Dirty Water and Saltwater - get sick by drinking from the toilet / rain barrel, collect water from rivers

blindcoder

Awesome mod!

Is this mod properly synced in MP?

I know, I could simply test this but I would need to get another player and setup a extra testserver.

Honestly, I have no idea. I've never played PZ on a server and have little to no knowledge of how that works.

That being said, I based my code on the Campfire implementation, which does work with client/server instances, so I'm quite sure that it will work.

Can we still use dirty water to water plants?

Why waste good clean water on plants when you would rather use it to cook with.

Yes, you can use dirty water from toilets and rainbarrels for watering plants with no ill effects. You can not use saltwater, though.

I may be missing something obvious here and I apologize if I am, but why is it 'salt water'?

Geographically there isn't any salt water in KY. At least nothing flows in from the sea and there isn't any major salt lakes (at least non that popped up in my Google search). There is the Salt River, but it is just named that after a salt lick in the region (that is not on the Salt River). Its actually 'fresh' water. So why are we dealing with salt water? Is that a slang term for dirty water or something that I do not know about?

Maybe this is meant for the New Denver map and isn't an issue on the vanilla map?

Regardless, Blindcoder this mod looks awesome! I am eager to try it out after I just read about it in the newest Mondoid!

Keep up the good work; you never cease to amaze this community! Cheers!

I may be missing something obvious here and I apologize if I am, but why is it 'salt water'?

I was thinking about the same thing. Otherwise mod looks epic!

Yeah, I know :-( That's the one weak spot in this mod, tbh.

I really wanted to have players have to treat rain/toilet water differently than river water, and I also really wanted to have a still in the game, so it seemed like an obvious choice. Also, I did find a way to check if a tile is water, but I didn't find any differentiation between rivers, lakes and shores.

If you have a suggestion on what to rename salt-water to, I'm all ears!

If you have a suggestion on what to rename salt-water to, I'm all ears!

I sort of like H1Z1's "Stagnant" water for the state between dirty and clean. It's the "mostly safe, but has been sitting for an awfully long time" state.

That makes more sense, though rain barrel water should be fresh if the level is frequently adjusted (taking water out for use and refilling it from rain). If it's been allowed to sit for a while it goes stagnant and needs to be boiled. Dunno how that would be implemented, but it could be a good idea.

Another idea would be the construction of filters out of rags and charcoal. Easy to make, but time consuming to do as it requires you to manually filter the water from a dirty container into a clean container. Could probably even do it without the charcoal, but the water would be "poorly filtered" instead of just "filtered".

The biggest thing I can think of that would be a difference between toilet water and river water is that river water is more likely to have organic matter and other bits floating in it.  Toilet water would probably....and hopefully just be bacteria and not a whole lot of "stuff" floating in it.  *gagging at the mental image that just induced* so cleaning it would just require a case of bleach or boiling to kill off the bacteria in the water.  River water however is more likely to contain pieces of algae, leaves, rocks, aquatic / wild animal waste, etc so forth.  This generally requires that you have a system in place to remove all the foreign matter from the water, using filters as already pointed out by "Fluffy Bunny of The Buttercup Meadow", before having to clean it by either boiling it, using bleach, or distilling it like you currently have implimented. 

That stated though, a distillery seems a bit overkill for the amount of water / region the game takes place xD  Though atm you could probably just do some name changing and the processes that everything works on is still the same : )

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it!

I'll see what I will fit in, I'd just really like to keep the still in :) Maybe a kind of determining if a water source is saltwater or sweet water?

The filtration is something that interests me, although right now there's no charcoal in the game (though you could probably add a way to create it with wood + sealable fireproof container + heat) then grind it and make a simple water filtration system out of it.

That being said, I'm currently working on some aesthetics (both user-visible and code-only) which I hope to release later today. I'll then look into all of the suggestions!

New version 0.9 added to FP.

WARNING

0.9 breaks backwardscompatibility!

0.9 adds:

- Translation (currently EN and DE), but not in the inventory list

- New cooler sprites (thanks Thuztor!) being displayed when the cooler contains water

- Hides "Build a still" menu if player has no building materials

I have also tweaked the Item Distribution, all feedback regarding this (too frequent, too rare) is greatly appreciated!

I'm currently busy separatig the dirty Water parts from the salt Water parts so they can become independant mods that still work as expected when you run them together.

That way you'll be able to use the dirtyWater only for most maps and use the saltWater additions for maps like Vacation Island.

Just FYI :)

UPDATE

I have separated the dirtyWater parts from the saltWater parts. Both are usable independently or in combination.

If used by itself, dirtyWater will enable you to collect river water, but it's contaminated and needs to be boiled, just like toilet water and rainwater.

If both are used in combination, all water you collect from water tiles is saltwater. I suggest using saltWater only with Vacation Island and dirtyWater everywhere else.

You can also use saltWater by itself without dirtyWater if you want to.

Unfortunately, again no backwards compatibility. Sorry :-(