Server Settings And You!

Masochist

I have not seen it posted anywhere before but I have seen many people ask how to alter server settings (such as time per day etc).

I don't know if it is just some unique issue me and my friends had or if its just how it works so feedback would be most appreciated.

For the server to work proper you need not only the IP but also to have the same "SandboxVar.lua" settings.

the lua file in question is located in:
Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\media\lua\shared\Sandbox

I came to this conclusion because with my friends I am running a server for we decided to change some settings (mostly to get time to slow down a bit). Unfortunetly when I set the time to pass slower using the PZserversettings.exe it only seemed to work for me as a player. Everyone else was passing time at the default time of 1 hour per day when I had set the settings to 3 hours per day.

Through a bit of deductive reasoning I was able to figure out that if people do not have the same SandboxVar settings then time (and presumably other options) will not work the same for each client.

With a bit of (limited) testing I was able to confirm that having settings matched we were able to have a server that ran at a much slower time than default without everyone have crazy time desynching issues.

Can anyone confirm this effect?

I have not seen it posted anywhere before but I have seen many people ask how to alter server settings (such as time per day etc).

I don't know if it is just some unique issue me and my friends had or if its just how it works so feedback would be most appreciated.

For the server to work proper you need not only the IP but also to have the same "SandboxVar.lua" settings.

the lua file in question is located in:

Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\media\lua\shared\Sandbox

I came to this conclusion because with my friends I am running a server for we decided to change some settings (mostly to get time to slow down a bit). Unfortunetly when I set the time to pass slower using the PZserversettings.exe it only seemed to work for me as a player. Everyone else was passing time at the default time of 1 hour per day when I had set the settings to 3 hours per day.

Through a bit of deductive reasoning I was able to figure out that if people do not have the same SandboxVar settings then time (and presumably other options) will not work the same for each client.

With a bit of (limited) testing I was able to confirm that having settings matched we were able to have a server that ran at a much slower time than default without everyone have crazy time desynching issues.

Can anyone confirm this effect?

Can't confirm this right now, but if need be I can later. It's not terribly surprising, people have talked about the fact that people have been experiencing different times among players. I think it's because the servers don't have the capacity to sync the files or lua alterations to the client as of yet (which is why there's no mods for multiplayer yet)

Nice find though. :)

Yeah from what I can tell...and I am likely TOTALLY wrong...but it seems like every player, upon entering, creates their own version of the world from their own SandboxVar.lua and the server simply sends them map and time updates upon entering the server and when other players do something...though time desync never does get corrected.

• 1 month later...

Do I have to change the settings before creating a new server or even with the server created can I change the settings and it will change in my online game?  or it has to be made prior to creating that new server and then give that file to my friend so they copy paste it?

Well if the server does not copy the files over, couldn't you technically install mods as long as all the players install the same files that is if your playing with a small select group of people?

It all depends on what the mod does I suppose. Stuff that would alter the world in a randomised way for example probably wouldn't work, as it's output or changes to the map would not be consistent to all players.