Town Districts, Power and Water seperation, Fire Hydrants, and Power Substations

Paxies

I would like to see the various towns divided into districts, parts, or boroughs or what have you, with each district having its own power and water seperate from the others.  

Realistically, if water and power are being provided underground, sometimes there's an intersection of water and power and there's a substation in the sewer that if you can power, you can power the whole district.  The substation also controls whether water flows.  In a large county or city, you can expect there to be various districts with their own substations providing electricity and water flow to the city.

If this were to be implemented, I'd imagine that there would be a lot of ways above ground to influence things for the whole district as well through things like fire hydrants, and power plants.  Say there is a group of survivors holed up in South Muldraugh early on in the outbreak, before the water and power are shut off.  If you or another raider wanted to, they could open up a fire hydrant, and bleed their district dry of water, and partially flood a few houses in the meantime.  They can't get water safely anymore, and are forced to move out, or scavenge farther for water, drawing attention of zeds and raiders.

By the same coin, were vehicles to be implemented, you could salvage a few alternators, and a boatload of gasoline and make/commandeer a generator, hook it up to one of the substations, and have a glorious 'utopia' for a few days.

Maybe (and this is a little out there, but keeping with the makeshift power sources) you could hook up a bunch of zombies to treadmills, have them produce power by regularly changing bait or something.  Maybe power up a radio tower, start coordinating with other groups.  I don't think the end of electricity truly means the end of civilization, or survival even, and if the game reflected that in the future I'd be pleased as punch.

I would like to see the various towns divided into districts, parts, or boroughs or what have you, with each district having its own power and water seperate from the others.  

Realistically, if water and power are being provided underground, sometimes there's an intersection of water and power and there's a substation in the sewer that if you can power, you can power the whole district.  The substation also controls whether water flows.  In a large county or city, you can expect there to be various districts with their own substations providing electricity and water flow to the city.

If this were to be implemented, I'd imagine that there would be a lot of ways above ground to influence things for the whole district as well through things like fire hydrants, and power plants.  Say there is a group of survivors holed up in South Muldraugh early on in the outbreak, before the water and power are shut off.  If you or another raider wanted to, they could open up a fire hydrant, and bleed their district dry of water, and partially flood a few houses in the meantime.  They can't get water safely anymore, and are forced to move out, or scavenge farther for water, drawing attention of zeds and raiders.

By the same coin, were vehicles to be implemented, you could salvage a few alternators, and a boatload of gasoline and make/commandeer a generator, hook it up to one of the substations, and have a glorious 'utopia' for a few days.

Maybe (and this is a little out there, but keeping with the makeshift power sources) you could hook up a bunch of zombies to treadmills, have them produce power by regularly changing bait or something.  Maybe power up a radio tower, start coordinating with other groups.  I don't think the end of electricity truly means the end of civilization, or survival even, and if the game reflected that in the future I'd be pleased as punch.

only problem here is that this is based off a real town and they don't have these stations. but new maps are planned and this could be part of them.

So essentially a system where large areas of the map run out of power before others? And hold individual power/water consumption?

I really like your idea of having districts of power and water shut off at different times, giving raiders and survivors more desirable places to set up shop. I'm afraid, however; to say that I don't really like the idea of giving a whole lot of focus to this one mechanic of the game. I feel like having the different levels of each district variating on who's using whichever fire hydrant or generator isn't really a valuable use of my runtime.

This is just my opinion, however. And as I said, a simplistic district-style shut off system sounds like a grand idea.

- B

So essentially a system where large areas of the map run out of power before others? And hold individual power/water consumption?

I really like your idea of having districts of power and water shut off at different times, giving raiders and survivors more desirable places to set up shop. I'm afraid, however; to say that I don't really like the idea of giving a whole lot of focus to this one mechanic of the game. I feel like having the different levels of each district variating on who's using whichever fire hydrant or generator isn't really a valuable use of my runtime.

This is just my opinion, however. And as I said, a simplistic district-style shut off system sounds like a grand idea.

- B

i would agree but once again i will say, with new towns coming (no eta) having something like this may be nice. i wouldn't mind seeing some towns stay on while others are fluctuating with it only working a little here or there. I do also like the idea of making it so you would need to travel if you still wanted that power for the extra day or two. (adding more use to vehicles.) So i don't mind it being a little more complex. just not to complex.