10 levels

Sadeyx

I still cant find any dev comment about how exactly the new '10 skill levels' instead of 5 has been implemented!

So I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else knows yet

Have the 5 levels been broken up into 10 levels or are there 5 additional levels?...   Or should I ask, does it require the same amount of XP to hit level 10 as level 5, or is there now 5 'Extra' Levels?

How do skill books now work?  Previously there was a skill book for each level, 1,2,3,4 & 5,  do they still work this way meaning there are no more books after level 5, or does each book now work for two levels each?

Levels at which If previously cooking level 4 alowed you to use rotton meat, is it still level 4, or can we assume its just doubled to level 8?  Same for all other recipes.

I still cant find any dev comment about how exactly the new '10 skill levels' instead of 5 has been implemented!

So I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else knows yet

Have the 5 levels been broken up into 10 levels or are there 5 additional levels?...   Or should I ask, does it require the same amount of XP to hit level 10 as level 5, or is there now 5 'Extra' Levels?

How do skill books now work?  Previously there was a skill book for each level, 1,2,3,4 & 5,  do they still work this way meaning there are no more books after level 5, or does each book now work for two levels each?

Levels at which If previously cooking level 4 alowed you to use rotton meat, is it still level 4, or can we assume its just doubled to level 8?  Same for all other recipes.

In the case of foraging, it doubled. So basically if you had level 5 before, its now equal to 2.5.

While having extra levels is nice, in most cases it feels like too much because currently there are a lot of "dead" levels (specifically foraging, where no new items are discovered at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 10).

I imagine cooking will now take 8 and 10 respectively for preservation, and good luck getting there since the books will only take you to 5.

I honestly think that unless there is going to be a ton of content introduced for each skill to justify grinding to level 10 this thing is not going to stick around for long. Like some seriously specialized crafting like, oh, idk, ability to make abrosia with level 10 cooking and discovering a cure on level 10 first aid. I really don't get why it was broken up like this as it cheapens starting profession skill boost to the point where the best profession is unemployed with a few hobbies.

I honestly think that unless there is going to be a ton of content introduced for each skill to justify grinding to level 10 this thing is not going to stick around for long. Like some seriously specialized crafting like, oh, idk, ability to make abrosia with level 10 cooking and discovering a cure on level 10 first aid. I really don't get why it was broken up like this as it cheapens starting profession skill boost to the point where the best profession is unemployed with a few hobbies.

Because most people play for more than a few in-game weeks and still want to feel some sense of accomplishment. The 5-skill system was rapidly depleted and rendered pointless itself.

Because most people play for more than a few in-game weeks and still want to feel some sense of accomplishment. The 5-skill system was rapidly depleted and rendered pointless itself.

Huh, and I thought that actually being able to survive more than a few weeks was an accomplishment in and of itself. Also, what I don't really believe that simply increasing the amount of skill levels will bring anyone any sense of accomplishment, well, maybe in MP which is something I don't even touch. In singleplayer it just walls off things we already had and adds nothing new to obtain.

I guess I could just slap an XP modifier in sandbox and play like I used to but that removes what little sense of accomplishment I would have from getting higher skill levels. (Because Cheating)

Adding 5 skill levels without having those skill levels bring new possibilities, crafting, strategies etc. is just an artificial way to turn what was mid-game into end-game. Also, I did read mondoids, I know more crafting is coming, specialized crafting at that but without it being in now I don't see the point of additional skill levels.

Also I'll say it again, leveling certain skills to 5 was nearly impossible without XP modifiers 6 months into, how does having 5 more levels of sprinting help anyone? Or foraging?

there are a lot of "dead" levels (specifically foraging, where no new items are discovered at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 10).

If anything, that is a problem with skills, and it was even before this update, new levels only really mean anything with carpentry, gardening and few others, the rest don't really change much and now that is doubled.

Nah scaling to level 10 so good. The only thing that was missed is old book system. They only "work" to level 5. Just make each book to give XP boost for 2 levels and it will be fine again.

The new system might look a bit weird but i hope build 32 will cover that.

Huh, and I thought that actually being able to survive more than a few weeks was an accomplishment in and of itself. Also, what I don't really believe that simply increasing the amount of skill levels will bring anyone any sense of accomplishment, well, maybe in MP which is something I don't even touch. In singleplayer it just walls off things we already had and adds nothing new to obtain.

I guess I could just slap an XP modifier in sandbox and play like I used to but that removes what little sense of accomplishment I would have from getting higher skill levels. (Because Cheating)

Adding 5 skill levels without having those skill levels bring new possibilities, crafting, strategies etc. is just an artificial way to turn what was mid-game into end-game. Also, I did read mondoids, I know more crafting is coming, specialized crafting at that but without it being in now I don't see the point of additional skill levels.

If anything, that is a problem with skills, and it was even before this update, new levels only really mean anything with carpentry, gardening and few others, the rest don't really change much and now that is doubled.

This new build is mostly for MP, more than SP, you know, for role-playing...

For SP priorities haven't changed much.

The "mistake" there is to believe diluting skills will help longevity of this game, while it's the increasing difficulty (or at least a costant threat) over time that will give skills a sense instead. I mean, I just ask myself this question: ok, I have maxed-out skills, now what?  (and that's why, in general I would go for permanent traits  instead of initial advantage like a +1 skill or xp boost in general).

At the moment PZ is over way before that and that's a fact.

Good thing is it won't be complicated for them to add more (crafting, gardening, farming, whatever they want) at this point.

So while it's useless (and broken) now, at least it has potential, let's hope of for tons of content...

*Please don't tell me "Early Access" , because I know devs are going to work on that, fact is we can't discuss the game as it will be 2 years from now. Well, if devs want to talk about that with me or us, I would be more than happy to join that discussion :) *

This new build is mostly for MP, more than SP, you know, for role-playing...

For SP priorities haven't changed much.

The "mistake" there is to believe diluting skills will help longevity of this game, while it's the increasing difficulty (or at least a costant threat) over time that will give skills a sense instead. I mean, I just ask myself this question: ok, I have maxed-out skills, now what?  (and that's why, in general I would go for permanent traits  instead of initial advantage like a +1 skill or xp boost in general).

At the moment PZ is over way before that and that's a fact.

Good thing is it won't be complicated for them to add more (crafting, gardening, farming, whatever they want) at this point.

So while it's useless (and broken) now, at least it has potential, let's hope of for tons of content...

*Please don't tell me "Early Access" , because I know devs are going to work on that, fact is we can't discuss the game as it will be 2 years from now. Well, if devs want to talk about that with me or us, I would be more than happy to join that discussion :) *

Yeah well, I guess when you look at it as a platform for adding skill based stuff then it makes more sense. I am a bit harsh but that's mostly because I'm singleplayer only, also because of that I have a mixed reaction to this update, while it takes away the need to grind all characters from the start with awesome traits it cheapens that a ton by adding 5 skill levels. I get that from a MP angle, it makes sense, balance and whatnot but in SP it just does not cut it. There is not enough content to justify it if you ask me.

But whatever, I'll cease complaining since I'm in a tiny minority of people who can not get any enjoyment out of MP, use an XP modifier or mod in a few skillbooks and survive.

Also, I think the update in general is good, traits needed fixing, they felt like a placeholder. It's just this one thing I don't understand\agree with but hey, I can (and will) mod it out.

Yeah well, I guess when you look at it as a platform for adding skill based stuff then it makes more sense. I am a bit harsh but that's mostly because I'm singleplayer only, also because of that I have a mixed reaction to this update, while it takes away the need to grind all characters from the start with awesome traits it cheapens that a ton by adding 5 skill levels. I get that from a MP angle, it makes sense, balance and whatnot but in SP it just does not cut it. There is not enough content to justify it if you ask me.

But whatever, I'll cease complaining since I'm in a tiny minority of people who can not get any enjoyment out of MP, use an XP modifier or mod in a few skillbooks and survive.

Also, I think the update in general is good, traits needed fixing, they felt like a placeholder. It's just this one thing I don't understand\agree with but hey, I can (and will) mod it out.

Wait wait wait, I agree with you :)

I am a singleplayer person as well, but it was clear from the beginning it was mostly for MP...That's what I meant, I am not surprised or disappointed because I knew what to expect from this build.

As I said they just stretched it and didn't touch the rest, that doesn't mean they won't in the future, at least that's what I hope.

Actually it's so "big" they cannot leave it that way...

Leaving it that way would just a cheap way to buy some time and I am sure devs are better than that.

OFF-TOPIC

I am currently playing survival and everything looks the same: very very easy at the beginning; we'll see the rest.

Zombies are no threat as usual, well if you can outrun them with 0 sprinting and deal with them with just a little trait...

Grindfest or not, that is what worries me the most.

Wait wait wait, I agree with you :)

I am a singleplayer person as well, but it was clear from the beginning it was mostly for MP...That's what I meant, I am not surprised or disappointed because I knew what to expect from this build.

As I said they just stretched it and didn't touch the rest, that doesn't mean they won't in the future, at least that's what I hope.

Actually it's so "big" they cannot leave it that way...

Leaving it that way would just a cheap way to buy some time and I am sure devs are better than that.

OFF-TOPIC

I am currently playing survival and everything looks the same: very very easy at the beginning; we'll see the rest.

Zombies are no threat as usual, well if you can outrun them with 0 sprinting and deal with them with just a little trait...

Grindfest or not, that is what worries me the most.

Well the only real update left that will be truly for SP are NPCs, with that in mind, every update that's MP oriented will eventually have to work in SP but by the time we see a living, breathing NPC there probably won't be issues like this one :P

I can finally play with running zombies now that I can start with a few traits that actually make it not impossible to leave home and get mauled to death on your first hour, this I like the most about Build 31 (seriously, I can't play with shamblers anymore).

Also my "I'll stop complaining" was not in response to your post but more of a general disclaimer :P

As for game being a grindfest.... in SP it most definitely will be if you're looking to survive long term, plenty of skills that are going to be helpful\needed for that. As has been said, this update is pretty much built from ground up to encourage teamwork meaning lone wolfs are somewhat screwed long term.

I guess we'll see how things progress from here, there probably is tons of Build 31.XX coming.

Edit: Hell they already fixed the skill books so... I'll definitely stop complaining :P

Also my "I'll stop complaining" was not in response to your post but more of a general disclaimer :P

eheh, yes, sure, that's the sense I got from your words and I know I am not that important  :lol:

I just meant to express my support: a "keep complaining, please" didn't sound right!

For the rest, we'll see.

Yes if its the existing 5 levels broken down into 10, I'm fine with it.  Its more managable especially now with the new leveling system and as someone stated, you getter a better sense of progression.

While I suppose the typical player would automatically look to see what they physically gain from progressing a level, they maybe disapointed to find that there arnt any yet.  But there is now room for growth and with the devs talking about tons of new recipes and items coming in I imagine they will be filled up eventually.

People complained skills were boring. It's been changed and already people are complaining about empty levels. Things take time, we just have to wait. If they held back the skills overhaul until they had all extra recipes ready, we'd be waiting a while longer. Just be patient and enjoy the new features or test for bugs.

Archived