Does banning actually work?

RichCoconut

Just wondering, because I'm on a whitelisted server and after banning them, they continue to return and spam the server. (Wish there was a mute command..) 

Does Ban/ IP Ban do anything? When I select it, it seems it brings up a weird command that doesn't have much to do with anything on banning. Or maybe I'm not understanding correctly. Just don't understand how people get banned on a whitelist server and manage to come back in 15 seconds or less. 

By whitelisted, you mean not an automatic whitelist?

Check the IPs in the user log. If they're changing, it's because they're using a proxy.

I'll have to look into this, because the server that I'm on is really getting hammered by this one player.. :-(

By whitelisted, you mean not an automatic whitelist?

Check the IPs in the user log. If they're changing, it's because they're using a proxy.

It's auto-whitelisted, but we made it that way because if someone gets banned, they aren't whitelisted anymore. But if they keep changing IP's I'm not sure if there's not much we can do.. :-(. I just kinda wish there was at least a mute. I can kick players off all day in order to let others have a great time. :razz:

*Meant to add this reply to the one above, I apologize for double posting.*

Yeah, turn off autowhitelisting so they can't keep making accounts. It means you'll manually have to add new username / password pairs, though. That's the only way  to prevent IP abuse.

Alternatively, you can ban an entire range in your firewall, if you have access to it.

I used EnigmaGrey's setup and it works, I'm using it as a backup when all else fails.

I've noticed that simply clicking "Ban" and "Ban IP" buttons on people do not work at all, they will not ban them but simply spit out an error message and kick the user from the server.

You need to manually type it in for this to work. It is the only way it will work. The buttons will not work. (Unless you use Kick/Godmode/Invisible) but with my experience the buttons don't work at all or 90% of the time they do not and spit out an error message. I am using Mac OS X on a Retina Macbook Pro at the current moment so it could be locked to just myself for whatever reason.

Works fine for me, oddly enough (twice by accident :oops:, once intentionally). The error might help if there's something one of the devs needs to fix. :)

Because the Retina display sets a higher DPI, it might be messing with hit boxes, though. Happens all the time with Windows 8 tablets.

Archived