UngratefulDead's Hunting Mod

UngratefulDead

banner.png

So, this is my first attempt at a mod for Project Zomboid and my first attempt at a mod in general, but I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out so far. My goal is to have a hunting system that requires the character to spend time out of doors and provides a source of meat as well as a use for the rifles when they often find themselves reduced to glorified noisemakers.

Version 2.0 adds raccoons, skunks, opossums, foxes, beavers, deer, wild boar, and black bear to the existing rabbits, and squirrels, and now offers five types of birds rather than just one for both the hunting system introduced by Version 1.0 and the base game trapping system.

Before hunting, a player must first track animals. This requires foraging, where any character will be able to find animal traces and combine them for animal tracks (and experienced foragers can find animal tracks directly). Animal tracks are needed to hunt birds or small game or can be combined again for large animal tracks needed to hunt deer, wild pigs, or black bears.

Once the tracks are acquired, the player must have the appropriate weapon (kept) and four rounds (three will be expended), at which point they can attempt a hunt, the likelihood of success of which will be dependent on the character's Aiming and Sneaking ability. A totally unskilled character can expect to be successful around 40% of the time hunting with ideal weapons, expert hunters can more than double that. The probabilities are still being tweaked, so I'd appreciate any user input on that and any other aspect of the mod. The player can also hunt with throwing spears, expending three wooden lances, but this takes a substantially longer time and has a much lower chance of success (5% for an unskilled player hunting small game, so you'd better have a lot of animal tracks or a lot of Sneaking and Aiming).

If unsuccessful, you will need more tracks for another attempt, but if successful the player will receive an appropriate carcass which can be butchered. 

Shot1.jpg

Version 2.0 is now out, adding many more species of animals to hunt as well as revising the base game trapping tables so that all small game can be trapped. Raccoons, skunks, opossums, and foxes are all nocturnal and can be lured with any bait that works on squirrels or mice/rats, while beavers will eat only the same bait as squirrels and can be found only in the forests. Of the new types of birds, only pigeons can be found in the city while larger birds will require traps in more rural areas.

Balancing is a work in progress, right now it's intended to be in line with the game's survival difficulty i.e. fairly unforgiving rather than an easy source of lots of meat. I'd appreciate any feedback in that regard. It should take a while (and a little luck) to bring in an animal, but it should be possible.

This mod overwrites some base game Trapping files so it will be incompatible with any other mod that does the same. It is currently not compatible with gun mods, although this can be added. It will be integrated into the current Hydrocraft release, so do not attempt to run both mods simultaneously.

PLANNED FEATURES:
Gunshot sounds that attract zombies when hunting
Version compatible with popular gun mods
More animals
Animal calls
More hunting gear?
Suggestions?

CREDITS:

Fox/Bear/Deer: Hydromancer/Dajikun
Pawprints: OpenClipArt by timlesch
All other work by myself or .exegirl

That should be pretty easy to do, I will look into making the modifications.

Okay, well, I converted over the shotgun recipes no problem but it seems like he has different ammo for every individual rifle. I can make it work, it just means a bunch of recipes so it will have to be a work in progress.

Looks cool, you should make a video for it, and post it here.

I don't really know how to do that, but if anybody were inclined they have my express permission to use my mod in any videos they desire.

• 2 weeks later...

Hunting Mod is updated to version 2.0, some new game have been added and four new types of bird. All small animals and birds can now be trapped in vanilla traps as well.

could you possibly make it so when hunting something happens during the hunt. say if you hunt bears you may get scratched or bit rather then nothing really happen. could make things like hunting bigger game a big deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Great mod! I hope you will be able to add noise to the hunting etc.

But the only thing i don't understand - why the heck Hydrocraft don't use it already? It's way better and more logicial than using binoculars with poop on it to find and insta-kill with your hands deer.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hunting Mod is updated to version 2.0, some new game have been added and four new types of bird. All small animals and birds can now be trapped in vanilla traps as well.

could you possibly make it so when hunting something happens during the hunt. say if you hunt bears you may get scratched or bit rather then nothing really happen. could make things like hunting bigger game a big deal.

Great! I like that idea.

Me neither! Hunting is already implemented into Hydrocraft?

Mh I have both mods on my server and it seems that both mods works. Sometimes the games does not load the Chunks and im trapped in an area but im not sure if this is depends on the mods.

• 3 weeks later...