Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Zombie Duplication Mod

Build 25 fun instant hordes zombie duplication duplicator mod

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ToastedFishSandwich

ToastedFishSandwich

"The Original Hot-Melt"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

Hi all.

I've made a mod in which killing a zombie spawns two zombies nearby after a short delay unless the original zombie was on fire. There are options for fire, delay and whether or not the zombies spawn nearby or directly on the corpse.

In theory this could lead to some really interesting gameplay where you really have to think about whether it's worth killing a zombie now only to have to deal with two more in a few seconds time or whether or not to use your last Molotov on a horde. If you have any suggestions or feedback then please do voice them so that I can improve the mod.

This works on IWBUMS (a basic build 23 version is also available).

To install all one must do is put the zip into their Username/Zomboid/mods/ folder, right-click it and select "Extract All" in the drop-down menu.

Download (Full Package)

Download (Kill it with Fire {No positional change})

Download (Delay Only {No position change} [No Fire])

Download (No Delay {Or positional change} [Or Fire])

Download (Build 23)

• Footmuffin, Shivster, GeronimoJay and 2 others like this
"Why can't we unexpect the expected?"      -Keepbro
"Homosexual monsters screaming the YMCA lyrics with dildos and a strap-on"      -Chancebond

#2 Shivster

Shivster

Hidden From View

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

This is a great idea. It will make me change my game play no longer will i be able to mass kill zombies with my shotgun. And picking a safe house will be more of a challenge.

Just a few questions.

Are the zombies spawned to a random area or near where you killed the zombie?

Are the zombies that are spawned Fresh zombies or are they the weaker slow ones?

Did you change the loot table at all since zombies can be farmed forever?

Any way great idea i am always looking for a way to make the game harder so thanks :)

I Put my mods on the forums here and at http://pz-mods.net/

#3 Thebig44

Thebig44

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

The challenged has begun.

Now i only need a adequate map for it.

Don't look here, look at my post dummy!

#4 ToastedFishSandwich

ToastedFishSandwich

"The Original Hot-Melt"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

As of right now the zombies are spawned right where you killed the zombie instantly but I'm working towards the possibility of a 10-30 second delay and a random, locational, offset could be included too, I'm not certain if they're fresh or rotten but I'd assume they'd be fresh. The looting issue is something that didn't even occur to me but now you've mentioned it I might just have to change it up a bit. Although the amount of zombies you'd have to kill to get anything useful would go on to create a massive horde which you obviously then wouldn't be able remove.

I'm glad there is some interest and I'd love to see some kind of challenge run.

"Homosexual monsters screaming the YMCA lyrics with dildos and a strap-on"      -Chancebond

#5 syfy

syfy

ERR_TITLE_0x00000000

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1127 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

a little hazy on this, i kill one and get two in return. what happens if i kill the two new zombies, do i get 4 in return, or does the mod somehow identify the zombies that were in the game and distinguish them from the mod spawned zombies, making it so only the "original" zombies give you the 2 for 1 deal?

syfy2K4 on Twitch & Twitter

#6 ToastedFishSandwich

ToastedFishSandwich

"The Original Hot-Melt"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

Nope, during testing I killed a zombie to see if the mod was working. I then killed the next lot of zombies. By the time my hammer broke I had amassed a sizeable horde. It's impossible to reduce the number of zombies at the moment (though I might upload an alternate version where fire perma-kills them.

#7 syfy

syfy

ERR_TITLE_0x00000000

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1127 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

oh boy.............

how about using the sandbox settings for superhuman strength and all that, do the new zombies adhere to custom sandbox settings?

syfy2K4 on Twitch & Twitter

#8 ToastedFishSandwich

ToastedFishSandwich

"The Original Hot-Melt"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

I will test now!

They definitely do. That was completely terrifying. I killed a zombie with a kitchen knife, then when the new ones spawned they instantly started attacking me so I spammed the kitchen knife insta-kill attack which created a small horde in seconds. I'm not sure that playing this mod with running zombies would even be possible without finding a firearm in the starting house.

• unsaved_progress likes this

#9 unsaved_progress

unsaved_progress

Saving, please wait...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:17 AM

This is a terrifying and genius idea and I look forward to never downloading it. 

• LeoIvanov and 956Texas like this
You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

#10 anondogolador

anondogolador

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

I would totally download it if Zombies spawned in a random location, preferably somewhere really far away like the edge of the map. Then i would build a huge fortress and wait for the Metagame to lead on larger and larger hordes to my doorstep and see how long i can survive.

But having zombies spawn near you immediately is just not for me.

#11 ToastedFishSandwich

ToastedFishSandwich

"The Original Hot-Melt"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

I'll try to make a new version just for you then. It shouldn't be too hard.

It was surprisingly hard. I'll keep at it though.

• LeoIvanov and AliceCooper like this

#12 AliceCooper

AliceCooper

Bits for breakfast, Bytes for lunch, Servers for dinner.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Let us know if you find a way to spawn them a bit futher from the player (+ a small delay), this is really good ToastedFishSandwich!

• ToastedFishSandwich and cyristvirus like this

"Non omnia possumus omnes."

#13 ToastedFishSandwich

ToastedFishSandwich

"The Original Hot-Melt"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

I would totally download it if Zombies spawned in a random location, preferably somewhere really far away like the edge of the map. Then i would build a huge fortress and wait for the Metagame to lead on larger and larger hordes to my doorstep and see how long i can survive.

But having zombies spawn near you immediately is just not for me.

Quoting for visibility. Done! Unfortunately the way it works for now is rather hacky and might crash the game. I haven't tested it yet and I'm still working on a better way.

Ignore, I don't think that this will work. I am almost done with delaying the spawning though. Should I include that in the main download or offer it as an alternative? Delay is finished.

#14 Shivster

Shivster

Hidden From View

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

So i tried to kill a ton of zombies to exploit looting them. Well its really hard to loot when you have huge amounts of zombies just re poping in your face lol. Love the mod big thumbs up.

Would it be nice if they poped off screen but close yes. But this is still a great mod i like how you think :)

• ToastedFishSandwich likes this

I Put my mods on the forums here and at http://pz-mods.net/

#15 ToastedFishSandwich

ToastedFishSandwich

"The Original Hot-Melt"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

I made a special version just for you. It's actually really awesome because the transition from one zombie to twenty was more gradual so you don't realise that you're surrounded until it's too late. As with the other versions, this is for Build 25 and features fire permanently killing them and a short delay (I might shorten the delay even more in future versions of this branch though). As usual, please do leave feedback for me so I can improve the mod.

Download

#16 cyristvirus

cyristvirus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:34 AM

Something like this is really needed for mutiplayer. Zombies are killed off and new ones have to be added by admins. If there was a way to add them in groups or auto in random areas, that would really help out. Kill 2, 3 appear or something. Or after 30 killed 35 appear someplace. Anyways just an idea.

#17 ToastedFishSandwich

ToastedFishSandwich

"The Original Hot-Melt"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Once multiplayer modding is figured out I'll definitely be making a new version, if only because I would love to play this mod with my friends.

#18 cocoman11111

cocoman11111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

I absolutely LOVE this idea and I would like to try it, but is it updated for build 27? If not, could you try to update it?

#19 ToastedFishSandwich

ToastedFishSandwich

"The Original Hot-Melt"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

Which branch is that on Steam? It should work for all versions after multiplayer was integrated (and there's obviously the version for prior updates too). As far as I know (just double checking now) it It definitely works on the IWBUMS branch which I'm assuming is the most recent.

#20 ToastedFishSandwich

ToastedFishSandwich

"The Original Hot-Melt"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

New update. In the 'Full Package' version zombies spawn in a circular radius around the original, unless it died on fire, after a short (possibly too short) delay. Go ahead and try it out, I've tested all of the features I just mentioned and everything seems to work perfectly.

Remember that I'm always happy to create a custom version of the mod to alter things on requests (within reason).

Also, I'd love to see some Let's Plays of this mod so get on it guys.

Edit: Wow. So I just started a survival world with the mod because 'Why not?' and I was somewhat surprised to find that it's actually really fun. Because I know that every zombie I kill will spawn more I've just been sneaking around and, unlike in vanilla, I actually care about getting spotted because I can't just back off and kill the one zombie that spotted me. It's also really tense every time I have to go outside because of the three or four zombies which are loitering on my lawn.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Build 25, fun, instant hordes, zombie, duplication, duplicator, mod