Dry Towels v7.0

valrix

This mod allows you to finally use those wet towels and dish cloths after drying yourself. With it, you can dry it out, or wring it into an empty or dirty water-filled container and use a heat source to purify it, unless you don't mind getting a bit sick of course.

DryTowelsExample.png

Downloads:

Latest Version

Previous Versions:

Version 6.3

The following versions are compatible with Build 30:

Version 6.2

Version 6.1

Version 6.0

Version 5.1

Version 5.0

Version 4.0

Changelog:

v7.0
- Fixed timing with drying off.
- Added localization support.

v6.3
- Migrated dirty water to native tainted water. (Drastically reduced code size, ~724 KB!)
- Added TinyAVC support.
- Removed purification by bleach.

v6.2
- Fixed duplicating dirty water containers when removed from a heat source.
- Reduced the amount of water gained by drying off.
- Fixed "cooked" water having an incorrect amount.

v6.1
- Dry towels are now single-use and wet towels can be used again until water-logged.
- Fixed bug where dry towels showed the wet towel recipe.
- Fixed bug where some items couldn't be used from inside bags.
- Fixed Dirty Whiskey Bottle not "cooking" correctly.
- Improved/fixed towel water capacities.
- Dirty water is now dirtier.
- Performance improvements.

v6.0
- Dirty water can now be boiled!
- Updated file structure to fix missing item icons.

v5.1
- Fixed towels disappearing when being dried.

v5.0
- Towels are now wrung out as much as possible instead of one use at a time.
- Water wrung from towels is now dirty and must be purified with bleach, otherwise it'll make you a little sick.
- Added sounds!

v4.1
- "Wring Into" option no longer shows up when there are no available containers.

v4.0
- Removed towel wringing recipes and added a right-click option to wring into an available container of your choice. This should include non-vanilla (mod) items.

v3.1
- Fixed adding water to filled containers.

v3.0
- Towels and cloths now carry different amounts of water and weights of each have been balanced.

v2.0
- Added ability to "Wring Wet Towels" into water containers (bottles, mugs, pots...)

v1.0
- Added ability to "Dry Towels"

Translation Support:

ContextMenu_EN.txt

ContextMenu_EN = {    ContextMenu_Wring_into = "Wring into",} 

UI_EN.txt

UI_EN = {    UI_Wringing_out = "Wringing out",    UI_Wringing_into = "Wringing into",} 

Compatibility Issues:

This Mod overrides the ISDryMyself.lua core file. Any incompatible Mods will be listed below:

- No known incompatibilities.

*NOTICE*

Since Saranis has been gone for a very long time, I'm making this thread to keep it up-to-date with the progress of the mod. Original Thread

I really like the idea.

But there are only positive effects.

what about that the towels get moldy because you cant cant wring it 100% dry every time ?

what about to make an clothesline to hang the rest of the towels on to make them 100% dry you can boost it with an campfire.

what about an water filter from shredded stones,sand and coffefilter in an empty bottle.

because after make this a plenty times with the same towel the water can get poised

and you must think of rain water container that we can only craft on lever 2 or 4 there get useless when you has enough towels.

I really like the idea.

My cheap and cheerful solution was to change the "drying out" time by a factor of about 8x. (From 300 to 2250)

So it takes roughly forty minutes in-game time on the default speed, as I felt was more realistic and also balanced (as its still about 50% shorter than just waiting to air-dry, but you have to stay immobile or it resets, meaning you need to be safe.)

As much as I want to increase the timer more to make it realistic, it just wasn't fun, as you couldn't do anything else for the duration.

I would think a towel rack mod would be the next step, so the dry time can be increased to half a day, but still leave the player free to do other actions.

Another solution may be the option to dry towels out in the oven?

I really like the idea.

The original mod only allowed drying out the towels and wringing clean water into containers, pure positives there. I added the negative of dirty water that makes you decently sick unless you find bleach and purify it. I made sure that drinking more than the smallest amount of dirty water makes you violently ill and in the next update will additionally poison you a bit as well (there's an update giving access to setPoisonLevel() that I need). The poison will hurt you a bit more and makes it take longer for the effects of sickness to go away.

I would think a towel rack mod would be the next step, so the dry time can be increased to half a day, but still leave the player free to do other actions.

Another solution may be the option to dry towels out in the oven?

My only problem with using world items to dry the towels is that I want to avoid the feeling of "playing house" during a zombie apocalypse, thus the gritty "wring it out and run" method in place now. Even though I do admit I kind of love the idea of tossing a bunch of wet towels and clothes into the dryer for an hour and getting a slight happiness boost for warm clothes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is really not a good idea to "purify" water with bleach boiling it would be a better option.

Bleach is perfectly safe in minuscule amounts and actually works amazingly as a water purifier due to the very small bleach to water ratio (~1:1000 ml); moreover, PZ doesn't have a system to allow heating of non-food items. I haven't had a chance to test out recent changes to cooking, though.

Afternoon Valrix.

I don't suppose there's any chance of expanding this slightly? Would be fantastic to see wet towels clean up blood stains in-game.

Cheers!

This is a bit beyond the scope of this project. There is another mod that allows for cleaning up blood, though.

It is really not a good idea to "purify" water with bleach boiling it would be a better option.

There is a lot of room to screw things up by using the Bleach method of purifying water :P and even if you do the process perfectly every time (which also includes having the water-bleach mix to be at a specific temperature) you can still only drink so much of it. I think drinking this kind of purified water for longer than a month would really start damaging your system.

But hey, for what it was given to them I think they did a great job with the mod :) while also giving that Bleach bottle one more use :P

I say Kudos and Cheers!

Guest Styxx42

Great Mod

Thanks for making it.

I also can confirm that towels disappear after being wrung out on LAN MPlayer game.  

But not all players loose their towels.

This water is dirty.  Here, pour some bleach in it, that'll make it drinkable.   :-|

I lol'd.

Well, the CDC recommends it:

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/emergency/09_202278-B_Make_Water_Safe_Flyer_508.pdf

As does the Washington Department of Health:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/EmergencyPreparednessandResponse/Factsheets/WaterPurification

v5.1 Update:

I fixed the issue of towels disappearing when being dried. There's still an odd bug of dry towels having the recipe of a wet towel, but I can't seem to find the cause. It hasn't been tested in MP yet, but the fix should work there as well. If any more bugs are found, please let me know.  :mrgreen:

Edit: Surprise v6 update:

- Dirty water can now be boiled!

- Updated file structure to fix missing item icons.

• 5 weeks later...

v6.1 Update:

- Dry towels are now single-use and wet towels can be used again until water-logged.

- Fixed bug where dry towels showed the wet towel recipe.

- Fixed bug where some items couldn't be used from inside bags.

- Fixed Dirty Whiskey Bottle not "cooking" correctly.

- Improved/fixed towel water capacities.

- Dirty water is now dirtier.

- Performance improvements.

Really great! I'm liking it so far but I did run into a few problems.

Boiling the water doesn't seem to work in a campfire (at least not with a pot). It does work in a silver grill, which I'm guessing is because it's recognized as an "oven".

I also somehow managed to get 2 pots of dirty water. I'm not sure how/where that happened but I'll try to reproduce it and let you know.

Figured out that it occurs in any container recognized as an oven. A pot of dirty water can be placed inside and then removed to give another full pot of water. The new pot of water has the option to "pour on ground" which results in a drainable full pot of dirty water. This can be done an infinite amount of times, resulting in an infinite water/cooking pot exploit. This also applies to microwaves, but doesn't apply when using a clean pot of water.