Important things to build and craft for longterm survival

pwiseguy

Howdy all,

Fairly new to PZ and clearly new to the forum. I have a general question for everyone to pitch in their opinion.

Ive survived I believe 12 days in Muldraugh so far, and I have picked a safe house (its the one on the north side of the city with the white picket fence around it with a small shed). So far I have built walls all the way around the house, barricaded all the lower windows, started a farm (7x3 squares), built one rain barrel (plan on building more), and stockpiled a fair amount of perishable and non-perishable foods.

My question is, what do you think are the most important things to craft and build for long term survival? 

Im at a point where I need to take more steps, but looking for pointers on where those steps should be.

Thanks in advance!

You've made it farther than I ever have. XD

A secondary layer of log walls would probably be helpful.

Also a secondary location should your current one be overrun.

Other than those, both of which aren't super necessary that early in the game you seem to be pretty set.

Thanks for the reply Loudboo. I originally started with log walls and got about 1/4 of the way around but then I switched to normal wooden walls because of ease and speed to make them. Log walls were taking forever but I may fortify with another layer. I plan on making a smaller safehouse down south but for now ill stick up north and build bigger and hunker down before the winter!

It is also nice to build a skirt/platform around the 2nd level of the house. Then wall it with with windows every now and then or fences with one barricade on top. It can be useful but also looks cool if done well. Make sure you have plenty of food and a split ready for when you fall :P

You might want to consider re-doing/expanding your farm (if you have enough seeds).  I would recommend several plots, each with a different crop.  You could also try crafting some basic traps to level up your skill.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!  :-D  

I'm currently addicted to Sledgehammering stairways and making Sheet rope entrances to my safehouses. 

If you can't find a sledgehammer, you can use logwalls to close off the entrance to the stairwell.

It's the quickest and easiest way to make your safe houses Zombie-proof. As zombies won't climb up sheet ropes into windows. 

If you find a large building with a roof you can access as well you can build a farm on it without any need for walling it off so Zombies can't get to it as they won't be able to access the roof once you've closed off/gotten rid of the stairs.

Far as long term survival, I suggest getting a generator ready for winter as you won't be able to rely on farming throughout the winter. Before all the power goes out, you should gather up every empty gas can you can find and fill it up with Gas as you sadly can't power up Gas Stations to keep filling up Gas Cans after the power goes out initially. If you're not an engineer, search garages and sheds for the "How to connect a generator" magazine. 

With a good amount of gas cans and a generator or 3 ready to go for winter you can keep the fridge on throughout winter to keep your perishable food sources from rotting too quickly. 

It's funny how World War Z, the book, not the horrible movie, it mentioned how one town beat the zombies apocalypse by just staying on high ground and making it impossible for the zombies to reach them.  Because that's exactly what you can do in this game as well. Though I wish you could build catwalks between buildings.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm currently addicted to Sledgehammering stairways and making Sheet rope entrances to my safehouses. 

If you can't find a sledgehammer, you can use logwalls to close off the entrance to the stairwell.

It's the quickest and easiest way to make your safe houses Zombie-proof. As zombies won't climb up sheet ropes into windows. 

If you find a large building with a roof you can access as well you can build a farm on it without any need for walling it off so Zombies can't get to it as they won't be able to access the roof once you've closed off/gotten rid of the stairs.

Far as long term survival, I suggest getting a generator ready for winter as you won't be able to rely on farming throughout the winter. Before all the power goes out, you should gather up every empty gas can you can find and fill it up with Gas as you sadly can't power up Gas Stations to keep filling up Gas Cans after the power goes out initially. If you're not an engineer, search garages and sheds for the "How to connect a generator" magazine. 

With a good amount of gas cans and a generator or 3 ready to go for winter you can keep the fridge on throughout winter to keep your perishable food sources from rotting too quickly. 

It's funny how World War Z, the book, not the horrible movie, it mentioned how one town beat the zombies apocalypse by just staying on high ground and making it impossible for the zombies to reach them.  Because that's exactly what you can do in this game as well. Though I wish you could build catwalks between buildings.

I have a generator and some gas cans ive already read the generator book so im good to go there. Ill have to expand my crops I think. I have sledgehammers as well I think my next step will be to expand the base and build the sheet rope upstairs!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd build traps, partially for roleplay's sake (in real life you'd need meat), but also because it's a good way to get food.

Stick traps+trowel for worms gets lots of birds, and you can plow the same tile as much as you want for infinite worms.

Those box traps can catch rats with tomatoes and rabbits with cabbages, which on my game I always had a surplus of.

Do note that for traps to work they have to be pretty far (about twice as far as you can see, minimum)

If you have 2nd level with sheet rope entrance a chair (bed, tent) for sleeping, a roof garden (12 tiles), 2 rain collector barrels, a fire proof camp fire area then you might be able to survive forever.

This was actually fixed with tainted water. While the silliness of cooking can get around no crops during the winter, there is no way around the tainted water. You have to come down eventually to forage for fire building mats.

You can survive for a long time, but your always gonna have to eventually come down to get mats to boil the water.

If you have 2nd level with sheet rope entrance a chair (bed, tent) for sleeping, a roof garden (12 tiles), 2 rain collector barrels, a fire proof camp fire area then you might be able to survive forever.

This was actually fixed with tainted water. While the silliness of cooking can get around no crops during the winter, there is no way around the tainted water. You have to come down eventually to forage for fire building mats.

You can survive for a long time, but your always gonna have to eventually come down to get mats to boil the water.

There's an extra factor that forces you out of your impregnable camp: boredom o.O My current character took over all of downtown WP by smashing all the stairs and making sky-bridges between all the 2nd floors, and now I haven't played him in a week because, well, it's not very entertaining to watch the grass grow...

If you've got the patience for it  (and the nails!), you can build your super fort in the middle of nowhere, this way getting fuel for your fires is not an issue either and infinite survival is possible in relative safety.

A pretty cool way of defending your base is building turrets that you can shoot through, but the zeds can't climb through.

_ _

__| = |__ Looks like this from above. A window 1 tile inside the wall with a bar segment in front of it.

I agree with others that it's a good idea to make a few emergency bases scattered across the map. You could also try to build some skybridges to nearby buildings in case you needed to abandon the base quickly while avoiding any zeds.

Howdy all,

Fairly new to PZ and clearly new to the forum. I have a general question for everyone to pitch in their opinion.

Ive survived I believe 12 days in Muldraugh so far, and I have picked a safe house (its the one on the north side of the city with the white picket fence around it with a small shed). So far I have built walls all the way around the house, barricaded all the lower windows, started a farm (7x3 squares), built one rain barrel (plan on building more), and stockpiled a fair amount of perishable and non-perishable foods.

My question is, what do you think are the most important things to craft and build for long term survival? 

Im at a point where I need to take more steps, but looking for pointers on where those steps should be.

Thanks in advance!

Very great start ! :)

you could:

• obliterate the stairs and place sheet ropes at each second floor window.
  • place crates behind and/or in front of all the walls you've built, and build stairs to the wall so you can sheet rope off it instead of placing a weak door. or skybridge from the houses second story to the wall and build a flooring on the wall and sheet rope it.
  • this safehouse is all done and tidy, farm will take a few weeks:  go house hunting for your second safehouse :)
  • I tend to place crates in front of my barricaded windows, giving more time for me to go out and kill the zedz or flee.

you're doing great. :D

Archived