of course this can stand alone for anyone who wants it and it's fantastic as is... but if your update works, I'd absolutely love to have it in my mod... more building the merrier.

All I ever wanted was my own custom metal cabinet. But I'd really love to see that food hatch work...

Good work Gaunti... I had wanted this in my compilation originally... In the coming days I'll take a look at your file and see if I can't get it to work with my sustain mod... I can tweak the metal scraps so they can be used for building in this mod and mine, which was the original intent... back when this worked.

Of course this can stand alone for anyone who wants it and it's fantastic as is... but if your update works, I'd absolutely love to have it in my mod... more building the merrier.

All I ever wanted was my own custom metal cabinet. But I'd really love to see that food hatch work...

Thanks guys for the kind words!

If you want to include "my" files in your mod, go with it. i would be happy to see my work living on in another mod with more functions! I could post my standalone updates here and you would just have to change the script files a little bit once (incorporate them in your mod files or change the module names), and after that is done, you would only need to update the lua files after every update, as I probaply will only work on the lua files from now on.

I looked at your files, and I think the recycling aspect of the original building mod by badtrix and your mod would work great together.

I also used your emptytincan item in my personal (unpublished) mod collection and added the emptytincan in the recycling module of this mod. Maybe a nice addition for your mod, also:

I added the line "ReplaceOnUse    =    EmptyTinCan," to the OpenBeans, TinnedSoupOpen,  DogfoodOpen and the TunaTinOpen items. But the TunaTin may be a bit off.

OK thanks, and keep on the good work, it is amazing!

I tried on my save and there's no problem or conflict with other mods (for the moment).

Edit : my spade still doesn't do anything.

Do you have an empty sandbag in your main inventory?

This mod (the one in my link) doesn't have any "dig" function in it anymore. I deleted all those files.  But the old one had. If you have files from the old building mod left, that could be the problem.

To get the clay now, you just need to rightclick the spade in your inventory. There should be an option "make clay".

aaaaaaand an update (v1.1):

http://www.file-upload.net/download-9749151/BuildingMod.rar.html

Edit: Link is now V 1.1b Thanks to Brybry who found a mistake in the lua file regarding the well.

Most important are the new walls:

BWzTnJX.jpg

Some new decoration options like a christian cross or a laundry box and a terrarium (both containers) have been added, too.

Thanks to Brybry we now also have a way to get rid of those empty propanetanks. We put them on the ground. That is, if we do not convert them into metal with the help of a toolbox to build much better stuff (hint, hint).

And I changed the doodle to put notes on the wall to the SheetPaper. I didn't get that doodles can't be made anymore (that's what happens if you test your mod with an itemspawner-necroforge).

Also, while testing today I found out that some decoration options put up an invisible wall on their square. I got rid of that.

I think I will only add a few more options that are just decoration or one-square stuff because the menu is getting cluttered and there is no real need for 40+ different floors (but I will add a few more floors^^).

What I am aiming next for are building options that will cost me a bit more time to get them working:

First there are the wardrobes: They are two tile objects, but can rotate in 4 directions. The files in the game that I can look at as examples are for two tile objects that rotate in only 2 directions. So that will take some time.

Next planned are lightsources for indoors. There are enough sprites in the game allready, but I will have to look into the ISlightsource a bit more, because if I just copy the wooden lightpillar and use other sprites and requisites the light will shine in just one direction. But I think that is easy (I hope).

It would also be nice to get a working oven for indoos. There is a good sprite in the game, but I want it to do something. Best would be to have it behave like a campfire but without the "burn your house down". That will also take some time and a lot of testing.

And of course... the cellar from the original building mod by Badtrix (I really hope if you come back you don't mind I picked your mod up)... but so far I haven't even got the custom-sprite-invisible-on-reload problem resolved.

A much smaller problem, but one that bothers me very much, are the small container symbols you see in the inventory window. So far every container in this mod uses the shelf symbol and I would frickin love to know what determines which symbol is used. Before I touched the mod all containers used the crate symbol and I have no idea what I changed to get the shelf symbol. It is nothing serious but if you have a lot of containers in sight it helps to differentiate them on the first view.

cheers!

snip

Might want to change client\BuildingObjects\ISUI\BuildingMod.lua:524 local barrel = WaterContainer:new(player, sprite, waterMax);

to local barrel = WaterContainer:new(player, sprite.sprite, waterMax);

Needs to be passed a string and not a lua table.

Thank you very much for looking into it!!! I don't really know what I am doing and any help is much appreciated!

Do I have to change the line in the WaterContainer.lua file to that this function refers, too?

it says: "function WaterContainer:new(player, sprite, waterMax)" and if I change "WaterContainer:new(player, sprite, waterMax);" to "WaterContainer:new(player, sprite.sprite, waterMax);" (in the BuildingMod.lua), I am not sure if I have to change "function WaterContainer:new(player, sprite, waterMax)" to "function WaterContainer:new(player, sprite.sprite, waterMax)" in the WaterContainer.lua, too.

I think I don't have to because the other files in server/buildingobjects like BMcontainer.lua have only "sprite, northsprite, southsprite, eastsprite" and not "sprite.sprite, sprite.northsprite, etc etc".

If that is the case, I think I am beginning to understand this sprite.sprite and sprite thing...

The single "sprite", that you call a lua table is some kind of bigger function, telling the game that it's about graphics, in the "sprite" case the sprite with a west orientation (to say it in noob words). And sprite.sprite tells the game that it's about a single, special sprite that is defined somewhere (in this case under the "DrawWellSprites" function with "sprite.sprite = "camping_01_16"").

So, to the WaterContainer.lua file that single sprite "camping_01_16" gets passed... so there is only "WaterContainer:new(player, sprite, waterMax)" written in that file, so that the game understands that "camping_01_16" (which gets passed to this function) is a sprite.

Would I write "sprite.sprite" in the WaterContainer.lua file, also, it would search for a sprite that is defined in the locals under this function.

Sorry if I ask so much, I don't expect people here to teach me programming, but any insight I get gets me way further if in the future I know what I am doing and not just "trying out what works". Which is a very cumbersome and time consuming method^^

Anyways, above post has been updated to v 1.1b with your edit. Thank you for finding the bug!

You don't need to change WaterContainer.lua, just the one line in BuildingMod.lua

The 'sprite' variable in BuildingMod.lua is a 'table' (it's like an array and/or map in other languages). If you're new to programming then think of it like a list. In this case it's a list of strings (text) which refer to texture names for sprites. WaterContainer:new was expecting a string (text) and instead was being sent a table (a list of strings/text) causing an error.

Because the 'Well' looks the same no matter how it's rotated so it only needs one sprite set for two directions, while most objects need at least two sprites so that they look correct when rotated.