The Silver Lining of NPC Delays Etc

lemmy101

I can wait for the NPC's that's fine with me I can occupy myself with mods and that, I must say the thought of not having any more updates is, well, its a terrifying thought aint it. PlUS the NPC's give us something to look forward too after NPC's are added I think people will slowly lose interest. As for "hating you for dreaming of new adventures", well that's completely understandable. One life bro, live it.

Back in the day I used to make maps and campaigns for Warcraft 3, I had a simple rule for all my creations, either I complete them within a day or I never will, because I had a single problem, I started adding too much detail and polish, I could never appreciate what I created because there was always something I could add to make it better in my mind. A bush here, a tree there, details, details, details. Not to mention getting new quest ideas over time and trying to add that there too and then detailing that as well.

So if it wasn't done and published within the same day I trapped myself in the cycle of "Eternal polishishing and detailing" that could never end. The funny thing is, most of what I managed to release was liked and appreciated while the other stuff that I kept detailing and polishing... never came to see the light of day. Because my attention span eventually ran out before I finished the core experience.

I kinda feel like you guys have a similar problem.

That being said I have nothing but respect for what you do because I'd go insane if I had to work on a single thing for as long as you do. It's easy to tell that a lot of sweat and tears went into PZ, that and a fton of hear and soul, it's a truly great game that can only get better and it's impossible to be angry at people who made such a great zombie apocalypse experience. Not to mention the community you've created, this is the only forum I've ever been active on and it's a big part of why I love PZ and it's developers.

I wish you guys all the best and thanks for the update.

As different is the domain than from Svarog example, I can understand what he is saying. I used to (poorly, for purely amateurish reasons in a circle of friends) write and no matter how I enjoyed doing it and was really pleased to see people enjoy it as I did, after a few dozen pages, the sheer will it required of me to keep going increased tremendously, while, weirdly enough, the pleasure I had in doing it increased too.

So, saying all that, I can understand that compared to the will a novice, unpolished and totally unprofessional work that took maybe one or two hundred hours, required of me, the drive to work on such a complicated game - for it is to be said, project zomboid is quite ambitious as it features a crapton of diverse mechanics - must be pretty much life consuming (in a good way, but life consuming nonetheless.)

As a player, the best I can do is give you my most sincere cheering, and talk about the game to friends.

May the brains be with you.

I won't deny there's been an element of the NPCs needing to grow to fit the expectation. It's kind of unavoidable to an extent after such a delay. However, the truth of it is is that the NPC system we're building now is the NPCs we talked about in the really early days. We gave an example in really early interviews of a clumsy kid in your survivor group who keeps leaving doors open and making noise, and you finally choosing to take him out and put a bullet in his head, go back to the safehouse and claim they were got by zombies. Dark moral choices, deceit and safehouse politics. That in a nutshell described our vision for the NPCs, and instead we implemented a quite shoddy implementation that didn't really even register on the chart of where we wanted it to be. that was our attempt to get a version in there and expand and improve, and it was a disaster. rotten at its core because it was just implemented in a naive way, and needed ripping out. And it turned out the vision of NPCs we had early on was a big ask. Bigger than we imagined. Then people were confused as to why NPCs would be removed. You can't build on shaky foundations.

I've had to learn a lot to be able to reapproach the NPCs from scratch, built upon a proper framework. It's been a tough job expanding my knowledge to be up to tackling what the NPCs need to be to complete that early vision. It's why it's been difficult to give a time frame, since a lot of the work is pretty experimental. And it's difficult to find good resources/libraries on the subject on the internet (considering a search for behaviour trees on google yields an article about Zomboid's AI code as the first result ;) but hopefully this should inspire confidence too)

It'll take as long as it takes. I know enough to know it can be done. There's enough of the system there to be proof of concept x 1000. It's just very very ambitious and with a high bar it needs to be reach before it can go public.

Don't worry Lemmy, We know good things take time  :-D

PZ is truly a wonderful game and i'm so happy that you guys are trying everyday to make it even better 

but do take care of yourselves. It's always better to destress then burn out.

that being said, I'm so excited for 32.

I'm glad that i have a game that i rush to check on every morning.

I'm not the slightest disappointed, i feel like a kid waiting for christmas morning. (clyde)

I'm genuinely excited, now. Yes, I'm one of those impatient ones- but I try to limit my forum posts about NPCs and vehicles down to a bare minimum. Up till now, I've always been under the impression that NPCs were going to be... I don't know, the sort of NPCs you'd find in any game, and was not sure about the reason for the delay.

If the NPCs you guys are working on are truly one of the most ambitious in gaming history- then I am very excited.  8-)

Beware the hype train!

I've played manya game, typically triple A, that, one release day, sucked and were buggy.  They were rushed, and were terrible to begin with.  Assassin's creed unity is a good recent example.  From everything I heard about it's day one, it was the worst game ever.  Yes, they patched it.  Yes, they gave the people that bought it free games.  But it still hurt and ruined the gamers' trust for the creators.  As the old saying goes, haste makes waste.  Titanic is a physical example, but hey, that's another rant.

I'm glad you guys are taking your time.  I would rather, far more, to have to wait months or years for an amazing feature to come out, flawlessly, than for it to be rushed and be broken and horrible.  Plus, as people above have stated, the longer it takes, the more features can be fitted in before it's added.  (Personally, I'm just wanting to see what other survivors are going to try and kill me with, besides baseball bat-disguised weapons :P)

It's like Fallout 4.  Those of us who are hoping for it to someday be released (or even announced.  We can be hopeful.) would rather it be under wraps, and built to perfection, than for them to slap it together in a few days and call it good. If that happened, I would curl up in my bed and cry myself to sleep for a week.

I can name a fair list of things that are being pushed back, or not giving a release date, in gaming alone, so that the developers can make a better product  (Oculus rift and No man's sky are among those that I myself and looking forward to) .   All I can say is that for all of these, if Time = Quality, then I am willing to wait as long as it takes to get an amazing experience.

I'm ready to be wowed when your ready to wow me!

I joke a lot about how NPC's will never come out, sometimes forgetting this one piece of wisdom...

"developers are people too."

And so are teachers, doctors, engineers, music producers, etc.

I personally would like to agree with the statement that this is the most fleshed out NPC system in games I've seen to date. Kudos to the devs for their iron souls, unbeatable work ethic, stellar communication, and untouchable perseverance. The Project Zomboid developers and community have had a special place in the gaming part of my heart for awhile now. What does all this mean?

I don't care if I'm older than the Grand Wall of China and my balls sag to ground when the NPC's are released as long as I know the developers put their absolute best effort into creating them to be better than the best they can be, which I know they are doing right now. :D

Keep it up guys.

To be honest this video game's probably had more of an impact on me than is within realms of most people's understanding,especially considering I only play it. Having battled depression my entire life probably since I was like 8,I've had to find countless coping mechanisms, doubly so since almost none of my anti depressants helped. Zomboid became a very major one after I had seen robbaz do a let's play. It helps grant a serious sense of escapism, while escapism isn't exactly the best coping mechanism a reprieve from the existence of permanently having bipolar + depression is ecstasy after periods of bad mental health. Sorry for the person dump. Really glad yall are taking your time on npcs. Every member of the community worth their salt should definitely recognize why its takeing so long. Love all you developers, guys are rad as heck.