Ask Project Zomboid Developers TIS Anything 5!

Batsphinx

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you all know the drill, but we've done international versions of these more recently - so for newcomers this is basically an opportunity to ask us stuff about Project Zomboid which we'll then answer in next week's Mondoid, and possibly the next one too if there's a whole bunch of questions.

And of course, clicking 'like' on questions will clearly help us in seeing which questions are the most popular! We'd like to get a good spread of the PZ developers voices in the blog though, so please ask questions that cover all the various departments. Spiffo has also made himself available on this special occasion.

I think that's about it, but the question-asking cut-off point will likely be over the weekend. I'll appear in the thread to let everyone know when the questions have been gathered up.

Thanks all!

How will the NPC's react to the zombie apocalypse in the beginning of it? Will they act like players and just start looting houses and beating zombies to death with spoons? Or will they act more "normal" for example trying to get to a police station in hopes of the police force saving them? Listening to a radio / watching TV to figure out whats going on? Or just simply getting into their car and flooring it the hell out of major cities and areas infested with zombies? Etc...

How is the progress with NPCs? Which obstacles have to be overcome for the finishing line? What tasks remain left to be done?

Your member title... XD It's perfect.

-----------

Also, since lemmy wants the questions spread out, for Zach, The Music Guy:

What kind of evil genius possessed you to make use of ambient game sounds for the tracks? (Because it's confusing as hell and it makes me feel a bit schizophrenic when I imagine zombies banging on barricades when it's just the music. Whew.)

Was the paranoid effect intentional? Or did you just think it was a cool thing to do? Personally, I thought it was a cool thing until it started messing with my mind. Now I want my sanity back, thanks.

Are there any plans to revamp the hunger system? A system that is not too complex that you have to count calories (The Long Dark) but a system that is not as easy as just eating a 1/4 of whatever and having everything in order (Project Zomboid as now), and if you do, are there any plans to change it soon sometime after build 33? Or you see it as something that doesn't need priority right now? Can you guys give any details of how you imagine that system?

Regarding NPC meta population:

1)  How is the number, spawning, and caching of NPCs going to be handled? I mean, are all NPCs going to be spawned at world initiation as unique objects that build up histories and stats, OR are they going to be handled more like zombies currently (ie interchangeable, randomized at cell load, and otherwise static or abstracted when not loaded)? Are these going to be Dwarf Fortress NPCs or more like GTA NPCs? If the former, can you tell us more about how their lives will be abstracted?

2)  How adjustable will starting NPC population counts be? Also, how will the NPC population interact with the zombie population? For instance, I would love to start a world with 99:1 NPCs:zombies and watch as the NPCs are slowly killed off or zombified during play, ending up with like 1:99 NPC:zed.

3)  Will new NPCs be spawned after world initiation, like zombies are now, or will you be able to effectively depopulate the map of all NPCs? Will we be able to adjust this to our liking, ala the current zombie population system?

4)  How moddable is the NPC system going to be for us?

Is the aiming system final (for ranged weapons)? I originally didn't like it, but now I get along with it and it makes sense for the game style. I think I remember someone saying it was going to get redone...

Any plans for adding additional weapons?

Is the turn based system still gonna happen as a side project? I remember someone saying they were kickin around that idea and I see some files laying around that kinda hint that it's still a go.

What games do you guys play?

Regarding NPC meta population:

1)  How is the number, spawning, and caching of NPCs going to be handled? I mean, are all NPCs going to be spawned at world initiation as unique objects that build up histories and stats, OR are they going to be handled more like zombies currently (ie interchangeable, randomized at cell load, and otherwise static or abstracted when not loaded)? Are these going to be Dwarf Fortress NPCs or more like GTA NPCs? If the former, can you tell us more about how their lives will be abstracted?

2)  How adjustable will starting NPC population counts be? Also, how will the NPC population interact with the zombie population? For instance, I would love to start a world with 99:1 NPCs:zombies and watch as the NPCs are slowly killed off or zombified during play, ending up with like 1:99 NPC:zed.

3)  Will new NPCs be spawned after world initiation, like zombies are now, or will you be able to effectively depopulate the map of all NPCs? Will we be able to adjust this to our liking, ala the current zombie population system?

4)  How moddable is the NPC system going to be for us?

This is the best question I've seen on here. I'm wondering too, since there's an option for 0 Zeds, if we could then adjust the number of NPCs and have the game double as a Mad Max/The Road simulator.

Questions from DarkWeed, from the French community forum :

- Are you going to put some character customisation/visual stuffing from crafts? For instance, trash bags used as raincoats (and seen on the character).

- Will we be able to see the "health" of breakable objects again? Will any option to repair damaged barricades before they actually break be added?