Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Multiplayer Open Test - DETAILS INSIDE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
404 replies to this topic

#1 lemmy101

lemmy101

Co-Founder, Developer

• PZ Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

Moderator Warning

THIS BUILD IS WAAAAY OUTDATED.

PLEASE CHECK HERE FOR HOW TO GET THE LATEST TEST BUILD:

http://theindiestone...my-save-branch/

EDIT: Am adding a note to say here that our last few days of testing have gone remarkably well, and we're comfortable saying that, bugs aside, Zomboid seems to be shaping up as an enjoyable and stable MP. Although it's not ready for the main branch, and there are still issues present, it seems time to admit we have multiplayer in this game. Weee! Thanks for your support everyone We have another patch incoming but want to give it a good test and don't want to risk destabilizing what is, for most people, pretty stable MP..

Then NPCs next!

OS X users can currently only play on OS X hosted servers. This will be fixed with the next update. Sorry guys! -Rathlord

TL;DR to play Zomboid online:

Awesome vid here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i8nIk6SlkNM

Hello Zomboiders!

Yes, we're finally biting the bullet and throwing the PZ multiplayer onto a separate branch on Steam. 

A few bugs aside, MP is starting to feel really solid and there's plenty of fun to be had. We are sure there are various issues, both discovered and undiscovered, that need resolving in the near future, but are feeling its in a stable enough state where people could have a play. However, we would like people to be mindful of the following point:

It's not finished!

This is not an official public release, or even a Steam beta release. There will be bugs. If you would like a stable multiplayer server with no chance of world corruption destroying your stuff, or potential bugs that could affect your enjoyment of the game, then please wait until the official release which should hopefully not be too long.

This version of the game is multiplayer only. Since this build has so far incomplete new zombie spawning systems etc, single player is a little broken so has been disabled for now. If you want to play single player, you'll need to switch to another branch on Steam.

Several intended features are currently missing, such as a 'safety mode' for PvP to avoid accidental friendly fire (though PvP has a enable / disable option in the server config txt) so be careful with those axes!

Server defaults to open, but a whitelist can be set up to restrict access. Shouldn't be required any time soon if your IP is guarded sufficiently. The server whitelist is currently maintained using an SQL database, using a free to download app to manage it. It's pretty easy to use, but slightly more fiddly than editing a text file with usernames would be. You can find information on how to add people to your whitelist in the instructions thread at the end of this post. In future we will provide a nicer method for doing this.

Currently everyone spawns at Kate and Bob's house in Muldraugh, there's no character creation, zombie migration/repopulation is not in yet, but it is coming.

You may end up having to restart the server once in a while to clean out the cobwebs, and its completely possible you may feel the need to do a world reset from time to time. We're working toward a sustainable system where server worlds could run indefinitely, but that time is not now.

If you choose to be involved in the multiplayer testing, then please be understanding of any issues that crop up, and help us solve them with clear detailed information on the forums.

If you're posting this anyway, please direct people here. Do not just post the steam beta info elsewhere and let people start playing unaware of the issues and the status of this version.

And most importantly of all: Stay safe, stay out of the cities!

There are no public servers. if you want to play you'll need to join someone else's server (getting added to the whitelist) or create your own. This process isn't as simple as we ultimately plan it to be but not too much of a chore. 

There will be cheating

Particularly this first version, given the mod capabilities of the game there will be cheaters out there. Publicly open servers beware. If you give your IP out to people you do so at your own risk, and should look into a whitelist as soon as you have a solid set of people for your server.

Getting the online branch.

Go into Steam, right click Project Zomboid, then go into Properties. In there, click the BETA tab, and in the dropdown select the 'onlinetest' branch. After closing the properties dialog PZ should download to the multiplayer branch.

Server options

After launching a server for the first time, you'll have a bunch of options in your C:\Users\<Username>\Zomboid\Server\serverOptions.ini for enabling / disabling PVP, or closing your server to people with valid user/passwords. It defaults to open so people should be able to join your server with any user/pass by default (as of hotfix since this edit was made - so validate your steam version if reading this afterward). Changes will only take effect after relaunching server. If you're careful who gets the IP address then you could get away with never having a whitelist if you so choose.

Creating a whitelist

If you would like a private server where people need a valid user/pass to join.

As stated, this is a bit more of a mess on than it will be down the line, but once you're set up its pretty easy to manage.

The server will look in your zomboid data folder (where saves are stored) for a database file with username / passwords to authorize people trying to connect to your server.

Here is an empty database you can use: https://dl.dropboxus...553835/world.db

Put that in the following folder (or your platform's equivalent):
C:\Users\<Username>\Zomboid\db

You need to create the db directory yourself.

Next, download this. It's for editing file based sql databases.

http://sqliteadmin.orbmu2k.de/

Open SQLite Admin, and open your world.db in it.

Go into Tables, click whitelist, expand it out and click a random field (say id)

Then click the Edit Data tab, and you can put data in. All you need to do to add a user is click the + icon, and then (in order) put servertest into the 'world' column, then add a username and password into their respective columns. Close the database once you've made your changes and it'll auto save. Note you can only edit the database when the server is down. Again we'll make it so you can maintain a whitelist while the server is running in the near future.

Done.

Running a server:

In the game directory there should be a batch called ProjectZomboidServer.bat (windows) or a shell called projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh (linux). Run that. You may want / need to tweak them to allow less or more memory to be allocated to the server depending on player counts, but the default should work fine for most. We'll provide mac instructions once we've nailed it down, however mac users can connect to windows/linux servers no problem. If you envision lots of players it would be a good idea to tweak the memory usage to 4gig or as much as you can spare, as that's likely the major deciding factor of player counts.

The server uses the port 16261 for communications, and each player has a download port for getting the map data from the server, starting at 16261. You will need to open a port per player, so for a 32 player server open/forward 16261 - 16293. Instructions for forwarding ports etc can be found all over the place, and will usually involve going onto your router. So google your router  along with 'port forwarding' if you're unsure, or ask a friend. Setting your internal IP (192.168..... obtainable by 'ipconfig' in a command prompt) to the DMZ on your router is a shortcut to doing all this, and will probably be the easiest option, but you'll then be lacking your router's firewall so that's up to you.

Now it's just a case of providing the IP to those with access, who can add the server in the JOIN SERVER dialog in-game. Find your IP here: http://whatismyipaddress.com/

For detailed linux instructions, read Connall's guide here: http://theindiestone...zomboid-server/

And for more details on renting/buying servers, check here: http://theindiestone...zomboid-server/

Reporting a server error

If you get broken chunks, or other calamities occur with the server, zip up the directory: C:\Users\<Username>\Zomboid\servertest\ and get it to us along with a description of the problem, and hopefully we'll get it resolved asap.

Videos / Streams permitted but please make sure there aren't problems running it before doing so? :P

Common Fixes

If you have errors loading the game like this:

Spoiler

Install this on 64bit systems: http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=14632
Or this on 32bit systems: http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5555

If you're getting connection issues, then it's almost certainly either incorrect IP info or an unknown firewall or something installed on your machine. Avast and other virus software may also act as a firewall without your knowledge. So either add a rule to allow zomboid, or disable them, but obviously the latter is not recommended unless you also have windows firewall or similar and the avast firewall is undesired.

LeoIvanov:

For those getting stuck on loading screen with "Delay processing packet of type 12(or 56 or 78) while loading game" message - just keep waiting until you either join or the game crashes. If the game crashes - grab the log and post it here for devs to debug the issue.

Enjoy!

• Dr_Cox1911, datkid, Marinus and 15 others like this

#2 lemmy101

lemmy101

Co-Founder, Developer

• PZ Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

:|

• G48R13L likes this

#3 Psymong

Psymong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

how did i miss this post?!
i will gather some friends and test my tits off tonight!

Also: Hooray!

• umoito and Doominater like this

#4 Aricane

Aricane

Eater of the Stone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

He wrote it a couple of days ago, was probably hidden ^^

#5 Walter Sullivan

Walter Sullivan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Awesome! Gonna test asap  (clyde)  (clyde)  (clyde)

• Red Storm 58 likes this

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" - The Dark Tower

#6 lvdota

lvdota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Awesome!! ... thanks  :cry:

#7 Aricane

Aricane

Eater of the Stone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

This is going to be wild

• umoito and Red Storm 58 like this

#8 nasKo

nasKo

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2388 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Hooraaay!

TT

#9 Dr Gonzo

Dr Gonzo

Three-Fingered Lemon Wedge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

It's out! Now, let me dust off my trusty old frying pan (Sorry again Flachzang) and find a server :D

A.K.A. Gonzo Macky - Steam Community Moderator
A.K.A. Half of the (equally handsome and talented) GonzoEwok YouTube gaming channel

#10 harakka

harakka

Technical Support Advisor, Third Order

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1733 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

If someone puts up a "large crowd" server, it might be a good idea to mention its existence here and take PMs for applying to whitelist.

• Dr Gonzo, Armeretta, rorschach and 1 other like this
A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

#11 Flachzang

Flachzang

"I thought I knew you/What did I know?"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

It's out! Now, let me dust off my trusty old frying pan (Sorry again Flachzang) and find a server :D

It's probably a good opportunity to forget what happened and to make a fresh start, shall we? :P

• Dr Gonzo, rorschach and Red Storm 58 like this

Secret half-time ninja turtle superhero.

#12 Dr Gonzo

Dr Gonzo

Three-Fingered Lemon Wedge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

It's probably a good opportunity to forget what happened and to make a fresh start, shall we? :P

Couldn't agree more my man. Will not mention it again and strive to be lovely server-side if and when we meet again <3

• Flachzang and Red Storm 58 like this

A.K.A. Gonzo Macky - Steam Community Moderator
A.K.A. Half of the (equally handsome and talented) GonzoEwok YouTube gaming channel

#13 The_Jope

The_Jope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

HORRAY! Now to convince all of my friends to buy PZ...

• umoito, Red Storm 58 and Doominater like this

#14 Armeretta

Armeretta

Superior Specimen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Is anyone else making a server that they intend to let random people on? If so I won't go through the trouble.

• MadDan2013, rorschach and Red Storm 58 like this
"This is all on top of some, frankly awesome, stuff Lemmy has been working on for a while, that we’re going to be tight-lipped on until we’re good and ready to show it off. (The mystery!)" - Please be NPCs!!!

#15 rorschach

rorschach

"Alright, one more down and this time to the right."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

Is anyone else making a server that they intend to let random people on? If so I won't go through the trouble.

Who knows? Why don't you make yours and see how many people ask you to let them join?

I'll put my name down! :)

"If you build it, they will come"!

• Armeretta and Red Storm 58 like this

"I've said this before, but trusting YouTube videos about suppressors is roughly akin to believing that a Nigerian prince needs you to wire them $ 2,000." - Rathlord

#16 Sporange

Sporange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

Rally up the friends it's here! ^-^

#17 vesainen

vesainen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

Anyone else having problems connecting to your own server? I can't connect.

#18 RobertJohnson

RobertJohnson

French Developer

• PZ Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

Just do a 127.0.0.1 as IP to join your own server.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix.

@rj_pz

#19 kirrus

kirrus

Wizard of Esoteric Networking Magicks

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

Linux people! Here's a basic rough guide on getting a server running on a VM. To follow it, I expect you know the basics of running around a terminal program, and what your user home directory is. A better guide'll probably follow later

You need to have at least openjdk-7. On debian, you need wheezy, and you'll also need to grab glibc libraries from sid, for the network toolset. Wheezy by default has libc6 2.12, and you need at least 2.15. There's a script to install the sid versions here, use at your own risk: http://kirrus.co.uk/...zy-glibc-sid.sh.

Download and uncompress steam_cmd, from here: http://media.steampo...md_linux.tar.gz and then run:

/home/path/to/steamcmd.sh +login steam_username steam_password +force_install_dir /dir/to/put/zomboid/in/ +app_update 108600 -beta onlinetest validate +exit

You'll also need to have a 'Zomboid' folder, in whatever user home folder you run it in, and that's where you drop a 'db' folder, with the world.db, containing your user/pass sqlite database, as described in the first post, for a user-restricted server. Make sure you change the two /path/tos above, and put your steam username/pass in.

It the 'projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh' script doesn't show up in your install_dir at first, keep running the script until it does. Steam can be a little odd with picking it up correctly. If it *still* doesn't work, run the steamcmd;

/home/path/to/steamcmd.sh

Then each individual "+" command, one by one - so

login steam_username steam_password
force_install_dir /dir/to/put/zomboid/in/

Once done, edit the projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh script's ram values (-Xms4096m, -Xmx4096m) to fit your VM, and then run the script. That should launch a server, till you see "*** SERVER STARTED ****".

• turbotutone, Red Storm 58 and Bartender like this

[9:14:10 PM] Rathlord: DOUBLE HOOKS

#20 vesainen

vesainen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

Alright, managed to join my own server using 127.0.0.1 as my IP but my brother can't connect to my server using my public IP.