[Help?] Wounds & Changing Bandages

Lexi

Okay, I apologize if I'm doing something wrong, here, but...

I recently picked Zomboid back up again after a few months hiatus. A lot has changed! I'm impressed with the updates, but a few things are bugging me a little, so I thought I'd talk about them here so that maybe someone could inform me as to if I'm simply not doing things right.

To put it bluntly, the new bandages system is extremely frustrating and time consuming. I sterilize a bunch of bandages, no big deal. I get a "scratch", which, to me sounds like an 'oops' ordeal, not a 'oh no, I'm going to lose an arm' ordeal. Keeping this in mind, I slap a sterile bandage on it and go about my survivalist life. No more than 3-5 minutes later, the bandage is dirty. So I'm thinking, okay... maybe they took a realism approach and fighting zombies is getting it "dirty" so quickly. Instead, I opt for simply looting houses and organizing stuff, etc. Things that wouldn't get my hands dirty, so to speak. 

Same problem. It's barely been 5 minutes (I'm talking real time, since I've no idea how long that is game-time-- my days are set to be an hour long) and I need to change the bandages again. Repeat this ordeal about 3+ more times on an infected wound- significantly less for one not infected. I will also note that I do not have zombification activated- i.e.: playable character will not get sick / infected / turn until dead, presumably. 

My problem with this is, well... no matter the wound, be it bite, scratch, infected or not; this is extremely annoying to me and not so realistic. I love zomboid and almost ALL its features, but this is the very first time I've ever been generally distraught about things. Thick skin (since it's been moved to the trait choice list) seems significantly less effective than it used to be, so I'm getting injured more often now than before when first starting a game. I've tried seeing if choosing first aid traits helps with needing to replace bandages SO often, but it doesn't.

Is this how it's intended to be? Or have I encountered some sort of bug? I really don't mind this new bandage feature, but the rate at which you need to replace the bandages really is frustrating and annoying; heaven forbid you've chosen the slow healer negative trait, which, don't even get me started. Biggest mistake ever, choosing that one with this new bandage system!

Any help would be much obliged. Is there a way to slow bleeding to stop bandages from getting dirty so often...? I'm using sterilized bandages... the real ones, not sheets or anything else. Not adhesives. Actual bandages.

I do understand that, but this is TOO excessive. It's completely ruining the fun of going out for me. I've never been so injured playing this game, and I have over 100 hours clocked... The amount I need to change these things is frustrating. Sure, I can sit at home, but even with fast healer I'm having to replace each bandage WELL over 3 times, and I'm wasting 30+ minutes of my time just to heal up all the wounds I have... :/ I used to get barely one or two scratches after playing with the same settings I play with now and things are very drastically different. This may be an attempt at realism, but it IS still just a game. One must take into consideration the effects this has on a game when all I can do is sit around changing bandages for a half hour until I can go out again possibly to just get more. I have thick skinned and I don't understand how I'm getting so wounded. I'm assuming blade / knife wielding was nerfed quite a bit or something, and that's fine, but man. I really don't want to spend this much time changing bandages... I'm going through them quicker than I'm going through any other supply in the game. :/ It's never been this bad before.

Yea bandages get dirty way too fast and it takes some time to replace them.

Whats the effect of having a dirty bandage ?

Infected wounds. Takes a bit longer to heal, not sure if it can cause you to turn but I would imagine if you have that turned on, you could.

Infected wounds. Takes a bit longer to heal, not sure if it can cause you to turn but I would imagine if you have that turned on, you could.

I don't think so, actually. I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive that infected wounds and the zombie infection work entirely independent from each other.

I don't think so, actually. I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive that infected wounds and the zombie infection work entirely independent from each other.

That could be very true, I honestly have no idea. I just assumed if it was an infected bite wound or something... I dunno, though! That might be a tad too OP / too easy to become a zombie / remove the point of treating a wound since you'd almost always wind up a zombie. So you're probably right. :)

Yep, dirty-wound infection and Zomboid Virus/Plague/Curse/Whatever infection are two entirely different things. Wounds that are left untreated or with a dirty bandage on for too long can become infected, which can make you sick and eventually kill you if left untreated. There is no treatment for Zombification other than death.

It really isn't necessary to sterilize your bandages unless the wound is already infected, and even then the value of doing so is debatable. They seem to get dirty just as quickly as a clean bandage, and just wastes your disinfectant / alcohol. Next time you have a wound that won't stop bleeding, try carrying a stack of 10+ ripped sheets, changing them out as they get dirty. Apply disinfectant directly to the wound and clean your stack of dirty bandages once a day.

Managing your wounds should be a bit of a hassle, in my opinion, as it gives value to avoiding the wound in the first place. Its easy to not think about consequences when you can just eat a med-pack and heal to 100% in a few seconds, but the costs become far heavier when you have to consider if the risk of getting cut and treating your wounds after crawling through a broken window is worth what you might find inside.

Yep, dirty-wound infection and Zomboid Virus/Plague/Curse/Whatever infection are two entirely different things. Wounds that are left untreated or with a dirty bandage on for too long can become infected, which can make you sick and eventually kill you if left untreated. There is no treatment for Zombification other than death.

It really isn't necessary to sterilize your bandages unless the wound is already infected, and even then the value of doing so is debatable. They seem to get dirty just as quickly as a clean bandage, and just wastes your disinfectant / alcohol. Next time you have a wound that won't stop bleeding, try carrying a stack of 10+ ripped sheets, changing them out as they get dirty. Apply disinfectant directly to the wound and clean your stack of dirty bandages once a day.

Managing your wounds should be a bit of a hassle, in my opinion, as it gives value to avoiding the wound in the first place. Its easy to not think about consequences when you can just eat a med-pack and heal to 100% in a few seconds, but the costs become far heavier when you have to consider if the risk of getting cut and treating your wounds after crawling through a broken window is worth what you might find inside.

I agree with you 100%, but how much hassle is really worth it? I do want a challenge, but the amount of bandage changing required is excessive and not challenging as it is annoying. I can't help but notice getting wounds is A LOT easier in comparison to what it once was, and getting more points in guard and everything (especially when playing with blades) helps a lot more. It's just beginning game that is so very frustrating because you get about a billion wounds. It's inevitable if you don't have a longer range weapon like the axe.

Also, I read somewhere that you can bind bleeding wounds with a needle and thread to stop the bleeding, thus have a cleaner bandage for longer. Can anyone confirm this? I don't feel like going out to get a wound just to find out. :P

It's just beginning game that is so very frustrating because you get about a billion wounds. It's inevitable if you don't have a longer range weapon like the axe.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask, where are you getting all the wounds from? I've never had a problem where I get too many wounds. Maybe you're being a tad recless? ;)

Let me put things into a bit of perspective. An Army field dressing (bandage) holds 1 pint of blood. This is what the game means it's not dirty its just absorbed your blood b and is now useless .you have to put another one on. If it persists Check you haven't got a gash which you will need to stitch shut (but that's a different thread). Dirty is the best single word you can use.

ps so if you have used 6 bandages you have lost 6 pints of blood or there about that's why your are probably in a critical condition.

It's just beginning game that is so very frustrating because you get about a billion wounds. It's inevitable if you don't have a longer range weapon like the axe.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask, where are you getting all the wounds from? I've never had a problem where I get too many wounds. Maybe you're being a tad recless? ;)

Haven't played recklessly before, and I'm not doing it now. :) I play on high pop zombies, though. I dunno. I always played on high pop, now suddenly I have a billion wounds. I always played as the carpenter or whichever it was that gave you handy and thick skin I think it was? But now since it's moved to the choosable trait window it just feels... idk. Not as strong?

Let me put things into a bit of perspective. An Army field dressing (bandage) holds 1 pint of blood. This is what the game means it's not dirty its just absorbed your blood b and is now useless .you have to put another one on. If it persists Check you haven't got a gash which you will need to stitch shut (but that's a different thread). Dirty is the best single word you can use.

ps so if you have used 6 bandages you have lost 6 pints of blood or there about that's why your are probably in a critical condition.

So you CAN stitch things? And there is a difference between scratch and gash? Because I've gotten quite a few scratches but never read any one of them that said "gash." I just think that changing bandages about 10 times for one scratch in such a small amount of time doesn't seem right. Call it realism or whatever, but it really puts a damper on the gameplay for me, and I swear I'm being CAREFUL. x_x

Things are a -bit- better off for me now that my blade guard is higher, but, still. It's more than a little tough to survive the beginning of that when leveling it up. Considering my zombies settings are a bit weaker (albeit still high pop) and I have tough skin and all and have never had this problem before, I didn't think it would be this bad.

Haven't played recklessly before, and I'm not doing it now. :) I play on high pop zombies, though. I dunno. I always played on high pop, now suddenly I have a billion wounds. I always played as the carpenter or whichever it was that gave you handy and thick skin I think it was? But now since it's moved to the choosable trait window it just feels... idk. Not as strong?

From my point of view, the moment you allow a zombie to attack you-punch, potentially scratch or bite, you're playing recklessly. Do you climb through a lot of broken windows? They have a chance to scratch you.

From my point of view, the moment you allow a zombie to attack you-punch, potentially scratch or bite, you're playing recklessly. Do you climb through a lot of broken windows? They have a chance to scratch you.

It's kind of difficult to avoid when you're leveling your blade skill with a knife, is all. But no, I know windows can scratch you. That's not it. 

When bandage absorbed too much blood add another layer. Never remove it !!!( life protip)

When bandage absorbed too much blood add another layer. Never remove it !!!( life protip)

You can do this? :o

Or is troll being troll?

You can't put on another bandage without taking the last one off in-game, no. And in real-life, that sounds like a really easy way to get an infection...

In real-life you probably try to keep bandage clean, and its really hard to get infection when bandage is properly wrapped

The point is that changing your bandage every 3 minutes is not fun

And it's not realistic. Noone changes bandages several times a day. Once maybe...

Edith thinks, if it gets soaked that fast, you missed a step before bandaging or did something wrong while bandaging (irl).

Thank you! That is the point I was trying to make. :)

So after a little more talking about this to people, deep wounds don't read as "deep wounds" but are simply acknowledged as "deep wounds" if your bite or scratch is bleeding. If the wound is bleeding, you can sew it up. 

Can anyone confirm? Because if that makes it less time consuming to continually bandage yourself, that'd be great and I can understand that, at least. It just seems that the chance of getting a deep wound vs a bite or a scratch that DOESN'T bleed is, well... highly unlikely. And the pain (with pain killers or not-- they don't seem to do much for my character in general) seems to take my health down even if I'm not bleeding so I end up having to bandage it up even if it's NOT bleeding.

I suppose I just don't really understand how this new wound system works entirely. xD