Search-able Washing Machine and Dryer

13thGeneral

First off, before I go any further with suggesting anything here about them, are the Washer and Dryer planned to be search-able in the future? Also, will they be functional so long as the power is on?

I would assume so, at least, as it makes sense (why include them at all, except for realism?) and would be no different, or difficult, to implement as searching an Oven or Cabinet. The same goes for using them, much like an oven; turn on, time passes, done washing/drying.

The obvious question would then be, “What would be found inside either place?”. And, of course, the obvious answer would be, well, clothing; e.g. socks, sweaters, blouse, vests, pants, skirts towels, sheets, etc. And there is a chance that the cloth items in either one could be wet, perhaps because they had not yet turned on the machines when the world went to hell;

• If they are in the washer, there is a possibility chance – say 70% wet, 30% dry – that they will be damp/wet already.
  • Things in the washer would, most likely be dry, but still a chance they are not – perhaps 10% wet, 90% dry.

However, a new question becomes, what non-obvious items could be found in there but still make sense? Well, some things may still be washed that are not clothes – such as hiking bags, pillows, shoes, etc. - are possibilities. There are also things that might be left in pockets - like lighters, pens, pencils, band-aids, pills, tissues, cigarettes, and so one. Even the random, currently useless junk – rings, lipstick, wallet, blah-blah - could likely be found in there. You get the idea.

Really, the possibilities are just as random, varied, and as likely as finding stuff in any other place, within reasonable realms of “realism”.

I am just wondering if this is planned, since I could find nothing about it in my search through the forums, in the "Commonly Suggested" topic, or online. If you know where it's mentioned, please post a link; I don't like suggesting stuff unnecessarily.

Thanks.

This is, if at all a beta phase idea. I don't think people forget/store stuff in their washer or dryer that much, so it would be a small realism tweak which is very unlikely to happen in game. Therefore not necessarily worth the dev time... You should check out the comments on this suggestion regarding stuff found in ovens. It's a very similar topic and many of the same arguments could be used in this one too.

This is, if at all a beta phase idea. I don't think people forget/store stuff in their washer or dryer that much, so it would be a small realism tweak which is very unlikely to happen in game. Therefore not necessarily worth the dev time... You should check out the comments on this suggestion regarding stuff found in ovens. It's a very similar topic and many of the same arguments could be used in this one too.

Ah, I see. Well, it's not something I thought would be high on the priority list anyhow; just a pondering about the in-game purpose of including them without a use (other than realism ambiance).

Well thanks for linking me to that thread.

However, a new question becomes, what non-obvious items could be found in there but still make sense? Well, some things may still be washed that are not clothes – such as hiking bags, pillows, shoes, etc. - are possibilities. There are also things that might be left in pockets - like lighters, pens, pencils, band-aids, pills, tissues, cigarettes, and so one. Even the random, currently useless junk – rings, lipstick, wallet, blah-blah - could likely be found in there. 

We could find lint which could be used to start fires.

I don't think people forget/store stuff in their washer or dryer that much, so it would be a small realism tweak which is very unlikely to happen in game. 

Do you not think there wouldn't be clothes left in a washer/dryer if a zombie apocalypse broke out.   

There's always the possibility that the washing machine, full of damp clothes, has been left that way for several weeks, even months before you rock up to have a peek.

Mold. Smell. Such a smell. :P

As for looting the laundromats... Perhaps adding some snack/detergent vending machines, and a 'lost-and-found' box might be a good idea? It stands to reason people would leave personal items in their clothes, on the bench, or in the machine all the time. Could be a good source of misc loot like lighters, keys, and wallets.

However, a new question becomes, what non-obvious items could be found in there but still make sense? Well, some things may still be washed that are not clothes – such as hiking bags, pillows, shoes, etc. - are possibilities. There are also things that might be left in pockets - like lighters, pens, pencils, band-aids, pills, tissues, cigarettes, and so one. Even the random, currently useless junk – rings, lipstick, wallet, blah-blah - could likely be found in there. 

I don't think people forget/store stuff in their washer or dryer that much, so it would be a small realism tweak which is very unlikely to happen in game. 

Do you not think there wouldn't be clothes left in a washer/dryer if a zombie apocalypse broke out.   

As I said I don't think there would be that much stuff in the washers or dryers to make a substantial impact to gameplay. I didn't say that there wouldn't be anything in them. Very little, not much.

As I said I don't think there would be that much stuff in the washers or dryers to make a substantial impact to gameplay. I didn't say that there wouldn't be anything in them. Very little, not much.

Soggy bank note, a couple of coins and a sock. There's always one sock but never another. Quite the haulage. :P

I actually meant to suggest that in my post, but forgot. Glad I'm not the only one to think that'd be useful.

While on the topic of fire....

How to waterproof matches: 

1. Drip melted wax onto their tips

2. Scrape wax off with fingernail

3. Don't set the dog alight

4.Start fire

5.Roast marshmallows.

For real? I mean does this actually work? Never knew that. :o

4.Start fire

5.Roast marshmallows.

I've read this myself in multiple survival handbooks, so it must be true :D

If you think about it, all you're doing is keeping water off the dry chemical head of the match. The wooden part is pre-waxed already. Stops it from burning too quickly

4.Start fire

5.Roast marshmallows.

I've read this myself in multiple survival handbooks, so it must be true :D

If you think about it, all you're doing is keeping water off the dry chemical head of the match. The wooden part is pre-waxed already. Stops it from burning too quickly

If you wrap strike-anywhere matches in a little bit of tissue paper and lint or cotton, before dipping them in wax [paraffin works best], they're not only waterproof but you can also use them as candles or long buring firestarters.

http://practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/ubermatch.html