Game freezing issue

Nahkuri

Question

Hello, new member here. I'm Nahkuri, part time drunk and full time useless person.

Started playing PZ with my buddies early this year, and it's great fun. We dropped it, but recently started playing again, and I've run into an issue that wasn't there previously.

So after joining my friend's server, the game always starts acting up anywhere between 5-60 minutes in. What happens is my screen freezes, then goes black, and my whole computer gets all sluggish. I have to ctr+alt+del and use the task manager to shut the game down. This is pretty annoying since I remain in the game as long as it's running, which can be pretty lethal when fleeing from a horde of zombers. If I restart PZ and rejoin, it doesn't seem to happen again.

Curiously, my computer seems to remain less than fully functional after the game freezes and I shut it down with the task manager. I've just had this happen, and pressing Ctrl+alt+del now freezes my screen for 5 seconds before it goes to the menu.

This issue has occurred both in the current IWBUMS version and the previous 'regular' version. I don't know if it happens in SP, as I don't really play that at all.

Cheers for any help.

Specs:

AMD FX-6350 Six-Core Processor  ~3.9GHz

8GB DDR3
Radeon HD-7790
Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit

14 answers to this question

Nope, I didn't. So I tried uninstalled the game again, this time making sure that folder ceased to exist before reinstalling. I thought at first it might've fixed the issue since I managed to play a whopping 28 minutes without incident, which was quite a bit longer than the last 5+ times it'd happened, but no. Alas, the problem is still present.

It sounds like you might have a hardware problem as EG says. If you've shut down the game (and it appears nowhere in Task Manager) and your computer is still acting up, that's an outside problem. Do you have a game performance booster installed or anything like that? Those can cause a lot of problems from time to time.

I've installed nothing of the sort. I did have MSI afterburner for a while but it made my computer crash so I got rid of it.

It only ever happens with PZ. My other, most demanding games, Lords of the Fallen, Far Cry 4 and Arma 3 all work just fine.

Most demanding is a very relative term. Just because those are very graphics intensive doesn't necessarily mean they are as big a strain on all parts of your hardware. PZ is very CPU heavy, while those games are far more GPU heavy. But like I said- if there's no PZ processes in Task Manager, it's not a problem with the game. It can't hurt your computer while no part of it is running.

Not sure if I'd call Arma 3 very lightweight on the CPU demand department either. Certainly wasn't the case in the previous installments of the series. I managed to get PZ run on my folks' craptop too, which has the processing power of a wet paper towel. It ran very poorly(E: while still playable), but it was stable.

I wonder how I should go about locating the source of the problem? It only happens in PZ and seemingly at random. Last few times have been in areas rather busy with zombies, but it has happened many times in/near my online group's base, which has no zombie anywhere near since we killed them all.

Arma 3 is very CPU intensive yeah, but it is also very single thread-bound, possibly more than PZ. Compare the CPU's usage of multiple cores (and temperatures) between Arma 3 and PZ, it may be PZ stresses multiple cores better than Arma 3, which could lead to temperature- or similar related stability issues. Otherwise, no ideas.

Just tried the sandbox mode. Problem occurs in SP as well. I managed to loot the house I spawned in and walk 10 meters after going outside. I decided to wait and see what would happen, and turns out the game freezes and shows the a black screen for some 10-20 seconds and then throws me to the desktop. The PZ console had been spamming either "end" or "stop." Trying to go back to the game just resulted in a "Project Zomboid has stopped working" message.

What's weird is that the game used to run just fine. I'd play for hours and hours per session with my friends and I had 0 problems. Only thing I've really done with my computer since last time I was actively playing is that I've ugpraded my display drivers. Also, why does the game run just fine after it's frozen/crashed once and I restart it while my computer's in slowmo? Very peculiar.

I'm gonna try removing the local files and reinstalling the game and see if that does anything.

EDIT: Nope, no luck. Managed to get about 7-10 minutes of gameplay before it crashed.

EDIT#2: Also, after giving some other games a go after the PZ crash, it doesn't seem my computer is running any slower than it usually does. For example the FPS in LotF, which in its current state is probably the heaviest game I own, was the same as ever. Windows just seems to be reacting slowly to ctrl+alt+del and alt+tab and the like.

Archived