Better visibility of things behind walls

Gaffa Tape Warrior

Having had my save updated to the new version, I carefully looked around my house in case some zombies had spawned. I saw no zombies, and went inside again, but heard the bumping sound of a zombie. I went outside again to check this window you see in the pictures below.

post-8290-0-82583800-1437342962_thumb.pn

That zombie on the ground was hidden from my view by the wall when I was sneaking around my house to look. As I went to see if that was where the zombie was, I could not see it because of the wall in front of the camera. The zombie then lunged out and nearly got me, but I was anticipating this glitch. The picture below shows what it looks like when you stand a bit closer.

post-8290-0-84062700-1437343675_thumb.pn

My suggestion is to make it so that you can see things that are further "up" than other things, that your character would be able to see. Another problem is that when my character is behind things I cannot see them because they are too trasnsparent. Maybe you could make it so that you can see more than a small circle around your guy, but not make it so transparent that you cannot tell what he's behind. I am afraid of being on that side of buildings because of only having a very small circle of vision, which is bad for peering out of windows before going down escape sheets and other things.

I think PZ devs should use L4D tip. They should make "neon lights" around the player/zombie that is behind the wall.

That might be a bit too obvious. Maybe something similar though.

In the past I suggested this on the old forums, people claimed 'immersion'.

I still support the idea or something similar.

I think neon lights would actually improve "immersion". I got a panic moodle from the zombie when going around my house but couldn't actually see the zombie because it was between me and my house, so my house was above it on my screen.

i feel like a sort of button to switch the view. one for how it is now. one to see just the building without fade. one where only the base of the building is shown like in the sims. (where it shows the bottom inch of a wall being placed.)

Neon outlining when a zed is in the character's FOV but hidden to the player by an element: WANT!

The fading around the character is OK but this suggestion would be much appreciated. I don't know how it would kill "realism" knowing that you're supposed to be the character and notice what's in his/her FOV.

• 2 weeks later...

Neon outlining when a zed is in the character's FOV but hidden to the player by an element: WANT!

The fading around the character is OK but this suggestion would be much appreciated. I don't know how it would kill "realism" knowing that you're supposed to be the character and notice what's in his/her FOV.

I think that neon lights should "activate" in the line of sight only (and they shouldn't be so visible, i think that kind of colored shadow would be better).

• 7 months later...

I am deliberately necroing this topic because I think the issue is still real. Considering that what we hear and what we see is taken from the character's POV, zombies hidden behind walls should be easier to spot. I'm in favour of some kind of neon outline around the zeds when they're behind a wall, hidden from the player's view but clearly visible for the character.

Could a dev state if this is a planned feature?

4 minutes ago, Teesee said:

I am deliberately necroing this topic because I think the issue is still real. Considering that what we hear and what we see is taken from the character's POV, zombies hidden behind walls should be easier to spot. I'm in favour of some kind of neon outline around the zeds when they're behind a wall, hidden from the player's view but clearly visible for the character.

Could a dev state if this is a planned feature?

I actually posted about this a few minutes ago on Reddit. This and "falling" are my 2 biggest complaints about this game. Unfortunately I have no real idea of a fix for this because of how the view is based.

A safety feature for falling damage would be cool. you have to be running to fly off an edge.