Slice Fruits

B4nny

This might be a tiny idea. and i can already feel people hunting my idea down. but still:

How about the ability to Slice Fruits like the Melon. but with Orange,apple...etc.(maybe even veggies?)

Reason: when its Rotten u cant use it for trapping , right?

but: when u slice an apple , say u get 4 pieces. 3 rotten and 1 eatable. which now u can eat or use for the trapping bait.

the better the cooking skill the more slices and/or eatable slices u get.

so we can have fruits in late game. since there is no other way to get them.

i wanna use an orange as bait. but all fruit is rotten at the point where i am :(

The only difficult part of this would be implementation.

The idea conceptually is sound.

It would require the whole food rotting system to change from a stages (EG. Fresh, Normal, Rotting) system to a % fresh/rotting system.

This would not be difficult to code but imagine the taxation on your computer processingto keep track of the % of freshness on ALL of that perishable food in ALL the quadrants you have been in...

Too much for the metagame to keep track of I think.

I Dont think so. Because its already in the game. :) cooking level 5 allows u to use a percentage of rotton food. Could be somewhat like that.

The only instance of that I can think of is that you can make less satisfying foods from rotten foods if you have a cooking skill of 4 or higher... that system still uses the fresh,normal,rotten tier system...

Granted, I never fully explored the food and cooking system so I could absolutely be wrong. When I get time I will code peek to be sure.

I was taking an approach to requiring the player to slice his food prior to canning (for the canning mod I'm developing), which I implemented in the first few versions, but then I removed it.

Either way what I'm trying to say is that this is one of the easiest thing to implement mod-wise. You're pretty much messing around with just new items and recipes and a bit of lua code for food items.

Messing around with food items is like baby steps into modding PZ.

That said, someone should have a whack at it.

I was taking an approach to requiring the player to slice his food prior to canning (for the canning mod I'm developing), which I implemented in the first few versions, but then I removed it.

Either way what I'm trying to say is that this is one of the easiest thing to implement mod-wise. You're pretty much messing around with just new items and recipes and a bit of lua code for food items.

Messing around with food items is like baby steps into modding PZ.

That said, someone should have a whack at it.

I agree, it is easy to implement sliced fruit into the game, Slicing food is an easy recipe of Apple+knife=4 slices of apple, for example.

However, I think that B4nny is trying to make it so you can recover non rotted food from rotted food by slicing. Which leads to a whole separate issue of the rotting system.

It would not make sense to be able to say get 10% fresh apple from a rotting apple on the day it goes rotten and still be able to get the 10% a month or year later, which is the limit of the current rotted food tracking system. There is no percentage of rotted only rotted or not.

I guess you could write a mod to count the days after a food hits that stage, and use a mathematical formula to determine the edible portion after x amount of days, though again I point to the fact that different foods will rot at different speeds, compound that with some being in refrigerators for varying amounts of time, it would be quite the drain on the metagame processing power.

That is my understanding at least.