Build 33 How To Host Own Server

EpicFishFingers

EDIT: I GOT IT WORKING! And I wrote a guide, which I'll work to update as needed. Link here!

Okay so I was following this guide

It said to make my own server, do this:

Go to your Library and then select "Tools".

Scroll until you see "Project Zomboid Dedicated Server" and download/install it like you would with a game.

Once downloaded, you start it.

So, now I have it here as Picture 1

Now I open PZ and press "Online", and enter the info I want for my server as seen here in Picture 2

Notice it failed.

So, how do I make PICTURE 1 work with PICTURE 2?

Right now I can't even join my own server?

Is the "add a server" window seen in Picture 2 used to Create a server, or to call up an existing one?

Help, please?

Your server is Steam-enabled (it says so in the console), but your client is not Steam-enabled (it doesn't have the extra Local IP field in the server browser and won't say "Steam" next to the version number in the main screen).

You probably added -nosteam into the Launch options for the game which disables Steam on the client.

I've also followed the tutorial but am also having no luck. I just got this gamy for me and my brother and it would really be a shame to have to settle for a public server we can barely connect to. Anyway, here's my issue... I forwarded ports 8766 and 16261 with the TCP/UDP protocols on my router's IP (the same thing I type in to get to the page to forward the ports). I'm confused because I also have a LAN IP (IPv4?) that is just one digit different than my router's IP. Then I have a third, totally different IP, which is my Public IP address. I'm just really confused on what to do and would like to get some assistance to get a server running, and if at all possible if I could change some of the settings. (Like sandbox settings) Any help is appreciated!

I've also followed the tutorial but am also having no luck. I just got this gamy for me and my brother and it would really be a shame to have to settle for a public server we can barely connect to. Anyway, here's my issue... I forwarded ports 8766 and 16261 with the TCP/UDP protocols on my router's IP (the same thing I type in to get to the page to forward the ports). I'm confused because I also have a LAN IP (IPv4?) that is just one digit different than my router's IP. Then I have a third, totally different IP, which is my Public IP address. I'm just really confused on what to do and would like to get some assistance to get a server running, and if at all possible if I could change some of the settings. (Like sandbox settings) Any help is appreciated!

Good news! I have no idea to make it work with port forwarding, but I have a completely different method that you can break your balls over instead! :P

I figured out how to create my own server, and wrote a guide on reddit on how to do it. Link here!