Ambient NPC Animations

Bloody Mary

honestly, i hope there are some times in the day when the player and the NPC's are standing around, sitting down, playing cards, talking.....maybe pulling up a chair to the fire and having a nice conversation around the fire pit. as i see it, those are the ways you really build a relationship with someone.

it's one thing to have their back while fighting a horde, that tells you some important stuff like who can hang and who panics. but you need to know the person, see how they handle the every day mundane stuff and try to get a feel for them when relaxed.

I must say I also would like it to get more personal, rather than them running around constantly improving the base and farming etc..

I know some won't agree with me but I really can imagine the NPCS adapting "the sims" relationship kind of system (without the bars & heavily modified). I would most definitely love this.

Every time I play, I want it to feel like an episode of The Walking Dead. I want to care about my little NPCS and make them "feel" like things are going to be ok. I wanna have responsibility for a group of characters with their own personality.

Anyway, I'd love for a smoking NPC to grab a cigarette once in a while and there actually be an animation for it, or the farming guy to guard his crops, walking around with a tool in his hand and the dog follow him around the field. I also wanna see NPCS chatting or watching tv, playing cards, falling asleep when on guard duty and so on... :)

Maybe there could be a "passive mode" that kicks in when there's not any zombies around and they're inside the walls of our base? When they actually relax and tend to other duties and act less like a player and more like a person. :P

Maybe I dream too much, sometimes I worry everyone (including me) have too much hype for future features. I see people talk about so detailed stuff it's crazy if it could be implemented in the game.

Anyway I'm sure it won't be disappointing. Everything that TIS done so far with the game have been amazing. This is easily the game I look forward to the most. Even in it's current state it's mind blowing and there is no other game out there that handles the Z apocalypse this well.

I must say I also would like it to get more personal, rather than them running around constantly improving the base and farming etc..

I know some won't agree with me but I really can imagine the NPCS adapting "the sims" relationship kind of system (without the bars & heavily modified). I would most definitely love this.

Every time I play, I want it to feel like an episode of The Walking Dead. I want to care about my little NPCS and make them "feel" like things are going to be ok. I wanna have responsibility for a group of characters with their own personality.

Anyway, I'd love for a smoking NPC to grab a cigarette once in a while and there actually be an animation for it, or the farming guy to guard his crops, walking around with a tool in his hand and the dog follow him around the field. I also wanna see NPCS chatting or watching tv, playing cards, falling asleep when on guard duty and so on... :)

Maybe there could be a "passive mode" that kicks in when there's not any zombies around and they're inside the walls of our base? When they actually relax and tend to other duties and act less like a player and more like a person. :P

Maybe I dream too much, sometimes I worry everyone (including me) have too much hype for future features. I see people talk about so detailed stuff it's crazy if it could be implemented in the game.

Anyway I'm sure it won't be disappointing. Everything that TIS done so far with the game have been amazing. This is easily the game I look forward to the most. Even in it's current state it's mind blowing and there is no other game out there that handles the Z apocalypse this well.

The difficult part of that mechanic would be writing the code for establishing "safe zone" bounds on areas that can change in size as you add onto your base.

Especially when the "safe zone" could suddenly change if a zombie hoard gets pulled nearby by the metagame.

Otherwise, your dream sounds pretty frickin sweet

If you get enough NPCs in your group, eventually you're gonna get to a point where someone is done with their assigned duties and has some down time. Or it could be that their assigned duty is to stay at the safe house and make sure it stays... you know, safe. Either way, they're gonna have some time on their hands and the ambient actions as you described might be a good thing. Could even build camaraderie by doing group activities or blow off steam by reading a book and taking your mind off things. It could definitely stand to mprove the group's morale.

Imagine this glorious scene!

Kenny the manly bad ass survivor and Billy, the cowardly wuss start playing cards when Mary joins then Bob, John, Mr. Titty (my character of course) and Frank join. Soon they start a great game of poker when Mr. Titty realizes John hid an ace up his sleeve and Mr. Titty pulls out his shotgun. Before everyone can react, John lies on the floor dead and Billy is running out of the base.

Kenny pulls out his gun and shoots at Mr. Titty when Bob (Mr. Titty's friend) Jumps in the way dieing for his friend. This gives Mr. Titty time to get his shotgun ready again when Billy runs back inside with a bunch of zeds on his tail! They eat him and Mary. Frank yells for everyone to get to the watch tower (where he left his sniper rifle) and bolts out the door. Mr. Titty shoots at the zeds but one lunges on Kenny.

Kenny kicks it off as Mr. Titty makes a run for the exit when he trips on a stack of playing cards that fell off the table when he shot John! A zed grabs Mr. Titty and eats him.

YOU SURVIVED 5 MONTHS AND 3 DAYS

Um... I mean... I love this idea!

That would also be awesome. Would encourage the group leader to better handle interpersonal relations between group members. Try and keep NPCs who hate each other (or at the very least rarely see eye to eye) from idling in the safe house at the same time. That way they don't butt heads too frequently.

Oh man... a whole NPC interrelationship system would be onerous, especially if the NPCs are randomly generated (like I think the devs are planning).

It would be much easier to implement if there were set characters (like in the Jagged Alliance series). However, we are talking about hitting the random button in the character generation screen and dropping it in as an NPC, much more difficult to implement, unless we have certain personality traits dislike other personality traits (which could be doable, I suppose) .

Then that would require the addition of personality trais which the only personalities I read as being planned are, survivor (will join yous/any group), loner (will not join groups) and gun nut (always hostile).

That... is very outdated information. All npcs will have a whole host of personality traits that will make each individual act and behave differently. They're gonna be really complex.

Well, I am rather glad that is outdated info... can you point me to a source? The info I gave was the only thing I could find in the mondoids.