2560x1440 NPE Crash

PhantomGamers

Question

Hey guys, I just wanted to report an issue.

If I select the resolution 2560x1440 in the menu, both in fullscreen and windowed mode, I immediately crash with a NullPointerException error. I can launch the game in fullscreen+2560x1440 if I launch it in safemode but being that safemode disables the zooming functionality this workaround is less than ideal.

I'm currently running the latest build 23 but I had this issue in 21 as well.

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the bug report section as I'm not completely sure whether this is an issue with the game or my configuration.

The error:

Feb 06, 2014 4:26:46 PM zombie.GameWindow runSEVERE: nulljava.lang.NullPointerException        at zombie.IndieGL.glBind(IndieGL.java:262)        at zombie.core.textures.MultiTextureFBO.render(MultiTextureFBO.java:436)        at zombie.core.Core.StartFrameUI(Core.java:2110)        at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.render(MainScreenState.java:540)        at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.render(GameStateMachine.java:37)        at zombie.GameWindow.render(GameWindow.java:695)        at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1148)        at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:974)        at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:142)        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)        at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)        at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

My specs:

CPU - Intel Core i7 2600k

GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7950

Driver - AMD Catalyst 14.1 (using 13.30 beta OpenGL driver though)

RAM - 16GB

OS - Windows 8.1 x64

12 answers to this question

When zoomed out all the way, the game is rendering at 150% the game window size.  So at 2560x1440 the game is rendering at 3840x2160 when zoomed out.  You might be running out of graphics memory or something.

Perhaps we should change it so if you are playing at 1920x1080 or higher you can't zoom out but can zoom in.

When zoomed out all the way, the game is rendering at 150% the game window size.  So at 2560x1440 the game is rendering at 3840x2160 when zoomed out.  You might be running out of graphics memory or something.

Perhaps we should change it so if you are playing at 1920x1080 or higher you can't zoom out but can zoom in.

Hm, I don't think that's it because it works in Safemode where it's zoomed out entirely by default (or is it not? It seems pretty small).

Also the 7950 has 3GB of vram but I suppose 3840x2160 is still quite a lot even for that...

With safemode you're always at 100% zoom.

Ah okay, I see.

I should mention though that the crash happens at the main menu, as soon as I select the resolution... I'm not so knowledgable with the workings of OGL but is everything loaded into the vram even at that point?

I suppose I'll need to try and find a way to monitor my vram usage while launching the game to confirm this being the issue.

EDIT: Looking at GPU-Z my vram usage seems to top out at 300MB when initially launching the game, I'm unsure if it would crash because it's hitting the limit or detecting that it doesn't have enough to even initialize?

It might just be that the graphics driver is unable to create such a large texture for drawing the game, due to its dimensions and not the amount of VRAM it is using.

Ah that might very well be it then. In that case I would very much appreciate if you would add the ability to zoom in while in safemode in a future build! Or maybe a way to restrict zoom in regular mode via the options? (fedora)

But if it helps, I found another exception in console.txt, which seems to be related though I'm unsure if this specific part caused the crash:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Number of remaining buffer elements is 33554432, must be at least 67108864. Because at most 67108864 elements can be returned, a buffer with at least 67108864 elements is required, regardless of actual returned element count    at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.throwBufferSizeException(BufferChecks.java:162)    at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.checkBufferSize(BufferChecks.java:189)    at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.checkBuffer(BufferChecks.java:230)    at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.glTexImage2D(GL11.java:2845)    at zombie.core.textures.TextureID.generateHwId(TextureID.java:463)    at zombie.core.textures.TextureID.createTexture(TextureID.java:424)    at zombie.core.textures.TextureID.<init>(TextureID.java:84)    at zombie.core.textures.Texture.<init>(Texture.java:234)    at zombie.core.textures.MultiTextureFBO.createTexture(MultiTextureFBO.java:369)    at zombie.core.textures.MultiTextureFBO.create(MultiTextureFBO.java:168)    at zombie.core.Core.setupMultiFBO(Core.java:1640)    at zombie.core.Core.supportsFBO(Core.java:419)    at zombie.core.Core.sharedInit(Core.java:445)    at zombie.core.Core.init(Core.java:1629)    at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:914)    at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:142)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)    at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)    at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)Failed to create FBO w:3840.0 h:2134.5

Oh interesting.  A quick glance at the code seems to suggest 2048 * 2048 is the largest supported size.

Edit: Actually the texture size is rounded up to the nearest power of 2, so at 150% zoom the required texture size is 4096 * 4096.

4096 * 4096 * 4 == 67108864

that's the number in the error you posted

Archived