A Few 3D Models for Project Zomboid

WolfeClaw

Do you think that perhaps an item that has fourth-fifth the size of the crowbar has more polygons than the crowbar itself? :P

I'm talking about a 4x scope, which is most likely going to be the size of 3-5 pixels on closest zoom level.

Overall, amazing work, I love what you're doing with it so far :) 

Do you think that perhaps an item that has fourth-fifth the size of the crowbar has more polygons than the crowbar itself? :P

I'm talking about a 4x scope, which is most likely going to be the size of 3-5 pixels on closest zoom level.

You know, they might actually make the models a bit more HD after seeing these kind of things go viral...

Yeah, I keep telling myself that these things are too detailed, but in all honesty, most of the vanilla models are way too high poly and unnecessarily so in terms of correct 3D topology. The rifle with all attachments (Yes, both scopes), crowbar and rolling pin are 739 tris altogether. The vanilla shotgun alone is 601 tris, making everything I've made here almost as optimized as a single weapon, heh.

And thank you, I really appreciate that! 

ac5258d755.png

Slouched beanie & sunglasses.

Maybe one day. 

EDIT:

7f53347622.png

Now with Cargo trousers in DPM camouflage. These will be released shortly, perhaps in a small pack of clothing and other items. Who knows, they may be of use at some point in development.

EDIT AGAIN:

e01f6522d5.png

Using the vanilla shirt as a base to start work on a hoodie. Hopefully if I'm not lazy there'll be a 2 variations of this; one with the hood up and the other with it down.

EDIT YET AGAIN:

02223b28f8.png

8b576d4e0e.png

Finished the hoodie. Worth noting I have no idea how to do the weight/rig stuff, so I'm afraid I'll have to leave that up to whoever downloads this stuff. (OP Updated)

I'm going to start working on the varmint rifle (as soon as I find a 5 round .223 rifle that isn't magazine fed to match the in-game one), but in the mean time, feel free to request things since I'm pretty much running out of ideas.

EDIT:

Actually, I completely forgot I made new shotgun models, I think I'll finish those off real quick. The vanilla shotgun was around 600 tris, and I've trimmed it down to around 300 - 400. Haven't checked in a while, but regardless it should help those with worse computers.

Ever so slightly.

I'll finish up my current list of icons for the Hydrocraft mod and I'll get right on them.  :D

EDIT:

Sod it, at first I was going to make the laser sight and have it just be an addition of the pre-existing 1282 texture, but I'm just going to re-make the handgun as a 322.

EDIT AGAIN:

I love my title.

There's some amazing stuff going on in this thread! <3 very exciting to see more 3D mods. Was cool to meet you!

Thanks a bunch! Means a lot, really. And great meeting you as well!  :)

Now if only I could fix this slight issue...

z5Nti4.jpg

it3eD6.jpg

And for whatever reason the barrel looks brown, but there's nothing seemingly wrong with the UV's since the stock and such is correct. All of the mystery~

There's some amazing stuff going on in this thread! <3 very exciting to see more 3D mods. Was cool to meet you!

Thanks a bunch! Means a lot, really. :)

z5Nti4.jpg

it3eD6.jpg

And for whatever reason the barrel looks brown, but there's nothing seemingly wrong with the UV's since the stock and such is correct. All of the mystery~

This could be a problem with my script, however it's really hard to say because:

1) the render size of the gun is really really small

2) I don't know if this could be some unknown limitation currently for UV map & texture modding.

Thanks a bunch! Means a lot, really. :)

-snip-

This could be a problem with my script, however it's really hard to say because:

1) the render size of the gun is really really small

2) I don't know if this could be some unknown limitation currently for UV map & texture modding.

I'll do some tests with other weapons and such to see what happens. What I did try with the shotgun model is rotating it to try and fix the problem, but despite that, the model didn't even change in-game.

I'll tinker with it.  <_<

Ok, this is how I've been doing things for the weapons.

1. Reference and model the weapon in Maya

2. UV & texture

3. Go into Blender and import a PZ weapon for size and rotation reference

4. Match the models up in Maya, then delete the PZ weapon

5. Export my new weapon as .obj

6. Import into Blender and rename everything appropriately

7. Ensure textures are linked up and working

8. Select my object export as 'weapons_whateveritis'

9. Backup weapon I'm replacing on desktop

10. Stick my script-generated model in it's place

Anything fishy about that process? I've had 3 different outcomes with this so far, those being:

1. My Hunting Rifle replacing Vanilla Hunting Rifle (VanillaShotgun) - No model visible 

2. Custom Shotgun replacing Vanilla Shotgun - Rotation incorrect, seemingly rotated by the pivot 90 degrees on X Axis

3. Custom Rolling Pin replacing Vanilla Rolling Pin - Standard baseball bat model visible, no change.

It seems as though the only thing that is working for people right now is editing the vanilla models directly, but at the same time, my shotgun model is basically just the vanilla one but cleaned up and re-textured. Maybe it's custom textures? Regardless, I've got to get to college.  :P

I wanted to see if the problem was still apparent with custom handgun models, so with a quick lesson in US firearms from ORMtnMan I quickly modelled a Glock 23 to replace the vanilla handgun.

b8f0b9f81d.png

I wanted to keep it under 250 tris, so it now sits comfortably at 238 tris. 

I haven't even unwrapped this yet to prepare for texturing, I just went ahead and threw it in-game to check the orientation and...

70ac390221.jpg

*sigh*

So, what happens if you manually try to correct for the game's weird habit of flipping/mirroring things at random?

By rotating it manually in the way that you'd expect would fix it? Absolutely nothing. 

It seems as though when importing models, they just point upwards regardless of the orientation that you exported them as. It's weird.