RELEASED: Build 34.10 - Food Tracker Build

RobertJohnson

Hey ChatNoir, thanks a lot for the awesome feedback.

So yeah, I don't know yet if there's a bug here, but your numbers looks weird in fact, getting even more well fed but losing tons of calories... Gonna check those stir fry thingy to be sure there's not a problem somewhere, if not, then I'll have to change calcul again...

What's weird tho, is even during your electricity days, you still lost weight.. As I saw in some Stream, people were able to gain weight, even went to 90kg after a month... So I'm quite lost there, you say you ate chips and stuff and that's high calories, so that should be ok...

To be sure, I'll check all this things again, but I'm gonna re-add the calories shown in the character screen so it'll be easier for player to tracks bugs...

Hey ChatNoir, thanks a lot for the awesome feedback.

So yeah, I don't know yet if there's a bug here, but your numbers looks weird in fact, getting even more well fed but losing tons of calories... Gonna check those stir fry thingy to be sure there's not a problem somewhere, if not, then I'll have to change calcul again...

What's weird tho, is even during your electricity days, you still lost weight.. As I saw in some Stream, people were able to gain weight, even went to 90kg after a month... So I'm quite lost there, you say you ate chips and stuff and that's high calories, so that should be ok...

To be sure, I'll check all this things again, but I'm gonna re-add the calories shown in the character screen so it'll be easier for player to tracks bugs...

Actually I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Although I ate high caloric food I would have expected a weight loss during the first month. I did not find the time to eat that regularly and was experiencing hunger from time to time. But after the first month of survival with a running farm and a lot of food I would have expected the weight loss to stop. But it even got worse.

Does anybody else have tried to survive on a stir fry diet yet?

IMHO The nutritionist perk is not worth it as a 4 point perk. Most of the food has labels and it's just not worth the confirmation that vegetables and meat are full of nutrients. Compared to the other perks of that worth it provides there are just better things you can take at even the 2 point level.

Today I had an idea while stumbling today on an old topic about a mod adding food expiration date - I never tested it and screenshots seem to be dead now, but judging by the description it required a perk to work, and I instantly thought, how about adding a written expiration date to packaged food, and adding ability to nutritionist to properly judge (and then see) the expiration date (i.e. time remaining to rot) on food? That would certainly gave the perk more use.

Also, in the current build seems that you can take the nutritionist perk 2nd time if you choose Fitness Instruction.

Update 9!

• Fixed some items typo
I never mentioned that, but if you meant any of the typos about the food from the .txt files, for example from the ones I posted, I didn't notice any changes in file or in-game, so either the fixes were forgotten to get implemented in the version that went "live" or there was some typo in lua files, which I haven't check :) (but yet again all the item names in-game seem unchanged).

So I assume there are most likely bugs in the nutrition values of evolved recipes made out of vegetables you growed yourself.

I never stumbeld to browse the added code in lua files, but for some reason that seems very possible to me, as the stir fry is one of the evolved recipes in items.txt that lacks any nutritional values. That could explain lack of inherited values in fish fillets, too.

It's worth noting that PastaPan, PastaPot, RicePan, RicePot as well as CakeSlice and Pie items (the latter two cover a spawned item but also evolved recipe's cake and pie when sliced) do have some nutritional values filled in.

Experation dates for packaged foods would be a nice touch. Might be nice to give the chef / high cooking skill class the ability to "guess" the experiation of non-packaged ingredients, as well.

The difference between the stirfry and the other items is that the other items inherently included a fixed item. Stirfires can be any vegetable or meat. It's probably meant to derive its nutritional values from the items used in it.

As EG said, basically Pasta is made from 10 hunger reduction of pasta, which is I think 20% of the pasta package, so I take 20% of the nutrition values and put it in the pasta pan, and the evolve recipes is made from this, so I need nutrition value on the base item.

So when I add tomato in my pasta pan I do tomato nutrition + the pasta pan nutrition.

For stir fry it's made of a classic pan, which don't have any nutrition value, so the stir fry will be made from pan nutrition (0) + anything you put in nutrition.

So it's normal to not have nutrition on some evolved recipes :D

I also tried the new spiffoburger IWBUS but when i start a new game and survive for some minuts the display gets dark and it brings me back  to the main menu...

Check if you have some mods and disable them all temporarily - otherwise, no idea if it was working for you before, works just fine here, throughout the version switches, branches switches (main and nutrition) and even with a simple mod I made.

On topic though, as we are cleaning up the item names, I think those two could be changed to fit the others:

• item WaterMug: A Mug of Water -> Mug of Water
  • item FullKettle: A Full Kettle -> Kettle of Water

So when I add tomato in my pasta pan I do tomato nutrition + the pasta pan nutrition.

For stir fry it's made of a classic pan, which don't have any nutrition value, so the stir fry will be made from pan nutrition (0) + anything you put in nutrition.

Yup, all make sense actually :). I think it just might be worth to double check if inheriting all the new nutritional values works properly in evolved and regular recipes (remember there's bowls made from evolved recipes) - may be a bad guess, but that got me to thinking based on some of the reports so far.

BTW, would it be possible to merge the remaining spawned items and regular recipes with evolved recipes, the same way as SoupBowl, CakeSlice and Pie are for the sake of clarity (and possibly easier mainteneance/mods in the future)? Currently there are two instances of Burgers (Burger and BurgerRecipe) and Pot of Soup (PotOfSoup and PotOfSoupRecipe)

EDIT: It's not anywhere high in the priority though, as it's working as intended, but I am curious if it's possible at all, or is there something forcing the recipes to be separate.

Edited by Faalagorn

Build 34.9 Feedback.

Selecting Fitness trainer gives nutritionist but doesn't remove nutritionist from the trait list.  If you select nutritionist trait you have two nutritionist traits in the list both at +4 that you can both remove.   You can then unselect Fitness trainer and select it again and get 3 nutritionist traits, etc...

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to report a bug : I found a nice sheltered house and a generator, so I wanted to move some more fridges inside to freeze lots of food. So I went to some other houses to pickup fridges and install them back at my place. Problem : They no longer have a freezer compartment, just the regular fridge. Also when I went back to the place I took the fridge from, there was now an invisible freezer, alone without its fridge :D

Nothing else to report yet, except that I love this game more and more after each patch. Keep up the amazing work guys !

Edited by EvaN

14 hours ago, EvaN said:

So I went to some other houses to pickup fridges and install them back at my place. Problem : They no longer have a freezer compartment, just the regular fridge. Also when I went back to the place I took the fridge from, there was now an invisible freezer, alone without its fridge :D

The same happened to me when moving a small fridge (the one without the need of having electrical skill), however I wasn't having electricity by then so I thought that may be reason (seems not :P) I didn't look at the place the original freezer was, however.

Fish do not give enough calories.    Right now a big fish only gives 30% more calories than a medium fish.  In all cases, you are only getting the equivalent of roughly 100 grams of fish (130 grams for big fish) instead of the nutrition value being based on the fish actual weight.   

You may want to consider using the weight of the fish and multiply a base caloric value against the weight instead of simply using size categories.

This will make fish more nutritional so to balance it you can make it harder to catch them (especially with wooden Lance).   <-- I am doing that in my mod, making fishing line, real rod, live bait and higher fishing skill all more meaningful.

Also in the function ISFishingAction:brokeLine(fish) you need to change the "Little" value to "Small" since there is no "Little" categories only "Small" and right now a "Small" fish will cause the same break chance as a "Large" fish.

I am almost done testing my Fishing mod and will try to publish it later today.

When you catch a big fish you can slice the filet multiple time.  Each time you slice it, each filet has the full nutritional value of the original filet.  Hunger and weight is redistributed properly but not calories.

Edited by vanorfeadiel

On 29/2/2016 at 5:53 AM, vanorfeadiel said:

Build 34.9 Feedback.

Selecting Fitness trainer gives nutritionist but doesn't remove nutritionist from the trait list.  If you select nutritionist trait you have two nutritionist traits in the list both at +4 that you can both remove.   You can then unselect Fitness trainer and select it again and get 3 nutritionist traits, etc...

that sounds like unlimited trait point :P

From what I can see home made meals have a high hunger reduction value but low calories (e.g., stir fry with 6 ingredients about 80+ hunger reduction and about 240 calories). The maximum calories are limited cause you can add only 6 ingredients and there are only a few with higher calories like rabbit meat that can be gained by foraging, farming, trapping and fishing (but I didn't test fishing yet). However, the ratio of calories per hunger reduction is 4:1 and quite low compared to the ratio of chips with 48:1 or cereals with 59:1. So eating home made meals based on food that has been gathered by foraging, farming, trapping and fishing keeps you well fed for a long time which prevents you from eating more but doesn't supply you with enough calories to keep your weight. This could possibly be fixed by adding either more ingredients to the evolved recipes, having higher nutrition values for these kind of foods or reducing the amount of hunger reduction. At the moment this mechanic gives the player a wrong information about his physical state. Hunger is deep green but you are lacking calories all the time (I'm still not sure if I really get all the calories in one stir fry in my last playthroughs cause although I ate more and more the average calories decreased over time).

Concerning weight loss there might be a mechanic missing in the calculation. There is a certain energy level your body need to function properly and it can be gained by 2 ways. Either by getting the energy from food (calories are just a measure for the energy your body will gain out of the food) or by using the energy stored in your body's fat cells (loosing weight). I assume that the amount of energy you get from weight loss is not taken into account when calculating the amount of calories needed per day cause energy and calories seem to be mixed up here.

Edit: In short if I am loosing weight I don't need that much calories by food.

Edit2: 1 gram of body fat delivers approximately 9 kcalories.

Edited by ChatNoir

Actually:  So in function CutFillet_OnCreate(items, result, player) in recipecode.lua deviding the fillet by half will address the above problem.   Doing it on the result results in only the new fillet having half the calories and the original keeping all the calories.   Doing it on the fillet causes the original fillet to get half the value and new fillet to have half the value. 

Spoiler

fillet:setBaseHunger(hunger * 0.5);
        fillet:setHungChange(fillet:getBaseHunger());
        fillet:setActualWeight(fillet:getActualWeight() * 0.5);
        fillet:setCarbohydrates(fillet:getCarbohydrates() / 2);
        fillet:setLipids(fillet:getLipids() / 2);
        fillet:setProteins(fillet:getProteins() / 2);
        fillet:setCalories(fillet:getCalories() / 2);

result:setBaseHunger(fillet:getBaseHunger());
        result:setHungChange(fillet:getBaseHunger());
        result:setActualWeight(fillet:getActualWeight());
        result:setCustomWeight(true);
        result:setCarbohydrates(fillet:getCarbohydrates());
        result:setLipids(fillet:getLipids());
        result:setProteins(fillet:getProteins());
        result:setCalories(fillet:getCalories());

Edited by vanorfeadiel

Found what I think might be another bug :

When making burgers, each added ingredient increases the boredom/unhapiness instead of reducing it. Spices increase it too. Well... That'll be sandwiches only from now on :P

@RobertJohnson Thank you for the update, but I still got the feeling some of the typos that were supposed to get fixed changed earlier didn't get through :P. They were supposed to get fixed in 34.9 and by the time at 34.10 they don't seem to be included.

On 2/24/2016 at 10:46 AM, RobertJohnson said:

Update 9!

• Fixed some items typo

On 2/28/2016 at 2:40 AM, Faalagorn said:

I never mentioned that, but if you meant any of the typos about the food from the .txt files, for example from the ones I posted, I didn't notice any changes in file or in-game, so either the fixes were forgotten to get implemented in the version that went "live" or there was some typo in lua files, which I haven't check :) (but yet again all the item names in-game seem unchanged).

On 2/21/2016 at 7:10 PM, Faalagorn said:

Let me add a bit of more mostly naming fixes, possibly for the upcoming updates:

• Also some naming fixes, I'm going to add extra explanation for those I reported earlier but remain unchanged, if there aren't plan for changes though, just let me know :)
    • item BakingTrayBread: Baking Tray With Bread -> Baking Tray with Bread
    • item WaterSaucepan: Saucepan with Water -> Saucepan of Water (to match the other liquid container names)
    • item Crappie: Crappie Fish -> Crappie (last time I accidentially wrote "Corndog", fail copypasta >.>)
    • item TunaTin: Tuna -> Canned Tuna (it's one of the old items, similar to other "Tin" items (TinOpener, TinnedBeans, TinnedSoupOpen, TinnedSoup), all of which got their name changed somewhere down the road. Also, Can is more of American spelling, while Tin is British, most likely that's why it was changed)
    • item TunaTinOpen: Open Tin of Tuna -> Open Canned Tuna (same reasoning as above)
    • item Candycane: Candycane -> Candy Cane (unless for some reason Candycane and Icecream want to be written as such, I think the name with a space is a proper/more common spelling of these)
    • item Icecream: Icecream -> Ice Cream (same reasoning as above)
    • item IcecreamMelted: Melted Icecream -> Melted Ice Cream (same reasoning as above)
    • Also, as a bonus, since the names are getting fixed, Light Bulbs:
      • item LightBulb: LightBulb -> Light Bulb
      • item LightBulbRed: Red LightBulb -> Red Light Bulb
      • item LightBulbGreen: Blue LightBulb -> Blue Light Bulb
      • item LightBulbYellow: Yellow LightBulb -> Yellow Light Bulb
      • item LightBulbCyan: Cyan LightBulb -> Cyan Light Bulb
      • item LightBulbMagenta: Magenta LightBulb -> Magenta Light Bulb
      • item LightBulbOrange: Orange LightBulb -> Orange Light Bulb
      • item LightBulbPurple: Purple LightBulb -> Purple Light Bulb
      • item LightBulbPink: Pink LightBulb -> Pink Light Bulb

Also, after discovering SuburbsDistributions.lua file I can also confirm that Grilled Cheese Sandwich is currently not in any recipes or spawn lists, making it most likely obsolete the same way as Casserole or other old cooking items.

Also, the recipes to make 2/4 bowls of Pasta/Rice could probably either be combined with Pot and Saucepan version or made slightly different (for example making bowls from saucepan being faster, which would give Saucepan a tiny bit more usefulness over Pot for Pasta/Rice)

Edited by Faalagorn

With the new build, the white variant of the big fridge still does not have a freezer. Only the black one got one with the 2nd last patch. They are both the same fridge, just different color variants.

I also got this very major bug, with the lighting screwing up and some of the walls not loading for collision. I was able to run through the seahorse coffee without going through the door...

C71C61A916C5A511EA673E5C3D913E8B8C1D36CC

Edited by Kim Jong Un

On 3/3/2016 at 10:01 AM, RobertJohnson said:

Update 10!

• Made nutrition bit easier
  • Fixed fishing bug
  • Fishes/berries/mushroom have bit more calories
  • Cutting a fish now directly give 2 fillets
  • Fixed nutritionist trait/fitness instructor bug
  • Fixed some typos
  • Give more calories to evolved recipes according to your cooking lvl

Does this mean you can only fillet a fish once now? If so, that will remove the need to fillet some fish dozens of times to max out your cooking XP gain. If this is indeed correct, this is a much appreciated change, and I may even feel like I have time to properly cook meals instead of filleting fish non-stop.