Operating system opinions!

With windows 10 around the corner here in a bit, I figured I would throw a thread on here to see what you guys think of the technical preview, or from what you've read about it.  What do you guys think of windows 10 so far?  Also, what operating system are you running, and how do you like it?

As far as me, I'm looking forward to windows 10.  I'm running windows 8.1 right now, and for gaming, I hate it so very very much.  The start menu will be a welcome thing, and I hope for goodness sake that the desktop runs as a 64 bit operating system.  (All my applications are installed as 32 bit versions, because of how windows 8 is set up.  meaning most of my ram is useless.)

Offtopic

Didn't windows 8 come out not too long ago? Now they are already about to release windows 10?Do you think they are trying to make windows 7 outdated o.o As a way to make profit.

But yes I think windows 10 has potential. Seeing as how it will combine the best parts of windows seven with the best parts of windows 8 :D

Didn't windows 8 come out not too long ago? Now they are already about to release windows 10?Do you think they are trying to make windows 7 outdated o.o As a way to make profit.

Windows 10 is going to be completely free for windows 8 and 7 users for 1 year, so it's not as much about profits.  Well, not on the sale of the operating system, anyways. 

They did release windows 8 not too long ago, about 2 years ago, I think.  But the thing is, consumers (like me!) hate it even more than we hated vista.  I honestly liked vista more than 8.  If Microsoft follows that same timeline as the vista to seven, then this should be a good one, considering how nice windows 7 was.

The only thing I like about Windows 8 is the fact that it can run apps (I only discovered this yesterday and only really plan to use it for that weird GTA V app where you can change your license plate) as I don't own a smartphone due to the fact that my cheap gas station phone is all I need. Haven't tried out Windows 10, but I did hear something interesting once regarding Microsoft OS, apparently it's called the Star Trek Curse.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StarTrekMovieCurse

Microsoft Windows has had the curse since Windows 3.1, at least when it comes to their major public releases. Windows 98, Windows XP, and Windows 7 have all been popular, while Windows 95, Windows ME, Windows Vista, and Windows 8 all made rather controversial changes, were unstable, or had other problems which made it difficult to recommend upgrading.

In oder of use:

Windows 98 - I liked it, it was simple and solid, never had problems with it.

Windows XP - Best Windows ever made.

Windows Vista - Almost threw my monitor out the window after BSOD nr 10 during installation, it got better but never good, it's a FAIL.

Windows 7 - It works, I use it, it's good for all my needs, a solid OS

Windows 8 - My GF has it, No thanks.

When I can't use Windows 7 anymore I'll just switch to some version of Linux, likely Ubuntu, especially since like it was said before, those systems will grow, Windows slowly becomes irrelevant and it's user friendliness and compatibility with most software are the only things that keep it alive nowadays.

All good. Windows, Mac, Linux. Might as well have them all.

Adapted to Windows 8.1 out of necessity to train the extended family on it and now like it. Oddly a good introduction to my Android phone . . . You will be assimilated .etc

Windows 10 is effectively Windows 7 replacing Vista.

I hate windows. It's horrible to use. Slow, bloaty, user-friendliness that hinders control, efficiency, and a horrible lack of customisation. Let alone, using a mouse is slow as balls. The M$ windows team can force me to gargle bin juice before I'll use their OS for anything but video games. I even feel bad using it for that.

Well, I can say this if nothing else.  Go to your settings and turn the mouse sensitivity up.  And if all your problems are like that, it probably is simply that you can't find the customization items!  (I'm just teasing you, so you know.)  As for me, everything I would ever want to customize, I can.

But the main reason I like windows is that they take a bit of a road less travelled.  They try to streamline the experience without taking too much control for the users.  For me, that's the reason I don't like the other two.  One does too much "Streamlining" and the other gives me far too much control, especially since I'm just an average user.  I don't know how to take my computer apart (to be fair, I'm on a laptop) and replace all of it, and it still work.  But as the old adage goes, to each his own.

I'll admit, I'm going to be getting a linux based machine in the future, so I can't hate on it too much.  I'm looking forward to getting a steambox.

Windows 10....needs a lot of work.

Microsoft called it "Almost Done" but it's actually not nearly finished.

The start menu is basically non-functional especially in build 10074. Add to this they added some weird "Alphabet Grouping to the start menu" and moved search to it's own button (seemingly breaking it entirely for some people). Additionally some things just cannot be customized when it seems they should be things pinned to start that can't be unpinned etc.

Of course I hate metro in it's entirety and would prefer it be stripped from the OS, I have a precision pointing device I've no need for big giant buttons.

Then there's the Adware / Spyware setup they have going for them embedding App "recommendations" throughout the operating system.

I won't move to Windows 10 unless there's a fully functioning, fully customizable start menu and an operating system that behaves the way it's expected to. Windows 10 is promising but right now it feels more like an infected/broken Windows 7.

Archived