Official Build 32 Zombie Population Feedback Thread

Batsphinx

One thing that bugs me a lot about this build is that zombies will attack you safehouse for no reason except that you are in it.

Still, this is far more preferred than "never-see-a-zombie-again" after barricading a bit. Defending things just makes things more FUN.

It just doesn't feel right, meta sounds and npc's should be dragging zombies around not some magical force.

Sometimes you just have to realize that without scripting the game comes to a halt. I find it unreasonable that people expect things to work without scripting, and expect that everything has a reason or butterfly effect which would be neat and nice, but UNTIL we get the npcs that are planned to replace the meta-events, it's

1. gameplay and experience, no matter what means are used

2. everything else

More zombies, more threatening zombies + environment = true zombie survival. The more difficult, the more fun it is. My two cents.

At present, though, it's not a positive experience for me - I know roguelike and random go hand in hand but too much random kills any incentive to even try to play the odds. 

Edit: I eventually gave up on my stealthy cook and went for a more combat-and-carpentry oriented build. The experience is less frustrating now (though I'm definitely removing hypochondria from my build, my character got a near terminal fever without even getting scratched!) as I can take out the zombies who randomly start window-licking before they become a threat. Still gets old after a while, particularly when I know nothing else but some RNG function attracted them, and I'm sad I can't effectively hide, but that's been my experience of PZ so far: there's always something irritating me about it but I *just can't stop playing*! Good work devs :P

I'm adding a config file to every save so people can experiment with spawning behavior.  This also adds the "population starts lower and gets higher over time" thing.  Or you could have the population start higher and get lower over time.

Spoiler
# Same as the sandbox "Zombie Count" setting.

# 4.0 = Insane, 2.0 = High, 1.0 = Normal, 0.35 = Low, 0.0 = None.

# Minimum=0.0 Maximum=4.0 Default=1.0

PopulationMultiplier=4.0

# Adjusts the desired population at the start of the game.

# Minimum=0.0 Maximum=4.0 Default=0.8

PopulationStartMultiplier=0.2

# Adjusts the desired population on the peak day.

# Minimum=0.0 Maximum=4.0 Default=1.2

PopulationPeakMultiplier=1.0

# The day when the population reaches it's peak.

# Minimum=1 Maximum=365 Default=28

PopulationPeakDay=28

# The number of hours that must pass before zombies may respawn in a cell.

# If zero, spawning is disabled.

# Minimum=0.0 Maximum=8760.0 Default=1.0

RespawnHours=24.0

# The number of hours that a chunk must be unseen before zombies may respawn in it.

RespawnUnseenHours=1.0

# The fraction of a cell's desired population that may respawn every RespawnHours.

# Minimum=0.0 Maximum=1.0 Default=0.1

RespawnMultiplier=0.1

# The number of hours that must pass before zombies migrate to empty parts of the same cell.

RedistributeHours=12.0

# The distance a virtual zombie will try to walk towards the last sound it heard.

# Minimum=10 Maximum=1000 Default=100

FollowSoundDistance=100

A) this isn't here yet, hence "am adding", right?

B) So what happens after "peak day" - do numbers stay the same or shrink back to "PopulationModifier" (ie you can set a peak day to have more than your long-term maximum)?

C) Can you give an equation (if B is correct) on how the total spawning system works then? I am not understanding how the "Peak Day" effect is going to impact zombie counts on, say, day 14 (of a 28 day peak day).

D) Can we get a "zombie magnetism" setting that affects how bunchy the zombies like to be? (perhaps one that could go negative, making them repelled by other zombies).

I'm adding a config file to every save so people can experiment with spawning behavior.  This also adds the "population starts lower and gets higher over time" thing.  Or you could have the population start higher and get lower over time.

Spoiler

PopulationMultiplier=4.0

PopulationPeakDay=28

RespawnHours=24.0

# The number of hours that a chunk must be unseen before zombies may respawn in it.

RespawnUnseenHours=1.0

# The fraction of a cell's desired population that may respawn every RespawnHours.

RespawnMultiplier=0.1

# The number of hours that must pass before zombies migrate to empty parts of the same cell.

RedistributeHours=12.0

# The distance a virtual zombie will try to walk towards the last sound it heard.

FollowSoundDistance=100

Do we get all the settings for MP as well or SP only to test?

After playing a while with a few games up to 5 month in, i like the new system.

But it would be nice to set a number for each cell or maybe area (urban, trailerpark,forest riverside etc) to disturb the zeds. a big group in WP or MD is ok, but having groups of 40+ on the farm or valley on the riverside or even in the forest is a bit off.

I used both settings urban focused and everywhere, but had always the same prob.

Also trying diffrent respawn time and % doesn´t solved it. Like others said there is the happy medium missing atm.

Also the fact that depending on settings a cleard area gets nearly never or way to fast repopulated isn´t fun and that for some rng reasons the base gets targeted doesn´t make sence.

and since no static is in game for buildings, it´s still the safest to build a flowting castle somewhere and build like a 2nd world lvl up there with sand and plants etc

or like i do sometimes build a fort on the water with a 1st floor bridge and rope window.

I've haven't added much randomness yet because I want to find "good" numbers for spawning/migrating first.  Otherwise everybody will have a different experience and the feedback won't be as helpful.  One person might randomly have a lot of zombies and another too few.  Once the numbers feel right then randomness can be added

The population changes linearly from Day Zero to the Peak Day.  After "Peak Day" the population stays at that number.

On day 14 of 28 the desired population will be 1/2 way between the start population and peak population.  That's just the target desired population, the number of zombies getting added to the world still depends on the respawn interval and percent.

Zombies are getting attracted to empty areas every hour which is too often.  Also, zombies can respawn in any area that hasn't been seen in the last hour, which is too short a time.  That's why "clearing an area" never seems to work.  Both of those times can be adjusted in the zombies.ini file.  So you can have zombies migrate to empty areas every day/week/month instead, and/or not respawn in any area you've visited in the last day/week/month for example.

The settings work in multiplayer as well; the server will have the same zombies.ini file.

Zombies smashing down windows/doors/carpentry for no reason:  I never liked that either.

And there is absolutely no "target the player's base" code anywhere.

One thing I'm worried about, there have been a few reports that huge numbers of zombies are giving people out-of-memory errors or performance problems.  So I'm starting to wonder if we need to limit the number of real zombies.  I don't know how that would work though.

How about adding another value to the cell - the sound/noise. It will fill up when player will make noise + random meta game sounds. When that number reach some point the migration from other cells will start. It will work in more real way.

By far the most zombie filled city i have ever seen. On normal zombies, doing loot runs is close to impossible. Groups are everywhere. But i love it like this. This is what it should look like. Finding a screwdriver was the hardest thing, but still fun. It might be fun for me, but others might not like it. I have seen some randomness, A group of about 5-10 zombies jumped though a broken window for no reason. 

Spoiler

PopulationMultiplier=4.0

PopulationPeakDay=28

RespawnHours=24.0

RespawnUnseenHours=1.0

RespawnMultiplier=0.1

RedistributeHours=12.0

FollowSoundDistance=100

Very cool - just in case I missed a reply - where is the config file?

How about adding another value to the cell - the sound/noise. It will fill up when player will make noise + random meta game sounds. When that number reach some point the migration from other cells will start. It will work in more real way.

I had considered this same mechanic for a while in earlier builds, but I actually like the new system so far. I appreciate that z's (more or less) organically repopulate an area, and then react to sounds you make. With a behind-the-scenes meter building up, you could potentially set off an attack in an otherwise "clear" area, which would feel overly-gamey, in my opinion.

Had a small pack of zombies come out of the woods and siege my safehouse after boarding up the second window, which had never happened up until now, so that's super cool.

Without any points in stealth I've been able to kill off groups of about 5 by sneaking up to them until one notices, then drawing them behind a building and killing them there. It's pretty effective.

I've found sharp weapons (knives/screwdrivers) far more effective for combat than blunt stuff just because it's so common to knock guys back and not knock them down or score a kill. I've played a veteran with the desensitized skill and it's pretty much the same. Waiting for a full second or two before swinging seems to make a small difference but it's pretty hard to do with zombies grouped the way they are.

Reading through this topic gives me the idea that players are all too dfferent.

Which is not a bad thing.. it just means that there should be lots of customizations.

A fresh player is happy to kill a few zeds with a baseball bat between finding out that broken glass hurts and broken legs kill.

- Low amounts and mostly passive zombies.

An oriented player would like some peace to experiment with the professions.. farming, carpentry, etc.

- Medium amounts of zombies, preferrably passive enough to let him gather the required stuff and build up.

A seasoned player wants challenge, he knows what is what.. how things work.

- IMO he needs at least medium amounts of zombies with great randomity, migrating, moving, chasing, running, luring etc. He doesn't want runs to be the same. And he wants to see why it is worth building a safehouse.. hence he needs to be harassed enough to validate building walls days on end.

And at last the diehard player, who is interested in how zombies spawn and all the fine details. He wants to get better, he wants to be the only person who survived THE Zombie Apocalypse. But if he succeeds constantly.. he will move on.

- So he needs lots of zombies. Huge amount of randomity.. to be surprised by the zombies actions for him is pure joy. Finding yet another near impossible situation to work on is the best thing that can happen. And of course he needs to die. So he will aim at surviving just one day longer this time against the impossible odds. And when he does.. Win.

Also players have very different approaches and blood temperatures so to say. And I had this thought that maybe the solution isn't in finding the sweet spot. Because a sweet spot is only good for every player once.. when he is experienced enough for it and not too skilled for it.

I see that having way too many customization without any guideline is a maze in which players get lost, and they spend their playtime experimenting instead of enjoying the game. (We all seen those games where you start the n-th session hoping that it will be THE Session.. and finding out it is not)

But adding some more kind of "Advanced Zombie Options" might be good consisting: 

- Migration

- Overall number increase / decrease over time

- Beelining to player (one way or another.. metaevent frequency mayhaps or a straightforward scripted "coming after the scent of the living in the air")

- Emptiness handling (enforced homogenization of zombies or not at all)

- Magnetism (as in luring and grouping)

Something along these lines.. think these are mostly the important possibilities.

Or the worst case scenario is an interval timed event (2-3 months or 3-5 months eg.) called something like "Last Military Effort" or something which spawns multiple chopper sounds and starts fire in a few dozen locations throughout the urban areas. A last military attempt to contain the zombie outbreak.. and with it, dooming even that stubborn survivor in his 5 layer thick log fort with supplies for a century by burning his surroundings and attracting 1000 zombies to him.

You know.. just to make sure that EVERYBODY DIES in the end. ;)

TBH I just want to build a safehouse (benefit from all the possibilities the different professions offer) with a few others in MP and eventually I want zombies to tear it down.. so I am enforced to run yet again and start anew. Always being in danger.. just almost avoiding that one lethal mistake, for as long as I could.

To summarize up:

When you get a few bagful of tools and supplies and find a good place.. you need some skills in farming/trapping and carpenty and you are basically in the end game, capable of surviving indefinitly. You should never get there. The concept should be "okay we have a good situation now, let's use it the best we can UNTIL we can". Even more so in MP where you can't fast forward time.. so you can't wait half a year to die at long last. And the only thing to kill you is zombies.. randomized or scripted in small or big groups, dispersed or in hordes.. doesn't change the point. But they need to come to kill you.. and to threaten your base.. or bases. The HOW is important.. that gives the feel, but your chances of survival needs to drop with time drastically to a point where it outweights your skill, your luck, your friends, your safehouse, your supplies.

Actually the customization for the start condition is awesome, I mean really awesome. The characters and the approaches are very colorful as well. The whole game is detailed to the point of WTF in 2015. But I think the focus on endgame is missing (as in the prevention of endgame ;). You either die anyway by the starting conditions (no loot, sprinter zombies etc.) or you die of accidentally making a minor mistake. Should be able to die in a hopeless situation without making a mistake, after surviving a while.

Sorry about the long post, just trying to give my personal thoughts and different viewpoints.. hope it helps.

Edited by Vylon

The population changes linearly from Day Zero to the Peak Day.  After "Peak Day" the population stays at that number.

On day 14 of 28 the desired population will be 1/2 way between the start population and peak population.  That's just the target desired population, the number of zombies getting added to the world still depends on the respawn interval and percent.

Wait, so what's the point of "PopulationMultiplier" then? Are the other multipliers multiplying that multiplier or something?

So you can have zombies migrate to empty areas every day/week/month instead

This was mentioned before, but I second the guy who said "one day is too soon, a week is too long"... so it would be nice to have more options between them.

Wait, so what's the point of "PopulationMultiplier" then? Are the other multipliers multiplying that multiplier or something?

PopulationMultiplier is the same as the "Zombie Count" sandbox setting.

So you can have zombies migrate to empty areas every day/week/month instead

This was mentioned before, but I second the guy who said "one day is too soon, a week is too long"... so it would be nice to have more options between them.

Although I said day/week/month the config file lets you specify hours.

Spoiler

PopulationMultiplier=4.0

PopulationPeakDay=28

RespawnHours=24.0

RespawnUnseenHours=1.0

RespawnMultiplier=0.1

RedistributeHours=12.0

FollowSoundDistance=100

First of all I would like to say thank you for the work that you've done so far. I've been a little conflicted this whole week as I couldn't stand watching the system get downgraded for a reason that I didn't find justifiable. Now that the settings are there for us to tweak, I'll spend a while to find a near-perfect settings for survival, so they are more than challenging for newbies (as they should be), but not impossible or artificially hard for the skillful players.

Can we expect those save file options with next update, or are they already rolled in as a hotfix?

I've haven't added much randomness yet because I want to find "good" numbers for spawning/migrating first.  Otherwise everybody will have a different experience and the feedback won't be as helpful.  One person might randomly have a lot of zombies and another too few.  Once the numbers feel right then randomness can be added

Zombies are getting attracted to empty areas every hour which is too often.  Also, zombies can respawn in any area that hasn't been seen in the last hour, which is too short a time.  That's why "clearing an area" never seems to work.  Both of those times can be adjusted in the zombies.ini file.  So you can have zombies migrate to empty areas every day/week/month instead, and/or not respawn in any area you've visited in the last day/week/month for example.

The settings work in multiplayer as well; the server will have the same zombies.ini file.

Zombies smashing down windows/doors/carpentry for no reason:  I never liked that either.

And there is absolutely no "target the player's base" code anywhere.

One thing I'm worried about, there have been a few reports that huge numbers of zombies are giving people out-of-memory errors or performance problems.  So I'm starting to wonder if we need to limit the number of real zombies.  I don't know how that would work though.

So lets say i want to have normal zombies from the start which goes to insane*4 in 30 days.

I made Sandbox.cfg and Zombie.ini as a preset:

Sandbox.cfg

Sandbox Preset=Last GAME EVER

Version=1

Zombies=3

Distribution=1

DayLength=2

StartYear=4

StartMonth=7

StartDay=31

StartTime=2

WaterShutModifier=1

ElecShutModifier=7

FoodLoot=1

WeaponLoot=1

OtherLoot=1

Temperature=2

Rain=3

XpMultiplier=1.0

ErosionSpeed=4

Farming=3

NatureAbundance=3

PlantResilience=3

PlantAbundance=3

Alarm=3

LockedHouses=3

FoodRotSpeed=3

FridgeFactor=3

ZombiesRespawn=2

ZombiesRespawnPercent=2

LootRespawn=1

TimeSinceApo=3

EndRegen=3

StatsDecrease=3

StarterKit=true

Zombie Lore

Proper Zombies=false

Speed=2

Strength=2

Toughness=2

Decomp=4

Transmission=1

Reanimate=4

Mortality=2

Sight=2

Memory=2

Cognition=2

Hearing=2

Smell=2

Zombie.ini

PopulationMultiplier=4.0

PopulationStartMultiplier=0.3

PopulationPeakMultiplier=4.0

PopulationPeakDay=30

# Minimum=0.0 Maximum=8760.0 Default=24.0

RespawnHours=1.0

# Minimum=0.0 Maximum=8760.0 Default=6.0

RespawnUnseenHours=1.0

RespawnMultiplier=1.0

# Minimum=0.0 Maximum=8760.0 Default=6.0

RedistributeHours=1.0

FollowSoundDistance=1000

# The distance real zombies travel to form groups when idle.

# Minimum=5 Maximum=50 Default=20

RallyDistance=50

# The size of groups real zombies form when idle. Zero means zombies don't form groups.

# Minimum=0 Maximum=1000 Default=20

RallyGroupSize=250

# The duration in minutes of a zombie rally-point.

# The longer this is, the less often groups form.

# Minimum=5 Maximum=1440 Default=10

RallyDurationMinutes=10

Then I start up a new game with my sandbox.cfg and replace the zombie.ini from the save with mine?

Is that correct?

I have played on every mode possible with most every combination possible. I truely love this game and have been playing about three or four months after the robbery. I have enjoyed the most recent method of zombie respawning the most out of any version. I have a humble suggestion I feel would improve the game a great deal.

My suggestion is a randomly occuring seige event. The siege event I invision would be a horde of zombies approachs and surrounds the perameters of the structure. This approach in my mind should be signaled by an identifiedable noise so players can tell the proverbial poo is about to hit the proverbial fan, an unmatched collection of zombie roars perhaps? This signal to start the siege sound should also trigger full panic moodle and disadvantages.The zombies do not automatically start trying to break windows or barriers however they mearly swamp the area tightly around the building unless the people inside make noise. This gives the player victim of the siege the option to wait out the horde to slowly dissperse. Or battle the horde enmass to protect thier stronghold. The chance the siege should occure should happen even if you are far out in the woods for people who like to build big wooden castles.The programming could hypotheticaly (from an uneducated stand point) tell when you are safe and well stocked inside a structure. Every game day a remote chance of a seige could occure.

This addition to the game play would make every night you sleep successfuly without hearing that signal roar a blessing knowing you get to keep your stronghold or safehouse another night. It would also lend feelinga that are in many great zombie movies that are currently lacking in the game. The feeling of being underseige. of making the choice to bolt or trying to grab as much as you can first. The longling to get out and see the world once more as days and days drift by and your supplys dwindle and the zombies outside only patiently wait or breaking out the shotguns and molitovs to reclaim your lost land you once had to flee from. Also this addition would force the creation of advanced techniques like escape plans and multiple safe houses and stash posts which are really currently not nessicary for long term play but should be. I really feel it is a good idea and hope you feel the same.

I also think this would a great way to achieve a natural phenomenon that tweeking the population respawns could never quiet hit on its own without exceptional luck and also serve to fill in losely populated areas or once highly populated areas that have been cleared out.

So lets say i want to have normal zombies from the start which goes to insane*4 in 30 days.

I made Sandbox.cfg and Zombie.ini as a preset:

Sandbox.cfg

<snip>

Zombie.ini

<snip>

Then I start up a new game with my sandbox.cfg and replace the zombie.ini from the save with mine?

Is that correct?

Looks right.  You'll have to start the game, exit it (back to the main menu), then replace the zombies.ini file.  And then delete the zpop*.bin files before starting the game again.  In the future these settings will be in the Sandbox options.

I like the system so far,  I tried it on low zombies and they are still flocking nicely to my home or wherever i make noise I really like this.  I read up above about some kind of "sound Thermometer". That sounds very intresting indeed.   I also be cool to let a horde build up and come to your home or nearby position every set number of days  (it could be tweakable to turn on/off).  Thanks guys. (fedora)

First Picture                                                            Second Picture  

Settings                                                                   Settings

8 Months into Apocalypse                                    8 Months into Apocalypse

100% Respawn for Zombies per Day                    30% Respawn for Zombies per Day

Insane                                                                      Insane

I did not stand a chance with my implemented savegame with tons of weapons and ammo and a good place to fight.

Third Picture                                            

Settings                                                                  

10 Months into Apocalypse                              

10% Respawn for Zombies per Day             

Insane                                                                    

it was difficult but it was playable. it's hard to enter a safe-zone.

post-21865-0-04781000-1433924213_thumb.j

post-21865-0-34565200-1433924228_thumb.j

post-21865-0-29712200-1433958870_thumb.j