[ZomboidXBow] Update: 1.1.3 - Bugfix/Balancing

lorneagle

Hey Livio, 

Thanks for the feedback. Two ig days to find a saw is not too bad, after all it should be a bit of a challenge to operate a crossbow, especially in the beginning.

I noticed the muzzle flash too, but there is currently nothing I can do about it because it is a side effect of using the item type firearm.

I however have not notice any extra attention by Zeds because of this......it is however a bit annoying and I will look into it.

I send you a PM to resolve your invisible crossbow issue. 

i'm about to check the pm, about the saw btw i can tell that two ig days with no zeds and sprint level 10 could mean months in a survival game

i didn't have to care about literally nothing, food, drinks, enemies; i had abundant on every kind of loot and lucky skill

i think saws are really too rare atm, the starting kit thing would solve it for people willing to use it (if not there is survival)

i think it's already well balanced by the fact that you have to gather other things to craft bolts and xbow, and you'll have to keep scavenging to make new bolts all the time (you can start and craft let's say 20, you'll kill about 5 zeds with them)

since i don't pick a job with aim multipliers i can assure you that levelling it and then becoming functional with xbows will take maybe an ig month. it's a bit too much if added to the time spent looking for a saw that is ridicolusly rare

ofc it's just an opinion :) but i can see it already hard enough even if you start with a saw in the starter kit.

other than that i tried with fast levelling so i can tell you how i feel about that

i'd change a bit the bolt breaking chance, scaling it with aiming skill: at higher levels it is as you set it atm, at lower it's freaking higher, like 50% or 60%, this to further balance the fact that a saw could make aquiring the materials pretty faster

Hey Livio, 

Thanks for the feedback. Two ig days to find a saw is not too bad, after all it should be a bit of a challenge to operate a crossbow, especially in the beginning.

I noticed the muzzle flash too, but there is currently nothing I can do about it because it is a side effect of using the item type firearm.

I however have not notice any extra attention by Zeds because of this......it is however a bit annoying and I will look into it.

I send you a PM to resolve your invisible crossbow issue. 

i'm about to check the pm, about the saw btw i can tell that two ig days with no zeds and sprint level 10 could mean months in a survival game

i didn't have to care about literally nothing, food, drinks, enemies; i had abundant on every kind of loot and lucky skill

i think saws are really too rare atm, the starting kit thing would solve it for people willing to use it (if not there is survival)

i think it's already well balanced by the fact that you have to gather other things to craft bolts and xbow, and you'll have to keep scavenging to make new bolts all the time (you can start and craft let's say 20, you'll kill about 5 zeds with them)

since i don't pick a job with aim multipliers i can assure you that levelling it and then becoming functional with xbows will take maybe an ig month. it's a bit too much if added to the time spent looking for a saw that is ridicolusly rare

ofc it's just an opinion :) but i can see it already hard enough even if you start with a saw in the starter kit.

other than that i tried with fast levelling so i can tell you how i feel about that

i'd change a bit the bolt breaking chance, scaling it with aiming skill: at higher levels it is as you set it atm, at lower it's freaking higher, like 50% or 60%, this to further balance the fact that a saw could make aquiring the materials pretty faster

Same problem with finding saw ? In a old game at Wespoint, i got the same problem, it was terrible...Of course it's like all the saw where replaced with screwdrivers (because in my old game i find a dozen of them at all !)

I find no one in the several garages and some sheds that i scavenge...So i decided to make a sprint to the warehouse to grab this damn saw (Iike you i was really starving for saw), so when i came to the warehouse start to check crates no one saw in ! Pick up the Sledgehammer and break crates to have access to the others one, no again, check the shelfs of the warehouse no, check outdoor at the container no, no , and no saw ! After check the crates and container at storage units, I decide to try my last chance before get crazy, i check the crates at the seller sofa shop, NO ONE DAMN SAW ! I read a subject that a guy got the same problem to find one, its was solved by this sentence : I think it's was a bug, No luck D=

I delete the game, start a new one with normal loot, and then the saw was reappeared ! I find in my game for now 5 saw, the first one was at the house next to my safehouse (that i spawned) in a cardboard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you will add special crossbows ? Like metal crossbows, but are only findable, not craftable for example ?

snip

snip

snip

i feel you, it's a matter of luck, in multiplayer i'm usually waaay more likely to find saws (i actually have 4 in the server i play)

in single player i had multiple games where i could struggle for months without ever finding one, never ever ever

that's why i suggested it as a starter kit addon (maybe balanced by removing something in the starter kit),

starting from level 0 aim is enough of a challenge for me XD most of the times i end up dead before even having the materials to build a crossbow. i want it to be a main weapon since the first days, so you can "grow up" with it while sneaking and stuff, not exactly like starting with it but being able to craft one in a couple of in game days (with the starter kit, survival mode would keep it as it is)

that said i'm looking forward to other things to optimize the gameplay, i'm sure the multiplayer will require a completely different system of balancing

I updated the mod, made crossbows two handed as per Livios suggestion :) 

Included Jabs latest modloader version as well as an alternative way to get 3D models working (see README).

I tried bot ways and both worked for me.

I also tested what 3D options are required to see the crossbows and 3D Zombie corpses are not required.

This version is still not MP compatible but I'm almost there :)

just tested the non modloader version (i guess the modloader will require another update since the game's update)
mfw i craft the crossbow

i love this, i really love this :D
 - i happened to find gun's ammo and that made me wonder if explosive bolts could be a thing (gun powder + ?)
perhaps with a small area of damage and with no fire and really hard to craft (the secondary material may be really rare) - edit: apparently you beat me on time, i just saw the "explosive bolts" recipie in the crafting ui :D.

I'M LOVING THIS I'M GONNA CONQUER THE DAMN WALKING DEAD PRISON :D
christmas is earlier this year

Yep, i agree with Livio it's a very nice mod, i also craft the wooden crossbow and... :razz:

It's so fun !! Great work again ! Also with Modloader it's a regia for the eyes !

Do you will add some sights for the crossbow ?

Haha I actually did experiment with an explosive bolt. But the modding support for explosives is currently not very good so although I was able to make it work in some way but it looked rather ridiculous because i had to make the crossbow a physicsobject and my character would shoot and then throw the crossbow which would explode.

So its in there but deactivated. Definitely on my roadmap though

Works in multiplayer really good. Only one exploit we have found. If you put crossbow in bag, then after you kill any zombie with melee weapon you'll get bolts from corpses. Tested on heavy crossbow and heavy broken crossbow.

Works in multiplayer really good. Only one exploit we have found. If you put crossbow in bag, then after you kill any zombie with melee weapon you'll get bolts from corpses. Tested on heavy crossbow and heavy broken crossbow.

Thanks for the feedback, I will look into that. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, lorneagle! I'd like to express my gratitude for this mod. The effort you're putting into this is much appreciated, really! I'm having hours of fun with the crossbows. :)

Now, my apologies if this post becomes a bit long. I'll try my best to make it brief.

I'd like to report a possible bug - I hope that's not happening only on my end:

The Wooden Crossbow model won't show up in the character's hands. [screenshot]

I haven't tested the others (couldn't get my hands on them yet), and I have 3D Models enabled (Default "Player+8").

As an additional detail, I couldn't run the game with your redistribution copy of the Jabs Modloader. I had to download that mod directly from its official thread, and that did the trick.

If needed, I can provide you the output log.

Also, as a side note, I'm having a hard time locating aluminum or pipes. Although those items are vanilla, and that problem shouldn't be related to this mod.

Anyway, thank you again for the work! You rock! :)

Hi Kowgan, I'm glad you are enjoying the mod.

I did test the mod in a long session with friends last week and we found ~15 issues that I am currently fixing. Some of them are bugs and some are balancing issues.

I reworked the recipe for bolts and I am also looking into the Aluminum (since the Aluminum is actually foil :) )

Regarding the model issue: The ModelLoader bundled with the mod is too old. Future releases will not bundle the ModLoader because it curretly changes too frequently.

If you are using the current version (1.0.2) along with the latest ModelLoader you will have to edit the file ZXBinit.lua

located in C:\Users\yourUser\Zomboid\mods\ZomboidXBow\media\lua\client.

Change:

--loadStaticZomboidModel( "weapons_crossbow" , ZXBinit.locationModel .. "weapons_crossbow.txt", ZXBinit.locationTexture .. "Objects_Crossbow.png" ) ;

to

loadStaticZomboidModel( "weapons_crossbow" , ZXBinit.locationModel .. "weapons_crossbow.txt", ZXBinit.locationTexture .. "Objects_Crossbow.png" ) ;

And it should work.

I did test the mod in a long session with friends last week and we found ~15 issues that I am currently fixing. Some of them are bugs and some are balancing issues.

I reworked the recipe for bolts and I am also looking into the Aluminum (since the Aluminum is actually foil :) )

Regarding the model issue: The ModelLoader bundled with the mod is too old. Future releases will not bundle the ModLoader because it curretly changes too frequently.

If you are using the current version (1.0.2) along with the latest ModelLoader you will have to edit the file ZXBinit.lua

Change:

--loadStaticZomboidModel( "weapons_crossbow" , ZXBinit.locationModel .. "weapons_crossbow.txt", ZXBinit.locationTexture .. "Objects_Crossbow.png" ) ;

to

loadStaticZomboidModel( "weapons_crossbow" , ZXBinit.locationModel .. "weapons_crossbow.txt", ZXBinit.locationTexture .. "Objects_Crossbow.png" ) ;

And it should work.

Model loader will not need to change for a long time now that 32 is official. There should be no issue. 

Hey Jab

Understood. I'll definitely make sure MoelLoader is supported and installation instructions will recommend it as the default way to run the mod. Just not sure if I will still bundle it. I did it for convenience but most people that use mods don't seem to mind installing ModelLoader from the original source.

Change:

to

And it should work.

Thank you! It worked for me.

*kicks in a new page*

Thank you for the answer and for the fix, Lorneagle. :) I'm glad to know the development is progressing.

I've modified the ZXBinit.lua file, and as I launched my game, I got that (hopefully-well-known) glitch where the screen goes black, and my items and stats duplicate. Restarting the current save fixes the black screen, and I can continue playing.

So I recently had some time to test the mod in Sandbox and Multiplayer and the result is this patch.

One of the main issues was the availability of bolts. Bolt manufacturing was very limited with just pillows, so I added some more options to get the resources needed for bolts. 

Changelog

Version 1.1.0

Features and Balancing

• Added new item: Feather nr60MJn.png
  • Added new item: Aluminum Rod QXzHZ2o.png
  • Added new recipe: Pluck Feathers (40) . Requires DeadBird (trapping) or BirdCadaver (foraging)
  • Added new recipe: Collect Feathers (30). Requires Pillow
  • Added new recipe: Cut Aluminum Rod. Requires Golfclub
  • Changed recipe: Create Wooden Bolt. 1 Bolt requires 1 Feather and 1 Wooden Stick or 1 Tree Branch
  • Added new recipe: Fix Broken Wooden Bolt. Requires 10 Broken Wooden Bolts + 1 Scotchtape or 1/5 Ducttape
  • Added item spawn: Aluminum Rod. Spawns in storage crates, metal shelves, tool store, garagestorage
  • Added BirdCadaver to foraging loot table. BirdCadaver cannot be slaughtered for meat but plucked for feathers
  • Removed all Electricity perk requirements from recipes
  • All recipes that required Aluminum now require Aluminum Rod (Aluminum Bolts/Heavy Crossbow, Repeating Crossbow)

Bugfixes

• [MP] Players should not be able to find bolts in zombies killed with an non-crossbow weapon
  • Broken Bolts can no longer be used as ammo
  • Fixed server exception when crossbow breaks
  • Fixed exception when player attacks without primary weapon
  • Repair Kits are now Drainable (5 uses)
  • Repeating Crossbow no longer loses all loaded ammo when it breaks
  • Crossbows can no longer be reloaded with bolts in zombie corpses
  • Repeating crossbow no longer adds two bolts to the weapon for the first bolt loaded

Thank you for the update, Lorn. These items are a great addition, and the Golf Club idea is really neat. Now, for a few questions and notes:

- How rare is the Aluminum Rod? Golf Clubs are somewhat rare, so, if the Rod is rare as well, should I forget about stocking Aluminum Bolts?

- What do you think about adding a cutting item to the "Cut Aluminum Rod" recipe? "keep Saw," or something.

- You forgot to mention the Pillow->Feather recipe in the changelog/wiki.

- Is there any server containing this mod you guys usually play? I'd love to join, if possible. :)

Hey Kowgan,

1. The abundance of Aluminum Rods is based on your sandbox settings. They have the same spawn locations and spawn chance as 'Box of Nails'. I used those as reference because I had a pretty good idea how common they are in Survival and various Sandbox settings
  2. Adding a cutting item is a good idea. I will add a saw for the next build
  3. Thanks :) I will add it right away
  4. We have a server, however it is currently not public and only used for sessions with friends. I can make it public, with ZomboidXBow and maybe Hydrocraft and Gun Mod if desired, however I don't have time to hunt down hackers, cheaters and griefers. So I'll either need some admins or white listing to keep the bad apples out 

I have a question? can i spawn in this bow with NC when i am goofing around in SP?

Hey Bozak,

For goofing around go to the mod folder:

In media/lua/shared/ZomboidXBow you will find: ZXBTest.lua 

Change the last line

--Events.OnKeyPressed.Add(ZXBTest.addItems);
to

Events.OnKeyPressed.Add(ZXBTest.addItems);
Reload the mod or (re)start the game.

Now ingame press 0 on Num Block (Num needs to be ON)

You will see a menu of available options in the CLI window:

Num 1: Gives you Wooden Crossbow
Num 2: Heavy Crossbow
Num 3: Repeating Crossbow
Num 4: 10 bolts of each type 
Num 5: Quiver
Num 6: Materialsfor all recipes
Num 7: XP for reloading and aiming (press 8 times or so to get enough XP for Lvl 10, you need to + manually in your skill menu)
Num 8: XP for Woodworking
Num 9: XP Foraging

Start with a Wooden Crossbow and lvl 1 Aiming and then take a Repeating Crossbow with Aluminum Bolts and Aiming 10 :)
There is a HUUGE difference :) Enjoy

Thanks for the answer, Lorn!

I've been enjoying the mod so much. Golf Clubs/Aluminum Rods doesn't seem to be either too easy, nor too hard to find. I guess I'm comfortable with the result.

Now, I've noticed that the RepairKits aren't being consumed when repairing the broken crossbows (I've only tried the wooden one). Perhaps you'd have to change the repair code to an item recipe?

recipe Repair Wooden Crossbow {    WoodenCrossbow_Broken,    WoodenCrossbowRepairKit,    Result: WoodenCrossbow,                Time: 400.0,}

That's just a guess, though.

As for the server, unfortunately I don't have the available time to moderate a server. At the same time, I don't want to be intrusive to a closed group, so, no worries at all. :)

I've been enjoying the mod so much. Golf Clubs/Aluminum Rods doesn't seem to be either too easy, nor too hard to find. I guess I'm comfortable with the result.

Now, I've noticed that the RepairKits aren't being consumed when repairing the broken crossbows (I've only tried the wooden one). Perhaps you'd have to change the repair code to an item recipe?

Hey :)

Very happy to hear that you like the mod. Also I am always happy to get balancing feedback.

As for Repair Kits: They should be drainable, meaning they should have 5 uses. If you expand the item in your inventory you see a green 'fill bar' That should deplete with every use. If it is not you found a bug :)

I'm still playing around with this feature. I use random break chance instead of the built in durability because

a) I wanted skills like Woodworking to affect (lower) the chance

b) A friend wanted this to be an 'Oh shit' moment instead of: 'A well I was expecting it to break within the next couple shots because I checked durability'

It turned out that  this randomness would sometimes result in two breaks in quick succession, so instead of having players carry around 5 repair kits to compensate for bad luck (wait should i add the luck trait here...i should ;) ) I made it a Drainable with 5 uses

Sorry, I guess I didn't express myself clear enough. :)

Yes, I know there is a green drainable bar, and that was the thing I was referring to. I used the repairkit three times, and that green bar didn't decrease a bit at the Repairkit.

Other than that, I like how the randomness affected by the Carpentry skill is right now. It seems just right.